Sörskogen

artnoir

Opethaholic
May 5, 2005
Sweden
myspace.com
I've read it somewhere but I can't remember...When did Mike & Dan record the Sörskogen stuff?

By the way, it would be cool if the rest of the songs they supposedly recorded were released...

hehe okej, har du släkt i sverige eller?
om jag vore du skulle jag stanna där nere ;) det är så jävla kallt och trist här just nu..

fy fan! det är hett...
här är det -10 och blåser som fan så det känns som det -25...
vart i sverige ska du då?

Här ÄR det -25 nu! Och blåser! Det är jävla kallt inomhus också. :(
Hope that was right.

Sörskogen is (at least) the name of Mikael's hometown.

fy fan...för kylan. men det är ju "true" ;)

Sörskogen translates to The southern forest or similiar. And yes, I still wonder WHEN it was recorded. Didn't find the answer in the threads in that link...

Here`s some info about Sörskogen.

Dan Swanö about Sörskogen

IL: Another band you and Mikael are working on together is Sörskogen. Are there plans to release anything or is it simply a just-for-fun side project you guys are toying with?

DS: Sörskogen is very much Mike's thing. I had just rebuilt my studio and needed to get some live action down there before I started to record my demos for what should later become Moontower (Deadlift note:released 1998). So I invited Mike to try some of his songs and that became "Mordet I Grottan" (The Murder in the Cave). I think Mike is taking it very seriously, it's very much his kind of "heart music".

IL: What does the music sound like?

DS: It's sounding a lot like early Camel mixed with early Genesis. Therefore we strived for a typical 70's sound with the muffled drums and the "dull-cotton bass" and Mellotrons, Moogs, etc. to match the music. It turned out great and people started asking for it. I always discuss the coolness factor of a whole album with that stuff, but now that Opeth's signed to Peaceville things are a bit harder. And now that I've started the giant Unicorn recreation project I will have no time left, I'm afraid!
But I know it would rip!

Wikipedia about Sörskogen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B6rskogen

Peter about Sörskogen

Tina: I also wanted to ask you a side project between Mikael and Dan Swanö -
Peter: Is it Bloodbath?
Tina: No, no - the other one, Sörskogen
Peter: Ah okay, that's the other one! Well, that was like a long time ago - he'd gone back home and had three songs in Swedish - you know, about where he was born or whatever (laughs) So he went down with Dan and recorded it at his studio at the time. Got drunk and had a good time, that was it. But actually… a part of that project is actually on Damnation - on "In My Time Of Need" there's a little vocal line that is from that project.
Tina: Wow, I had no idea! I heard Sörskogen and it sounded really mellow and proggy.
Peter: Yeah, but that was you know, at the time, it was a totally different thing. A very non-Opeth thing. But now that we had Damnation, it perfectly.

------------------------------------------

I guess they recoded it around 1997-1998.