Runescape Video Set To "Eaten" by Bloodbath

^ i've actually had the same problem as well years before, i was soo psyched with video games, and i used to spend more than 6 hours without realizing that i'm hungry lol !! now i'm getting some weights back. Plus, i would read books or watch documentaries rather than playing games, at the end of the day, whatever you do in the game stays in the game :p !!!

Yes. Why not?

Oh wait, better answer...

You don't play online games for years because you are fat...
...You are fat because you've played online games for years.

Sure, it's a joke, and doesn't nesserily applies. I guess, for your health, the best thing to do is stop it and go do some exercices, sports or lipo-suction :rolleyes:. Roll-eyes fight.

biggest loser :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

or education, whatever, just dont sit there killing a troll with a sword its taken you 3 years to get in a cyberworld that obv doesnt matter one iota. ftr sports is probably one of the best things you could ever invest in... meet new people (not via a chat room), keep fit, be competitive, get paid if youre good enough. why the fuck wouldnt you want to do sport?

There are people that play e-sports that get payed a decent wage, the lowest usually 15-20k a year whilst the best may reach 200k. Specifically, Starcraft in Korea. They even have two dedicated korean channels that broadcast it (OGN and MBC), and matches that are played live are available for spectators to view. The 15-20k may seem like nothing, but they dont pay board, electricity, gas, food or water bills so essentially they pocket 20k at the end of the year.

Why not do sport? You can exercise without playing a sport. I don't play a sport but i exercise. There are other ways to be competitive outside of sport (e-sport as an example...many people like playing games such as Starcraft or Counter-Strike, and there are ladders and competitions for those too.)

Killing a troll and taking his money may not be physically real, but what does it matter? It brings enjoyment to the people that play. Also, if you are going to say that virtual games don't matter, I'll say that physical games don't matter either. What's so damn impressive about them? That they are real? E-Games are real too, that gold is made up of little bits of information and scripts and represented by pixels. People buy and sell debt and other securities on the ASX, are you going to tell me they aren't real, because you can't touch debt?

You can meet people through all sorts of facets of your life, and yes, I have met people through E-games and they are some of the nicest people I know.

Sport is boring. All the sports that exist nowadays are mundane, except a few of the cool ones I haven't experienced like Ultimate Frisbee. You can keep fit working out and bike riding, and be 'competitive' playing computer games. Computer games have a much broader variety and allow you to do things you won't ever do in the 'real world (Killing a troll etc.)

I know about your redemption and your wish to become more constructive, but take it easy, ok? I fear that if you keep going this way, you will radically fall again into heresy.

Anyway... what's the difference? None really, just do what you want, and what seems better for you, or just die, I don't care. Even if I pass a lot of time on computer (that's what I'm studying in), I think that people that pass their life on it tend to lose all sense of sociability, and that they'll eventually have problems with it. There's already so much to discover in the real world, you don't need trolls; you just need to know where to look at. I don't know, I just always had the feeling that computer and video games were, in the end, not something positive. Sure I can't prove what I say, and I don't want to. I'm just bored and don't know what to do with my life. Norway next year, hopefully.

And I often try to think about things with some distance. If we take the computer world and online games, actually you are a guy who passes his life exploring what some group of programmers made for a living. It's okay as a hobby, it's like reading, but I just find incredible that for some, it's just all their life (there's a guy in my class like that, so I have a good reference on the possible impact).

I know about your redemption and your wish to become more constructive, but take it easy, ok? I fear that if you keep going this way, you will radically fall again into heresy.

Anyway... what's the difference? None really, just do what you want, and what seems better for you, or just die, I don't care. Even if I pass a lot of time on computer (that's what I'm studying in), I think that people that pass their life on it tend to lose all sense of sociability, and that they'll eventually have problems with it. There's already so much to discover in the real world, you don't need trolls; you just need to know where to look at. I don't know, I just always had the feeling that computer and video games were, in the end, not something positive. Sure I can't prove what I say, and I don't want to. I'm just bored and don't know what to do with my life. Norway next year, hopefully.

What did I do wrong? I just defended something with points I think are valid, and I didn't insult anybody. I've seen worse posts lately (Dimmu Borgir thread.)

And I often try to think about things with some distance. If we take the computer world and online games, actually you are a guy who passes his life exploring what some group of programmers made for a living. It's okay as a hobby, it's like reading, but I just find incredible that for some, it's just all their life (there's a guy in my class like that, so I have a good reference on the possible impact).

There are also many things that cannot be experienced in this world naturally, or are far too costly / time consuming to undertake. Trolls dont exist in this world and therefore are appealing to people because its a form of escapism.

People that devote their lives to sport, music or other hobbies may also end up in dire straits themselves. Some people devote all their lives to making music or playing an instrument, how does that differ to devoting themselves to a particular computer game, or sport? Games and sports can be beautiful and creative too.

Seems like we misunderstood each other, then. You did nothing wrong, like I said, because nobody can decide what's good for one or not. It's social vs. personnal. I was just expanding my own point of view on the subject, because I don't like the idea of being fixed on virtual life. Sure, it's personnal, and I do not pretend to possess the truth.

