Russell Speaks About Gigantour

SyXified said:
I think a lot of the reason people compare Dream Theater and Symphony X is the instrumental virtuosity and complexity of arrangement that goes into both their writing styles. It's natural to compare Pagannini and Chopin, even though they played different instruments in different styles because both were pushing the boundaries of virtuosity in their fields. With songs like Death of Balance and Dance of Eternity, there is definitly a natural comparison to be made on musicianship, and that means, of course, that there is going to be evaluation of who is superior. So even though they are different genre's and a lot of their sound is different, the two are going to be compared and compared in a competitive manner. I don't think people feel like the members of Symphony X feel the need to compete with DT or that they don't like them, but the "who's better" debates with the fans is only natural for bands with such a strong emphasis on song writing complexity and instrumental prowess

it's natural, but sometimes when someone blurts out Petrucci owns romeo, that's where they cross the line when they don't state their opinions in the most polite way. And that is where everyone starts arguing who is better.

I think it is how the opinion is stated as fact that causes these confrontations.

nice interview. I, for one, love both DT, and SymX. They are both great bands, and I have enjoyed all of their cds for what they are. I hope to see them both on tour together one day, not on a festival tour.

ShokaiShimizu said:
I've met Mike Portnoy enough to know he's an asshole, and if the last three Dream Theater albums aren't any indication of how highly he thinks for himself, then I don't know what is.

Really? I've met him a few times, too, and he was always pretty friendly. Besides, DT isn't just Portnoy. I've met everyone in the band before (except Petrucci), and they were all really cool. Jordan in particular was very nice, and Myung was, too (although he didn't speak much, when he did he was very polite).

MorphineChild, I would never make assumptions about what you said to him...

but the times I've met him, if you don't praise him or Dream Theater right off the bat, then he doesn't feel the need to give you his time. And this has happened multiple times, especially if you mention other drummers, no matter what the context be.

ShokaiShimizu said:
MorphineChild, I would never make assumptions about what you said to him...

but the times I've met him, if you don't praise him or Dream Theater right off the bat, then he doesn't feel the need to give you his time. And this has happened multiple times, especially if you mention other drummers, no matter what the context be.

I never really noticed that. But yeah, that sure sucks that he acted that way.