Runescape Video Set To "Eaten" by Bloodbath

How does that logic infer that in any way? If someone does ANYTHING for 10+ hours a day, they're not taking enough time to experience anything else in any real way, therefore they have no real basis on which they can form a reasoned opinion on what makes them truly happy. That wasn't an attack on computer nerds in any specific way, it's just the example being used here. Let me put it this way: if a massive jock (not computer nerd) played football (not on the computer) for 10+ hours a day he would not be able to spend enough time doing anything else that could possibly make him happier. Nobody has ever done everything there is to do or experienced everything? How insightful. You don't need to do everything or experience everything to keep looking for things that make you happy. I know I have a shitload of stuff that I'm passionate about, that I love doing, as does everybody, but you don't sit down and say "No, this is enough, I'm just gonna do this one thing because it makes me sort of happy." You keep looking. That's the real reason immersive behaviour is ridiculous because the person exhibiting it clearly lacks ambition and revels in the "this is good enough for me" creed.

"you may argue that people should do whatever makes them happiest but you have no right arguing that someone playing 10+ hours a day of computer games has any idea at all what makes them happiest, because they havent taken the time to figure that out. "

have YOU taken the time to do everything there is to do in life? No? Nobody has, so the argument that these computer nerds that spend 10+ hours a day don't know what true happiness is is invalid.

Where do you draw the line? 10+ hours? 5 hours? 1hour? You could go as far as to say that ANYTIME spent doing things youve already done is a waste of time, and that you could be out searching for true happiness.

Come on guys, live and let live. I have a dream that one day people will not be judged upon how much time they spend playing RPGs...

Also, so what, they spend 10hours a day playing video games? It's their job. It's how they earn their money. That's their only job, don't most people spend 8-10hours a day at least working?

Also, to think that because someone spends 10 hours a day on the comp they are living a defeatist lifestyle or 'this is good enough for me' attitude is pure speculation and is not evidentiary at all.

Well, in fairness, de_aztec makes a good point. Plenty of people spend 8 hour working days chained to a computer and still manage to lead somewhat normal lives.

have YOU taken the time to do everything there is to do in life? No? Nobody has, so the argument that these computer nerds that spend 10+ hours a day don't know what true happiness is is invalid.

Didn't I directly address this?

You don't need to do everything or experience everything to keep looking for things that make you happy. I know I have a shitload of stuff that I'm passionate about, that I love doing, as does everybody, but you don't sit down and say "No, this is enough, I'm just gonna do this one thing because it makes me sort of happy." You keep looking.

Where do you draw the line? 10+ hours? 5 hours? 1hour? You could go as far as to say that ANYTIME spent doing things youve already done is a waste of time, and that you could be out searching for true happiness.

Yeah you could go that far, if you were a massive fucking idiot.

Well, in fairness, de_aztec makes a good point. Plenty of people spend 8 hour working days chained to a computer and still manage to lead somewhat normal lives.

Yeah but being chained to a computer in a room with people you conduct regular social functions with is far different to focussing on a a screen occasionally typing a message to someone.

Again, this isn't restricted to computer nerds, I'm attacking any person who indulges in immersive behaviour.

That's not a very persuasive argument. If you are going to try and argue that spending excess time playing games = good enough for me creed, at least define the limit to which that creed becomes apparent, otherwise it is safe to assume that ALL time is = good enough for me creed.

What evidence is there to even suggest that people that play games for 8 hours a day are more unstable than people that work a boring, tedious job?

That's not a very persuasive argument. If you are going to try and argue that spending excess time playing games = good enough for me creed, at least define the limit to which that creed becomes apparent, otherwise it is safe to assume that ALL time is = good enough for me creed.

By using the word 'excess' in that sentence, you made that entire concept irrelevant. EXCESS time and time in general are two different things, therefore there is no way you can claim 'safely' that ALL time = 'good enough for me creed'.

What evidence is there to even suggest that people that play games for 8 hours a day are more unstable than people that work a boring, tedious job?

Yawn:

cpb.2005.8.110.fp.png_v03

Fair enough, you've made your point.

I don't have anything further to say, so I'll drop the off topic.