Ryan Adams covering Maiden wearing Emperor shirt

It can also become a Maiden United thread and end all.

Seriously, they're awesome.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5MCi4eonkw&feature=related[/ame]

Has anybody listened to Ryan Adams's Orion album?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o6ppTe-SoE&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, I bought an Iron Maiden "Killers" shirt from the local Hot Topic store last night...not sure if this makes me "cool", or a "hipster doofus", or just lame...but I wanted the shirt and they had it... just sayin'...

For the record, I bought an Iron Maiden "Killers" shirt from the local Hot Topic store last night...not sure if this makes me "cool", or a "hipster doofus", or just lame...but I wanted the shirt and they had it... just sayin'...

It doesn't make you lame at all. I have bought quite a few awesome shirts at Hot Topic, including an Iced Earth one! :)

Hot Topic is run by evangelical Christians now, there is no way they'd stock Emperor.

hmm, Hot Topic is run as a public corporation by executives hired by a board of directors. If there is any evangelical Christian motive there they keep it well hidden! I guess this urban legend was launched by the fact that their new CEO, Lisa Harper, shares the same name as a *different* woman who writes Christian books?

BTW, their website lists a Cradle of Filth patch, plenty of Cannibal Corpse stuff, and no Emperor merch at all.

Neil

hmm, Hot Topic is run as a public corporation by executives hired by a board of directors. If there is any evangelical Christian motive there they keep it well hidden! I guess this urban legend was launched by the fact that their new CEO, Lisa Harper, shares the same name as a *different* woman who writes Christian books?

BTW, their website lists a Cradle of Filth patch, plenty of Cannibal Corpse stuff, and no Emperor merch at all.

Neil

It's not an urban legend dude.... Even if it is a publicly traded corporation with investors, they still need a CEO, CFO, etc...

Not to be a jackass, but I would like you to substantiate that claim.

(not that I give a shit about hot topic or anything. I haven't been 16 in over a decade.)

uuummm Hot Topic was never an underground store and was always catering to the "hip" market. Sure they had metal stuff there but never hard to find stuff.
Then the Hot Topic at the Queens Center Mall was a franchise operation, because I was shocked when they had stuff in there that you would never think they would have. Behemoth before they became somewhat big? Rotting Christ? Never thought I would see bands shirts like those there...but I did....and that was 5 years ago.

It's not an urban legend dude.... Even if it is a publicly traded corporation with investors, they still need a CEO, CFO, etc...

Ok, then just explain the details if you know them!

Hot Topic has had 3 CEOs: founder Orv Madden 'til 2000, then Betsy McLaughlin from 2000-2011, with Lisa Harper taking over in March of this year. So who was the evangelical Christian? Or maybe it's the CIO? The founder (usually the only person in a corporation with a personality) is long gone, no longer even serving on the board, and the board members all seem to be relatively faceless corporate suits (Harper came from Gymboree, the Chairman of the Board came from Borders, etc.) It just doesn't strike me as a corporate organization with any sort of point-of-view beyond making money.

Here is the only reference I could find on the Internet regarding Hot Topic and Christianity. It's from 2004, so maybe something changed between then and now, but it again supports the idea that they explicitly try to avoid having a religious angle:

Mall retailer Hot Topic Inc. caters to trendy teens with T-shirts and music from Christian rock bands such as Blindside and Payable on Death. The stores won't sell merchandise with religious references or symbols, whether Christian crucifixes or pagan pentagrams. "We have a general rule," says Cindy Levitt, general merchandise manager for the 518-store chain, based in City of Industry, Calif. "If someone who isn't familiar with our store walks by our window display and is offended by what they see, we won't carry it."

You know even you can't get away with posting anything here that you haven't spent at least 8 hours fact-checking beforehand! :loco:

Neil

Have no clue who this guy is, and 10 plus released albums doen't guarante you will be well kno0wn

Just because Ryan Adams isn't known well by you or anyone else in this forum doesn't mean he isn't known to the outside world.

In my opinion, RA is one of the best, most talented singer/songwriters of the past 10 years. He consistently puts out great music, and always stays true to who he is no matter what the critics or anyone else says. I may be biased because I am an RA-junkie, following everything the guy has done since Whiskeytown's first album "Stranger's Almanac" was released. He's a genius, in my opinion. And for the record, the guy LOVES metal. Actually has released a couple of metal albums underground, and then one through his website last year. Can't wait to see him when he comes to Chicago in December.