Rush Review

One of my friends saw Rush recently and wrote a little review. Since our Rush show is coming up in Irvine I thought I would post his review:

Last night, my son and I went to Raleigh to see RUSH; it was a combined birthday present for him and Father's Day deal for me. They played for three hours, and it was awesome! They 'opened' for themselves, playing for an hour and a half, took a short intermission, and then played another hour and a half, concluding with a three song encore. That had three giant video screens, and a lot of interesting video presentations. They played 27 songs:

Limelight
Digital Man
Entre Nous
Mission
Freewill
The Main Monkey Business
The Larger Bowl (with McKenzie Brothers intro)
Secret Touch
Circumstances
Between The Wheels
Dreamline
(-Intermission-/video intro)
Far Cry
Workin’ Them Angels
Armor And Sword
Spindrift
The Way The Wind Blows
Subdivisions
Natural Science
Witch Hunt
Malignant Narcissism
Drum Solo
Hope
Summertime Blues
The Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer (with South Park intro)
Encore:
One Little Victory
A Passage to Bangkok
YYZ

The drum solo was awesome, and was followed by Alex Lifeson doing a solo on an acoustic guitar. It was a great three hours, and I yelled myself hoarse. Anyone that gets the opportunity to see them play will be in for a real treat.

One really cool thing was that I saw RUSH in 1984; I described to my son Neil Peart's rotating drum set. It was neat that he does the rotating drum solo, and that David was able to experience the same thing that I saw 23 years ago.

I've seen Rush 20 times but I've never before seen them play:
Digital Man
Entre Nous
Mission
Circumstances
Witch Hunt
or
A Passage to Bangkok [except for the partial instrumental version they played last tour.]

I'm going to all 3 so cal shows.

That's a really great setlist. Rush is one of the few bands that really knows how to incorporate songs from all of their albums into shows.

I'd love to hear The Trees, and some of 2112.

I like the list :headbang:

I also heard Geddy came out at the end with his old Rick. Did your friend notice?

Jim

Just keep in mind, Jaco Pastorius said he never practiced on a fretless because the strings eat the neck up. He only performed and recorded on a fretless. Practice was on a fretted.

I always thought Malignant Narcicism had a strange sound. Ged on fretless and Neil on a 4 piece? No wonder.

Jaco was Jaco :) When you're kinda new at it you have to practice full bore, learn the characteristics etc.. It's very different than a fretted bass where your left fingering is concerned. If you're a righty...

As successful as he was I wouldn't think he'd worry about installing a new neck when the fretboard got chewed up. He had the flatwound sound but I'm not sure what Jaco used for strings. I use D'Addario round wounds.

I've been playing a lot of fretless lately and found it doesn't have to be 100% in tune, it's easy to compensate. It is however easy to play out of key, chords can be a bitch too.

I noodle on mine occasionally but that is about it. Fretless has a really cool sound but my I suck exponentially at it.

Wanda plays the ultimate fretless....:worship:
Symphony.jpg

One of my friends saw Rush recently and wrote a little review. Since our Rush show is coming up in Irvine I thought I would post his review:

Last night, my son and I went to Raleigh to see RUSH; it was a combined birthday present for him and Father's Day deal for me. They played for three hours, and it was awesome! They 'opened' for themselves, playing for an hour and a half, took a short intermission, and then played another hour and a half, concluding with a three song encore. That had three giant video screens, and a lot of interesting video presentations. They played 27 songs:

Limelight
Digital Man
Entre Nous
Mission
Freewill
The Main Monkey Business
The Larger Bowl (with McKenzie Brothers intro)
Secret Touch
Circumstances
Between The Wheels
Dreamline
(-Intermission-/video intro)
Far Cry
Workin’ Them Angels
Armor And Sword
Spindrift
The Way The Wind Blows
Subdivisions
Natural Science
Witch Hunt
Malignant Narcissism
Drum Solo
Hope
Summertime Blues
The Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer (with South Park intro)
Encore:
One Little Victory
A Passage to Bangkok
YYZ

The drum solo was awesome, and was followed by Alex Lifeson doing a solo on an acoustic guitar. It was a great three hours, and I yelled myself hoarse. Anyone that gets the opportunity to see them play will be in for a real treat.

One really cool thing was that I saw RUSH in 1984; I described to my son Neil Peart's rotating drum set. It was neat that he does the rotating drum solo, and that David was able to experience the same thing that I saw 23 years ago.

Not a bad setlist at all.