ROX ~ VIOLENT BREED

METALDUDE

Metal Defender
Apr 6, 2006
U.S.A.
I was thinking about these guys the other day!! Another great underated band!!! ROX!!!

roxcover.jpg

Rox were from Manchester, England, and burst onto the burgeoning “New Wave of British Heavy Metal” scene in 1982 with a semi-hit single, “Hot Love in the City” (Teenteeze Records, their own label). Their sound was hard glam rock, influenced by Sweet, Starz, Gary Glitter, and Thin Lizzy (obviously, Lizzy weren’t glam, but every UK hard rock band was influenced by them back then), and their image was an exact match- lotsa hairspray, eyeliner, and gaybar leather n’ chains. Of course, bein’ Brit lads, they completely lacked the cheekbones and pouty lips to successfully pull off such a look, which is why you think of Wrathchild if somebody mentions early 80’s UK glam metal (Ok, so maybe that doesn’t come up all that often in your household. Lucky you, Jack), not Rox. Not that Wrathchild were anything resembling pretty boys either, but they had fuckin’ bazookas and 12” stackheels and all manner of tranny overkill gimmicks to distract you from the street thug mugs behind the mascara. Rox, far as I know, had no “War Machine” to blow confetti to the back wall if things got weird, and were left to simply bang out their chug-chug flash metal dressed like Freddy Mercury’s houseboys.

The success of “Hot Love in the City” eventually landed them a deal with Music For Nations, the still-running UK heavy metal label that signed every metal band worth their Marshalls in the 80s, from Raven and Manowar to Tank and Rogue Male. In ’83, they released the “Krazy Kuts” EP, a sleazy sexplosion of meathammer pop hooks and scorch metal guitars. Of course, at this point they were aping Wrathchild’s slut bomb act so closely (the 3 songs on the EP were titled, respectively, “Sweet

Sixteen”, Sidewalk Strutter”, and “Shock Rockin'") that Rocky and the boys coulda sued the pink lace skivvies off of ‘em, but apparently there was plenty of room for enterprising cock rock bands at the time.

roxpic.jpg

They followed up in ’84 with their sole full-length album, “Violent Breed”. MFN had high hopes for their gutterglam heroes. Label honcho Martin Hooker even produced the record. And hell, it’s good ‘un too, but it didn’t stop Rox from imploding in less than a year. And ya know what’s weird? They were never heard from again, none of ‘em. Mark Savage, Paul Diamond, Red Hot Red- all those bitchin’ rock star names, lost to the ages.

roxpic2.jpg

But hey, maybe all they needed was one album- it’s not like there was any indication that Rox were gonna spiral off into new, daring directions, or nothin’. Pretty much every song on this record follows the standard flash metal rules of screech/riff/solo/big finish, and you can only do that so many times while dressed in a leather lace-up vest before things get creepy. In fact, opener “Love Ya Like a Diamond” pretty much blows Rox’s wad in one throbbing, three-minute hard-on of crunching guitars and horny yelping. There are a few other notable moments, however. “I Wanna Be a Hero” is remarkable not so much for it’s epic, screamalong chorus and it’s thunderous, arena rock guitars, but because it sounds more n’ a little like WASP’s “I Wanna Be Somebody”. Be interesting to see who came first, cuz it’s not like LA metal bands were above copping foreigners when no one was looking (Ask Poison about Finland’s Easy Action next time ya see them). Otherwise, it’s just fun to hear how close ‘serious’ metal bands actually were to being just as cheesy as Rox were- “Wild and Crazy” sounds like early Overkill, only with a puffy Gary Glitter chorus, and the soprano vox and twin guitars on “Jailbait” ain’t all that far way from the Supersatanic-isms of Mercyful Fate. As if there ever was a difference between a skull and bones microphone and a stuffed leather crotch. All rock n’ roll is cock rock, really. Rox were just more honest about it then most.

Admittedly, Mark Savage’s high-pitched caterwauling dates “Violent Breed” like a motherfucker, but for gooey-glam kicks, it’s not a bad lil’ retro-ride.

-Sleazegrinder

http://www.sleazegrinder.com/flashmetalrox.htm

Yeah there were alot of cool tunes on this!!! Good times!

Back in the day when I had the vinyl single of WRATHCHILD Do U Want My Luv (right?)

Been looking for that tune on disc...one day. Violent Breed needs an upgrade onto disc. Long overdue IMO.

cool bio on the band-i have and still play the vinyl Violent Breed!

also, Love You Like A Diamond is on a cool comp album from back in the day-British Steel!!??:loco:

i have that on vinyl too:Smug:what year is it?

LMAO-at MYSELF:lol::lol::lol: