Remasters: A debate

The Butt please tell me one more thing. Why the fuck would anyone complain about bonus tracks on a reissue? Why don't you just fucking NOT listen to them if you don't like them? You say they disrupt the flow of the album but they come AFTER THE ALBUM (usually). So what the fuck is your problem?

I dunno about the Butt (I'm guessing his reply will be some incredible piece of debating genius like 'Bonus tracks on a reissue SUCK. This is FACT. End of.') but for me I hate the bonus tracks because a. I have absolutely zero desire to hear shitty demo versions of tracks that I've just heard properly on the album, and b. I have no desire to be forced to get up out of my dang chair and change the cd when these tracks come on.

Remastering albums is not something I have a huge problem with unless they fuck it up. It all depends how good the mastering company is that does the job. Some are bound to suck. But saying that the original mastering is as important as the notes played is rubbish. We should also all have our Equalisers set to flat if that's the case.

What in the hell is wrong with the sound on the original Killers CD? It's a classic Martin Birch production, and would likely be my top pick for best sounding Iron Maiden album.

Agree 100%, love that album and the sound.

Sort of off-topic but related: what about bands re-recording albums?

Flotsam and Jetsam released "No Place for Disgrace 2014", a re-recording of the original album from 1988. The sound is definitely clearer but it's slower and the vocals have changed too much from the original - I don't like it at all.

The production of the original was what made it unique; re-recording it has made the newer version something different and in this case, something not as good.

For the remastering question, I think it depends on case by case. But one area where I usually always agree is remastering from stereo to 5.1 surround; the improvement on a good sound system can be really worth it.

What in the hell is wrong with the sound on the original Killers CD? It's a classic Martin Birch production, and would likely be my top pick for best sounding Iron Maiden album. I don't know what metal you listen to that it could be considered an example of "sounding like garbage".

The original CD pressing I heard sounded extremely flat. The remaster brought it in line with the vinyl, which was bumpin'.

So long as the remix and remaster is in line with the original atmosphere and "spirit of the album" then I don't see a problem. However, that rarely ever fucking happens.

Hating remasters when they're closer to what the artist originally intended is dumb, IMO. The artist had a vision and it didn't work right, so they get a chance to fix that. You're hearing a purer version of the product.

What usually happens, though, is they take an old album that sounded great, remove all the dynamic range, crank up the drums, call it a remaster. It's bringing albums made before the Loudness Wars into the Loudness Wars. Fuck that.

EDIT: I'm even a fan of re-recordings when done right. Burzum's "From the Depths of Darkness" sounded damn good, and it's a shame he did it like a greatest hits album instead of just picking one album and doing the whole thing.

I hate the loudness war in general. Also fuck my generation for not giving a shit about sq and listening to music through shit ipod speakers and phones.

Well most people are listening to pop music through those devices, all you're hearing most of the time is singing over a beat, why does it even matter? Listening to metal through those contraptions is utterly pointless though.

Well most people are listening to pop music through those devices, all you're hearing most of the time is singing over a beat, why does it even matter? Listening to metal through those contraptions is utterly pointless though.

?

The differences in headphones' sound quality are very well audible with a good pop record. In fact, I'd probably choose pop to evaluate headphones quality - because of the clean sound. Maybe some highly regarded audiophile classical or jazz recording for a high-end system, but I'm pretty sceptical towards audiophile gear anyway.

I have cca 170 usd AKG headphones and my pa recently bought like 200+usd ones. They look better but you think you can hear the difference? Sure, go on. Be the same faggot that says LPs have better sound than CDs.

iow, fuck you.

EDIT: not aimed at prophet tbh, aimed at those cunts I talked about.

I meant it makes a lot less of a difference for pop music than metal, in metal you need to be able to actually hear everything going on to fully enjoy it.

I meant it makes a lot less of a difference for pop music than metal, in metal you need to be able to actually hear everything going on to fully enjoy it.

Ok, I think I still disagree though. I think sound quality is a lot more important in pop than in metal.

EDIT: Even if the perfect mastering is just to mask the simplicity of the music.

Ok, I think I still disagree though. I think sound quality is a lot more important in pop than in metal.

EDIT: Even if the perfect mastering is just to mask the simplicity of the music.

I don't know man, it takes loudness to hear guitars and growling at high speeds, if it's just singing it's not that big of a deal, plus it's easier for most people to enjoy it because they just want to hear like their favorite chorus or something.

I like remasters because I can hear the bass better. I have band catalogs that are mixed with originals and remasters. I like the music. I don't give a fuck. Fuck off, Butt

I don't know man, it takes loudness to hear guitars and growling at high speeds, if it's just singing it's not that big of a deal, plus it's easier for most people to enjoy it because they just want to hear like their favorite chorus or something.

I doubt that the average casual pop fan would still like their favorite chorus as much if it wasn't fancied-up with a high-budget production. Production is critical in pop music.

I doubt that the average casual pop fan would still like their favorite chorus as much if it wasn't fancied-up with a high-budget production. Production is critical in pop music.

Yeah +1.

Well I myself like the "high-budget production" of pop from time to time. The beat is ultra fucking gross and MUST GO ON. Put yo handz up in da air etc.

Remasters are cool if the band originally meant to record it in that way, but couldn't afford to or something. If that's the case it'll usually end up sounding better, because the playing itself during that recording was aimed with those dynamics and specs in mind. Production of that remaster's caliber was the original goal.

But if it's a matter of let's get the cheapest microphone and just fuzzify the shit out of this from the get-go, it's totally a part of the music and really shouldn't be changed. Sometimes that shit just belongs.

I think it's more that LPs and cds often sound notably different, especially if they are mastered differently.

no fuck you

this is why you're not the captain

Au contraire, mon ami!

292px-William_Riker,_2379.jpg