Rugby World Cup!

Looking at previous and possible results these would probably be my predictions for the next stages of the cup

Quarter Finals
Australia v England
New Zealand v France/Ireland
South Africa v Wales
Argentina v Scotland

Semi Finals
Australia v New Zealand
South Africa v Argentina

Other than some possible shocks, naturally involving our teams (England losing to Samoa or Tonga, Wales losing to Fiji, Scotland losing to Italy), Group D is the hardest to call. I could see France beating Ireland but Ireland beating Argentina, leaving final positions down to bonus points. The winner of that group has got the best chance of a semi, and out of those teams, France are probably the only ones capable of beating South Africa

At the same time, Scotland are capable of beating Argentina, so might be our best hope for a semi final place

Well I would certainly rather face Argentina than the other 3 Southern Hemisphere sides...but Argentina are no mugs these days eh? I for one would love to seem them involved in the "7 nations" next year. Apparently they have already indicated that they would love to be involved and would base themselves in Spain for the duration of any tournament

Argentina knocked us out of the 1999 World Cup, and they've beaten us twice already this year, but still I think that they're a beatable team on any given day. A theory which I would'nt apply to New Zealand, so if we end up playing them in the quarter finals then I think our time will be up. :lol:

Is there any matches on tonight? I know there's Champions League, but after last night I think that I'd like a change of sport for a bit. :lol:

i'll be watching arsenal in the champions league, so luckily its italy v portugal in the rwc (guessing thats in itv4)

wales tomorrow night though, better alternative than the uefa cup games

Wales tomorrow? Ah!

I'm quite a fan of the Uefa Cup, and Spurs as it happens... So I might have to flick between the two of them tomorrow night. :)

I assume that ITV sha'nt be showing the United game if they have both the Arsenal match + Italy/Portugal tonight. I'm not complaining though, spoilt for choice!

I'm worried about tonight! We don't have any reason to be confident, but from what I can see the French are very nervous! The French press have been printing stories this week about Irish players personal lives in order to unnerve them... Our guys really owe us a good performance, fingers crossed!

Well, interesting weekend. Improved performance from England, gonna be tough for Ireland now against Argentina, Wales line up Fiji and Scotland have a toughie against Italy. Having said that, Tonga won't be a walk in the park for England and neither will Fiji be for Wales!

and you can't really count out the Italians against the Scots, considering (through Scottish errors) they went 3 tries up in the first 10mins or so in this year's 6 nations game

interesting debate on bbc site about whether the haka should be allowed to take place as the last thing before game start (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/rugbyworldcup/2007/09/hacked_off_with_the_haka_1.html), personally i can see how it can be a form of intimidation, especially as some of them appear to have aggressive gestures

Personally, I love the haka in all it's variations. All adds to the spectacle in my opinion!

Definetly!

Do you remember last year (against Wales, I think!), the All Blacks were'nt allowed to it on the pitch before the match for whatever reason, so instead they did it in the dressing room.. Which shows that aside from being the scariest thing in the world of sport, it also does have meaning to the players themselves. :)

They were allowed to do it. They personally chose to do it in the dressing room because Wales wished to respond to the Haka with a traditional Wales anthem (which they had done the previous year at the Millenium Stadium).

The All Blacks threw their toys out of the pram because Wales had the sheer audacity to request the last say at home. If it had been in New Zealand then I would have backed the All Blacks decision

Well.....Wales crashed out didn't they? Got exactly what they deserved for not playing 80 minutes again. I'm glad to see that the coach has been fired today though as I believe he, along with his dubious selection policies didn't help matters.

I guess I'll need another team to support now...might go for Argentina!

Wales seemed to do their best to throw away the game against a very physical Fiji side. Then they pulled back into it with some brilliant play which also seemed to correspond with Fiji becoming over physical. Finally, Fiji managed to pull enough out to squeeze past the Welsh

In some ways, I'd like to see the French finish second in their group (unfortunately this would probably lead to the Irish getting knocked out), as I feel they might be able to give the All Blacks a game

i thought argentina played a better game with more game tatics than ireland, the kicks chips and runs they used just had more flare than the irish this time

come on the kiwis :headbang: france will be a tough game

I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching things unfold now that Ireland are out, it was painful to watch just how bad our team has fallen apart in the recent months, I really hope that things can get back on track :(

Dan Carter of New Zealand has signed for Munster (Cork being the largest city in Munster), so yay! :D