RTAS Distressor plugin for $1!!!!!

It isn't a "scam" if you got what you paid for. It'd be a scam if he charged $1 and never delivered the product.

he claims its a modeled distressor and
its as close to a distressor as it is to a potato salad.

As a DSP engineer, I can vouch for this post, and all of Fabian's brilliant posts on this blog. There are a lot of ridiculous, fraudulent "analog modeling" plugins coming out at the moment, made by random n00bs who seem to have little or no clue about DSP, and even less of a clue about analog sound.

I've even seen some high gain "amp modeler" plugins lately that don't have any oversampling - this would have been considered awful even by the standards of digital distortion FX processors 20 years ago!

As soon as I'm done with my next major plugin release, I'm going to be posting a tutorial video to YouTube entitled "How to tell if your plugins suck." It will be easy for anyone to do, using free software tools.

As soon as I'm done with my next major plugin release, I'm going to be posting a tutorial video to YouTube entitled "How to tell if your plugins suck." It will be easy for anyone to do, using free software tools.

May a thousand vaginas find the way to your lap, kind Sir. :worship::kickass:

If you can't already HEAR that they suck, would it really matter if you had proof?

:D

Actually, yes. Dodgy plugins that sound reasonably OK by themselves on a single track can cause sonic anomalies that crowd a mix, especially once mastering is put into place (and even more especially if there are dodgy plugins on the master bus itself!) These issues are elusive and lead to a lot of wasted time in the studio trying to fix problems with surgical EQ that are not solvable in such a way (aliasing, for example, is constantly on the move, responding to music in an amusical way, and no EQ will solve it.)

Also, sonic placebos being marketed as "analog emulation" when no such attempt was made (even vaguely) undermine all the real hard work being done by DSP developers who have devoted years of hard work (and money) to their education. It's not just random insurgent n00b developers doing this either - there are some big names that have tarnished once good reputations with rushed to market garbage with fancy UIs as of late also...

Psuedoscience needs to be shunned. As we're seeing in medicine today (Dr. Oz and his magic beans, NaturalNews, etc.), it's easy to fool people, but that doesn't make it right. One key to fixing this is education. The more scientifically literate the market is, the less receptive it will be to hucksters.

PS - that was a great question, and I really appreciate you asking it, as it will make my video better. :kickass:

It was a joke but glad it helped. I totally agree with you, one of the reasons I like that Gearevu site.

Actually, maybe start out the video comparing a plugin with a generic GUI to one with an analog modelled GUI. Stating that the second one is much warmer, adds subtle but pleasing saturation etc. Play the clips again, then reveal that the two plugins are the same underneath the graphics, with no different curve or harmonics added.

Also, sonic placebos being marketed as "analog emulation" when no such attempt was made (even vaguely) undermine all the real hard work being done by DSP developers who have devoted years of hard work (and money) to their education. It's not just random insurgent n00b developers doing this either - there are some big names that have tarnished once good reputations with rushed to market garbage with fancy UIs as of late also...

What big name developers are doing this??

Focusrite's Midnight series is entirely digital with nice GUIs. The promise the Focusrite sound and are identical to your stock plugins (or maybe worse depending on the DAW haha)

Cytomics "The Glue" (an indie dev but very well known) is said to be analog modeled on the 80's SSL bus compressor. It has linear frequency response, no noise and a static saturation behavior.

The Waves SSL Bus Comp "analog" button only adds noise, the very small amount of distortion remains constant.

Is the "analogue" button in waves product supposed to produce something different ? Is the noise coming from actual gear different from random (white/pink/whatever) noise and is it in any way a function of the input in real life ? I am curious !

I know Fabrice Gabriel said that the hiss in the VTM (I think it was VTM, maybe VCC) was essential to getting the sound right. I think that's what Waves went for with their Analogue button, but it only added static hiss.

@Kazrog, "I'll only reveal some methods on how to figure this stuff out for yourself." is this to be in your videa, or do you care to share here?

As a DSP engineer, I can vouch for this post, and all of Fabian's brilliant posts on this blog. There are a lot of ridiculous, fraudulent "analog modeling" plugins coming out at the moment, made by random n00bs who seem to have little or no clue about DSP, and even less of a clue about analog sound.

I've even seen some high gain "amp modeler" plugins lately that don't have any oversampling - this would have been considered awful even by the standards of digital distortion FX processors 20 years ago!

:headbang: May the force be with you bro.