Umm well about the trolls... actually you are not experiencing the killing of a troll... it's virtual. If you really were in front of a real troll, then it would be different, and probably quite more exciting. But I guess that, when you study these things at school, video games lose most of their immersion on you. But like you said, it's probably a "form of escapism", but do you think it is positive to escape from reality. Wouldn't life be "better" if everyone accepted life as it is now, and found a way to appreciate without having to refuge themselves in virtual worlds? Sometime I think so. To me, video games were basically made as a distraction like anything else in life; nothing that could harm. But at some point, people were just getting too much into it, like if it was real, like if they could have a second life, and they forgot everything about what life is. It feels like a denaturation, some kind of brainwash. This is just how I feel, but life itself is a constant brainwash.

I mean... what's more gratifying: a virtual accomplishment or a real-life accomplishment. Efforts are necessery to bring you to something more rewarding, and that's the problem with virtual worlds. You get to accomplish stuff but with no real effort, with lazy efforts, and in the end the satisfaction of it is so much lesser. That's why so many addicted to video games are getting into depression and stuff like that. Whenever you have an ideal, you will feel that, soon or later and even if you like it a lot, putting so much time on these games will be perceived as a failure. And so many just can't get out of it, because they wouldn't know what to do next, they don't have any project, any expectation in real life, and there's no more motivation because it was such easier to be rewarded in video games and now they have to face bigger obstacles. I'm telling you and I think it's quite obvious, our society is lazy, and addiction to video games is one of the repercution of the progress of technology (and laziness, if I might add).

That's pretty much what I had to say.

Seems like we misunderstood each other, then. You did nothing wrong, like I said, because nobody can decide what's good for one or not. It's social vs. personnal. I was just expanding my own point of view on the subject, because I don't like the idea of being fixed on virtual life. Sure, it's personnal, and I do not pretend to possess the truth.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a virtual life, as long as you can function outside of it, i.e a job. I happen to play alot of games, I do other things outside of the games though, like study, work, music, exercise etc. But I understand people that are fixated on games because it offers a different attraction to other, less-virtual things. The world is not a perfect place, and many things that are fantasy will simply never, ever become a reality, at least in this lifetime.

Playing games is fine, and 'being' in a virtual game or simulation is fine too, as long as you can discern what is game and what is not (most people can, there are some nuts that can't but that is not the fault of the game but rather a fault of their personality and neural wiring.)

Most people that play video games though aren't exactly at the pinnacle of physical condition, so while they "can" exercise and play video games, most of them are just fat (i.e. shoveling down those pints of ice cream to keep them energized without ever getting up to work it off) or skinny (i.e. "i could get up to feed myself, but then i might miss good l00t")

EDIT: ok yea i realize most people that play video games actually aren't that addicted so don't take ^that^ literally, but the kids living in a virtual world typically are.

Umm well about the trolls... actually you are not experiencing the killing of a troll... it's virtual. If you really were in front of a real troll, then it would be different, and probably quite more exciting. But I guess that, when you study these things at school, video games lose most of their immersion on you. But like you said, it's probably a "form of escapism", but do you think it is positive to escape from reality. Wouldn't life be "better" if everyone accepted life as it is now, and found a way to appreciate without having to refuge themselves in virtual worlds? Sometime I think so. To me, video games were basically made as a distraction like anything else in life; nothing that could harm. But at some point, people were just getting too much into it, like if it was real, like if they could have a second life, and they forgot everything about what life is. It feels like a denaturation, some kind of brainwash. This is just how I feel, but life itself is a constant brainwash.

I mean... what's more gratifying: a virtual accomplishment or a real-life accomplishment. Efforts are necessery to bring you to something more rewarding, and that's the problem with virtual worlds. You get to accomplish stuff but with no real effort, with lazy efforts, and in the end the satisfaction of it is so much lesser. That's why so many addicted to video games are getting into depression and stuff like that.

You arent physically killing it, but remember this is a VIRTUAL game. Your actions led to the virtual destruction of the virtual troll. In terms of the game you are playing, there IS a troll that did die. It may be just bits of information projected onto a screen, but it's as real as its going to get.

Can you imagine really fighting a troll? Most likely you'll get torn apart and killed. Playing games allows people to experience it without a threat to their life.

Life isn't always fun, and sometimes you can't physically do what you want, and maybe you want a different take on life. Why should people just invest time in something, however real it is, in something they dislike, when they can invest it in something less 'real' but fulfilling? Life is life, in the end you'll die and it won't really matter what path you took, because all your senses and peceptions are dead.

You can accomplish stuff in video games and in no way are they lazy efforts. As an example, some of these Starcraft E-sports gamers train 10+ hours a day, everyday, for years. What is so lazy about that? Getting better at a game is an accomplishment for me, I'd much rather get better at a favourite game than learn how to properly swing a tennis racquet or etc.

