Sabian?? (for drummers)

Satori

Destructosaur
May 2, 2001
.. from grey to black
Visit site
I used to think Sabian sucks. Now I think they are great cymbals. The reason? Lopez's cymbals on Deliverance sound fucking amazing, especially his ride, it's just lovely.

I actually have a Sabian 'extra heavy' 20" ride and I've had it for like 13 years now, and dispite the fact that I didn't like Sabian on the whole (they are kind of wimpy I thought) I've always loved this cymbal cuz it sounds so fucking great with nylon tipped sticks, and it has plenty of volume and sweet sweet balls. With woodened tipped sticks it's nothing too special though.

Anyway, I'm sure that Lopez is using nylon tipped sticks because his ride has such a bright and clear sound. Does anyone here know for sure what sticks he's using? Just curious, I know this is a lame thread, but there are lamer threads out there so if you have the urge to bitch at me for this lame thread let me save you the trouble by telling you to go fuck yourself ;)

sincerely,

Satori

All of my cymbals are Sabian. This is because I got an AAX Stage set on eBay for only $250, which is pretty damn cheap for brand new good quality cymblas (included a case too). I didn't have a big budget but I wanted quality cymbals so I figured that was my best bet.

But anyway they sound real nice. I bought another Sabian crash, hi hats, and splash after I got the set because I liked the sound and I wanted to keep the consistency going. Even now I'll sit back every once in a while and reflect on how nice they sound.

Here's what I have in case you're interested:
AAX 20" Stage Ride
AAX 18" Stage Crash
AAX 16" Stage Crash
AAX 14" Stage Hats
AAX 13" Fast Hats
AA 10" Splash

Actually I have a Wuhan china too, but I'm not using it right now. it sounds nice and trashy though. :)

Cool, thanks for the input man! :)

I have another Sabian, a 16" thin crash, it sounds really sweet too, and super clean (like all Sabians do) but it's kind of wimpy compared to the Zildjians I have which are extremely bright and cutting. At this point I'm finding that I like the Z Avedis ones a lot, they are clean and extremely bright and oh soooo hissy. I bought one of these, a 12" splash, it wasn't cheap at all (it was actually the most expensive splash they had there) but it sounds fucking amazing.

Right now I'm in the market for a very clean, bright, and trashy 16" or 18" china. Does anyone have any suggestions?

rock on,

Satori

Hey Martin 78, thanks for the info. I think it's fucking cool that he's getting that sound with wooden tips.

It's been my experience that the nylon tips break faster cuz they are thinner at the shart tip where the nylon head meets the wood. (?)

Anyway, how do you know this about our good buddy Lopez? Are you who I think you are? :)

hail Opeth!

Satori

My cymbals are Sabian, and they Rock! (hey i get paid to say that)

Sabian over Zildjian they ARE brother companies the similarities are noticeable. Sabian are going stale tho, they aren't really producing anything new or interesting lately and ive recently bought a K Zildjian hi-hat set (it is an old model refurbished) :(.

But remember, dont get Tempo! :D

Sabian VS Zildjian is just like Holden VS Ford, the argument will keep on riding, your either one for the other :) I used to lean heavily for Zildjian...

Rock on \m/

While those are all very good cymbals, they simply don't have the projection power necessary for rock applications. They could be mic'ed, but even so the sound usually isn't quite compatible with rock.

Originally posted by Fyhed
Sabian cymbols suck willies

Zildjian are the way forward...

My ride is the best in the world...

its a 22" K jazz ride
blows every other ride away i heard.

my hats are K dark hats AMAZING

crash is a 17" K AMAZING

splash is a 8" A custom AMAZING

sabian sounds rubbish IMO

Originally posted by Static
Martin 78 is Lopez methinks.

'78 is when he was born.

Ahh my powers of deduction are yet to fail me.

hehe ;)

I was thinking it was Mendez. But anyway, they're both infinitely cool ;)

woooooo opeth!! :)

Satori

PS: Damn, still love that ride on Deliverance!

hi, there`s two rides on "deliverance" one for the hard parts(Sabian 20"rock ride) ...and another for the softer passes (Sabian 22" vintage ride...an amazing cymbal.)
thanks

I've been playing drums for about 20 years and tried out Paiste, Zildjian and Sabian. Sabian is far the best brand I think, they last the longest and sound best.

My cymbal setup looks like this. (All Sabian cymbals)

15" AA Rock Hi Hats
17" AAX treme Chinese
19" AAX treme Chinese
18" AAX Studio Crash
20" AAX Metal Crash
22" HH Power Bell Ride
10" HH Duo Splash
8" AA China Splash

Originally posted by Martin 78
hi, there`s two rides on "deliverance" one for the hard parts(Sabian 20"rock ride) ...and another for the softer passes (Sabian 22" vintage ride...an amazing cymbal.)
thanks

Y not go with a Sabian 22" HH Rock Ride? In my experiance (about 12 years worth) thats the best sounding ride there is....
man all this experiance going to waste.... I *really* need to try and pursue my drumming career better..... usually helps to have a set tho...... god damn..... :cry: :cry: