safe to use 9.6v adapter in place of 9v?

s34nsm411

May 3, 2004
so i bought the wrong kind of adapter for my ibanez tubescreamer pedal the other day. i didnt realize till now that boss ones are 9.6v and not 9v. will i mess my pedal up from using the 9.6v adapter or does that small of a difference not matter?

Not an expert but I think you should be ok running it with that adapter. These things are usually built to withstand a good few variables like power input.

I've had different experiences...most 9v new that I test with a multimeter are at 6-8 volts...not bad for sound...has that sag...but not 9v.

I've run 12v to some devices...made them sound better...but in all honesty, this isn't always the case.

REMEMBER: more voltage=more heat=shorter lifespan of device, in theory.

Not a problem but the ampage is so if your pedal is asking for 300ma and you pump it with say 1a you will def fry your pedal.

Speaking from exsperience.

Holy misinformation batman.

When a pedal calls for say, 300mA, that is the MINIMUM the power supply should be. You could run a 300mA pedal off of a 100gazillionA power supply, and as long as the voltage is correct, you are fine. It would just be a waste of a huge power supply that can handle a lot more loads on it. If you are running two 300mA pedals, then you would need a power supply rated at a MINIMUM of 600mA.... Usually it's best to go higher.....

In your case, something else was fucked up......

I've had different experiences...most 9v new that I test with a multimeter are at 6-8 volts...not bad for sound...has that sag...but not 9v.
What brand are you buying?! I throw them away once they meter below 8.5v. During a busy week doing FOH stuff I might use 100 batteries (mostly WL stuff) and I've never had new one measure less than 9v. I'm not trying to be confrontational, just saying I meter a ton of 9v procells and 99% of them meter just north of 9.5v new. This also aligns with the fact that boss sells 9.6v adapters for it's stomp boxes.

Holy misinformation batman.

When a pedal calls for say, 300mA, that is the MINIMUM the power supply should be. You could run a 300mA pedal off of a 100gazillionA power supply, and as long as the voltage is correct, you are fine. It would just be a waste of a huge power supply that can handle a lot more loads on it. If you are running two 300mA pedals, then you would need a power supply rated at a MINIMUM of 600mA.... Usually it's best to go higher.....

In your case, something else was fucked up......

This is correct.

FWIW I prefer batteries in the studio. No power supply generated noise with a battery. ;) You just have to remember to check the battery voltage frequently and unplug them over night.

I had a similar enlightening moment - I have been running a Boss CH1 via a standard 9v adaptor and daisy chain. Pedal was fine with battery but always hummed badly when activated through the adaptor. Recently purchased an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail - instructions were specific about using adaptor supplied or the end of the world would happen. I cross referenced to my standard adaptor to look for differences and noticed i) Electro Harmonix adaptor was 9.6 v and ii) it stated on the label that it was a replacement adaptor for Boss pedals. I plugged old boss chorus pedal into new Electro Harmonix adaptor and - hey presto - no hum. Problem seems to be sorted (and earlier posts below seem to answer why it always worked ok with a 9v battery). Rock and Roll.