Sabb's "Black Box" question

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Does anyone here own the Sabbath "Black Box" set? I've read that the sound is significantly superior to the 1996 Castle Records remasters (all of which I own). But is that accurate?

Can anyone here vouch for a sound supposedly significantly superior to the '96 Castle remasters?

I have the black box set, but not the '96 remasters:erk: . I will say this though, the production is amazing! I really like the way it's put together, but I suppose if the quality is about the same to the '96 remasters, there's no point in getting it. I still think it rocks, though.:headbang:

I have it too. I don't know that it is miles beyond the earlier remasters, but it did fix a couple of long standing oddities. For instance, at the beginning of Junior's Eyes on Never Say Die, they evened out the sound. I don't know if you listen to that much, but you may recall the bass and drums are VERY quiet for some reason at the intro. Not so now. That bugged me for years. Also, the mix is fantastic, but I didn't have enough of the other remasters to make a good comparison either. It's a bitchin' set though.

SoundMaster said:
Does anyone here own the Sabbath "Black Box" set? I've read that the sound is significantly superior to the 1996 Castle Records remasters (all of which I own). But is that accurate?

Can anyone here vouch for a sound supposedly significantly superior to the '96 Castle remasters?
I have all the castle remasters and borrowed a friends black box just to see if it was worth snagging...I couldn't tell the difference at all. Then a good friend of mine (A guitar player w/ crazy ears for sound) heard them both back to back and said the same thing...So I settled for burned copies of black box and kept my cash in my pocket. Hope this helps you out dude..

ElectricWiz said:
That's just the way it is, on all copies (remaster or no). Artistic producing no doubt.
I like the idea, but it's always really annoying when I'm listening to it, because it seems like they could have added another verse or something to make the song even better:erk:

T_man357 said:
I have all the castle remasters and borrowed a friends black box just to see if it was worth snagging...I couldn't tell the difference at all. Then a good friend of mine (A guitar player w/ crazy ears for sound) heard them both back to back and said the same thing...So I settled for burned copies of black box and kept my cash in my pocket. Hope this helps you out dude..

Awesome advice.
Thanks! :worship:

I guess I'm lucky.I managed to keep all my Sabbath on vinyl throughout the years.I don't know if the albums sound better but they sound good to me.

Somewhere I remember Mike Keneally saying that there were pictures of Gentle Giant in the booklet that comes with the box set. I don't know if he was joking or what, any pics in the book that look VERY non-Sabbath??

J-Dubya