Russell Needs to Do PPVII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Aug 1, 2005
Batavia, IL
www.myspace.com
Hey Russell!!! You listening?? No, not you Jax. Russell??? For the love of God, please do PPVII with Jorn. What is it going to take man? Some people pooling together to pony up for your airfare too/back in a 24hr span. You were/are part of some very special music on The Battle. Now step up and do it justice live! One date! Is this too much to ask. When will there be a better time to do this with Jorn??? Just please do it, and put this album to rest.

Thing is, odds are that the band's cd will be coming out at around the same time, & the related touring takes precedence over a single solo performance.

Come on, Rocky, you read what Glenn said on the ProgPower forum. Russ has declined for now the invitation because of possible scheduling conflicts. In other words, he isn't going to commit to something and then have to back out. No point in harassing him here.

First priority has got to be Symphony X and promoting the next cd. MAYBE when the band has their schedule more solidified, then he can consider the side trip. No way to do that this early.

It IS early, you know. Just 'cause we all started planning last November doesn't make it happen any sooner. :loco:

The guy who's doing PP is being quite the ass this year, look at the rules for cameras and such. not to mention $104 per 2 day ticket for these bands, where like only 1 is really a big band (evergrey)..

http://www.progpowerusa.com/event.php

The money being generated will go towards hiring someone to check the cameras, additional paid spys in the audience, and metal detectors

What is this, Woodstock or something?

It's called bootleggers pissing of record labels who are putting the heat on the promoter. :Smug:

This event has had increasing problems with bootleg videos over the past couple of years, and some labels and band managements are insisting some control be exercised or their band won't sign on. Glenn has tried to be lenient, but he keeps getting screwed. How many other festivals are you allowed to bring cameras? More venues and bands are eliminating all camera use. Glenn is trying to continue to allow digital cameras and eliminate the possiblility of illegal videos.

On a side note, while YOU may think there is only one big band, others will differ. I am one of many who are psyched to see a large number of the bands. This festival is not just about the most popular bands, but about exposing new talent. That is one of it's greatest appeals.:headbang:

when I mean "big band" I mean a band that sells hundreds of thousands of albums...

And when I saw Dream Theater (which is a bigger band then all those at PP put together) no one had any problems with cameras or video of which I got both. A 2 min fuzzy video isn't going to hurt any of the bands or the record labels, if anything, it help promote them.

And Dream Theater is also one of the most bootlegged bands in the world. The camera rule is a lot better than having no cameras allowed at all.

Well, if you truly think you've got a good argument on the camera rule why don't you post your complaint here? If you read that thread it may become clearer why the video bootleg issue has become a problem for the promoter.

BTW, ProgPower USA is a unique festival that showcases bands that should be selling hundreds of thousands and gives them the chance to expand their fan base. We've got Ozzfest and Gigantour and their ilk to cater to the fans of the those bands already overexposed. The ProgPower fan tends to have a more open mind and an appreciation for talent regardless of current sales records.

RobbM said:
when I mean "big band" I mean a band that sells hundreds of thousands of albums...

Evergrey doesn't sell hundreds of thousands of albums, though. SymX actually outsells them, as far as InsideOut bands go.

Go symphony x!!!

I agree, the rule is silly. That's why i choose to not go to the festival. I have pics and videos i took of both symx and nightwish at PP4 (bear with me here) and they are such bad quality that i only watch them for my own perosnal memory. Nothing anyone else would be interested in. Also, for your info, Wacken and most other euro fests have no rules against cameras of any kind. Personally, i see no issue. Progpower is doing more for the bands at this point than the bands are doing for progpower, so Glenn *SHOULD* be able to tell them to blow it out their pretentious asses if they really have that much of an issue.

Thanks for the backup Zach..

hmm, I thought Evergrey were huge in Sweden and Europe since they were nominated for a grammy over there..PLus I thought there albums were going gold and such...

What are SymX record sales anyways, just out of curiosity..

Gold in Europe isn't quite the same thing as gold over here.:) Different numerical requirements.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just trying to explain what I know to be the reason for the camera rule at ProgPower. The promoter doesn't have all that much choice in the matter.

Here's the rules for Sweden Rock regarding cameras:

· Video cameras and any kind of sound recording equipment are totally forbidden. If this kind of equipment is found at the festival area you will be asked to leave it to the security and
will not be able to get it back until after the festival.

· Compact cameras are allowed at the festival area, although
not any professional cameras.

What get's tricky is controlling the digital cameras which are advancing to the point that some pretty compact little buggers have some pretty good video capacity.

AMBR said:
Gold in Europe isn't quite the same thing as gold over here.:) Different numerical requirements.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just trying to explain what I know to be the reason for the camera rule at ProgPower. The promoter doesn't have all that much choice in the matter.

Here's the rules for Sweden Rock regarding cameras:

· Video cameras and any kind of sound recording equipment are totally forbidden. If this kind of equipment is found at the festival area you will be asked to leave it to the security and
will not be able to get it back until after the festival.

· Compact cameras are allowed at the festival area, although
not any professional cameras.

What get's tricky is controlling the digital cameras which are advancing to the point that some pretty compact little buggers have some pretty good video capacity.

I don't think anyone should worry about it. How are a few videos floating around the internet reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally going to hurt a band? I better precede this once again to state that i'm not talking about bootlegs where people make money off of someone else's work, and just for the sake of jax, i'm talking about every band in the world other than symphony x :D

I have worked at a few webzines and work on my own now AMBR, so i am well aware of some artists being rather difficult with their photo passes and so on, even for press. Once we start talking about fans bringing shit, forget about it. My point was more in regards to progpower, there is not a single band on that bill that is bringing more business to Glenn. Hell, there *IS* no more business for Glenn. he sells out every year because he's amassed a following like no other festival in the world, which is great. If he chose to, he *could* easily tell a band who is worried about bootlegs to fuck right off, find another one who is willing to play to replace them, and not be effected at all. it is his choice not to. That's all i'm saying. That, and i think it's a silly rule and as a result, i won't be attending progpower.

Oh, and final note in response to your sweden rock thing. Wacken very well might have a no video camera policy (in fact, i'm sure they do) but by the same token, most people don't want professional shot video for their own personal use. And most people don't want to lug around professional cameras all day in that kind of sun. I don't think there's a problem with a little digital camera that takes perfectly decent pics and some perfectly fine video every now and then for a fan's personal use. Hell, even for free distribution throughout the interweb. What harm can it really do?

hah post 666 for you Zach! :headbang:

It is rediculous though...I mean, metal detectors for a prog concert? Thats going a bit beyond for just cameras..I'm sure Gigantour didn't have it this tough..