Well I was talking about the extreme case because I know there is a big, big fucking lot today. I know a lot that are able to split between games and real life, and also believe I'm kinda part of them, but you need to take the worse example to understand a certain problem or situation, to understand what's wrong and what isn't.

Hmm well I'm not comparing with sports, and I really wish we can stop talking about the damn troll; I know you can get fun killing a troll. But I am 100% than anyone would find more excitement and "feel more alive" with real-life projects. Because the situation is actually quite paradoxal. If you are totally into video games, you know that the best thing for you is to play video games, that's what you like. But if you never take the initiative to try something else, to try other passion (this is worth for anything), you'll never understand how great real-life can be. Sure, it's neither good or bad, because most are comfortable with it. But I apologize for them. I really agree with you pessimist and fatalist point of view. That's really how life and reality is, you could just die and it doesn't matter. All I'm saying is that there are ways to appreciate more life, and I'm quite sure, with out current social way of thinking, that ANYONE would benefit of it. Even if you feel like computer makes more sense, is nicier, is more pleasant. There may be few exception, though; those who are completly mind-controlled by video games at a point that they could never get any motivation to try something else.

Anyway, my conclusion : You can be really, truly happy with virtual worlds, and that's alright. But I think there's just more to explore, it's just a matter of effort and will, which most people nowaday doesn't have. There's no way you can dictate how to be happy, and I know about that. For the others who just play sometime and are able to consider these games like a hobby, not a way of living, then I think it's socially better. Overally, I think that taking refuge in virtual worlds is socially negative, though might seem personally positive.

Well I was talking about the extreme case because I know there is a big, big fucking lot today. I know a lot that are able to split between games and real life, and also believe I'm kinda part of them, but you need to take the worse example to understand a certain problem or situation, to understand what's wrong and what isn't.

People smoke weed to evade reality, alot of musicians do it infact. You don't need to take the worst example in this case because while it may be triggered by the game, it's a fault of their brain. There is a chemical imbalance, missing enzyme or gene or whatever. Playing excess games does not cause someone to lose grasp of reality unless they are already afflicted with a mental problem. In that way, reading may create an altered sense of reality and they may lose their grip on what is physically real. It can happen with lots of different things, not just games.

Most people that play video games though aren't exactly at the pinnacle of physical condition, so while they "can" exercise and play video games, most of them are just fat (i.e. shoveling down those pints of ice cream to keep them energized without ever getting up to work it off) or skinny (i.e. "i could get up to feed myself, but then i might miss good l00t")

EDIT: ok yea i realize most people that play video games actually aren't that addicted so don't take ^that^ literally, but the kids living in a virtual world typically are.

=/ Musicians can suffer from the same problems as video game addicts, there are plenty of fat musicians and skinny musicians that have horrible diets and horrible exercise plans, because they are devoted to making music.

I think what you are saying is, people that are wholly addicted and immersed in a non-physical activity tend to be less healthy than those that aren't. I agree, but I don't limit it to computer games.

vuashke, you misunderstood my point. i play cod2 and whatever occassionally but i was pointing the finger at those who immerse themselves in the video game culture. and just as you point out, someone who is entirely immersed in just about anything suffer social and physical ramifications. someone who plays sports for 12 hours a day might be the worlds fittest person but in the end, their entire life is imbalanced. and thats the key, a balanced life. as far as your comparison with being competitive, theres a real difference in almost every possible way between online competitiveness and physical competitiveness. im just making a massive assumption here but im prepared to bet that those guys who are getting paid to play starcraft in korea are playing upwards of 6-7 hours a day which comes back to their life being unbalanced due to their constant commitment to and contact with something that is completely intangible and lacking in any real direction as well as being physically unhealthy. you may argue that people should do whatever makes them happiest but you have no right arguing that someone playing 10+ hours a day of computer games has any idea at all what makes them happiest, because they havent taken the time to figure that out.

*goes to play call of duty*

vuashke, you misunderstood my point. i play cod2 and whatever occassionally but i was pointing the finger at those who immerse themselves in the video game culture. and just as you point out, someone who is entirely immersed in just about anything suffer social and physical ramifications. someone who plays sports for 12 hours a day might be the worlds fittest person but in the end, their entire life is imbalanced. and thats the key, a balanced life. as far as your comparison with being competitive, theres a real difference in almost every possible way between online competitiveness and physical competitiveness. im just making a massive assumption here but im prepared to bet that those guys who are getting paid to play starcraft in korea are playing upwards of 6-7 hours a day which comes back to their life being unbalanced due to their constant commitment to and contact with something that is completely intangible and lacking in any real direction as well as being physically unhealthy. you may argue that people should do whatever makes them happiest but you have no right arguing that someone playing 10+ hours a day of computer games has any idea at all what makes them happiest, because they havent taken the time to figure that out.

*goes to play call of duty*

Lol by that logic NOBODY has any idea what makes them happiest because nobody in this world has ever done everything there is to do or experienced everything.

Theres a difference in the way different sports are competitive, i.e table tennis vs rugby. I don't like it when people simplify e-sports and pass them off as something that doesn't require time and effort and practise.