EMG 85 9v. vs. 18v shootout (and at a decent height this time)

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey guys, popped an EMG85 in the bridge of my Ibanez again, and this time got it at a decent height (pics and explanation here), so I figured I'd do another test between 9v and 18v when the difference would be much more apparent (since there's more clipping at 9v when the pickup is closer). So take a listen!

a.mp3
b.mp3

Also, I cloned the modern red mode to the Orange channel (meaning, I had the top channel enabled, but both toggles on the back were in the left position), and I think it's a bit less fizzy and a bit more defined than the Red channel in the same mode; lots of options with this baby!

EDIT: However, I now realize the cloned ones are muffled and muddy sounding, so red FTW! Here's the same clips on the channel that's meant to bring the pain :headbang:

a RED.mp3
b RED.mp3

Haha, yup, guess that wasn't too hard! :lol: And I re-amped them through the Red channel which I way prefer, so check the OP for those links as well!

And skeksis, thanks a lot man! We shall see how it grows on me, but I'm diggin' it so far! (though maybe a bit muddy, any thoughts?)

Honestly, even though the 18v (a) does indeed sound more open and dynamic, I feel like the 9v (b) has more mids (or rather, less highs and lows) that make the pitch more defined...

So doubling the voltage gives it more headroom, thus, makes the sound less compressed and defeating the whole purpose of the EMG microphones? :D Haha just kidding, but it's interesting for sure.

Oh, I should NOT be thinking about modding mine, I would just destroy everything.

i say 18V clearly wins, and your right about the red channel being better too

this has convinced me to open up my LTD MH400 and swap the pickups, 85 in the bridge sounds killer. Am i right in thinking you have an 81 in the neck now? how does that sound?

So doubling the voltage gives it more headroom, thus, makes the sound less compressed and defeating the whole purpose of the EMG microphones? :D Haha just kidding, but it's interesting for sure.

Oh, I should NOT be thinking about modding mine, I would just destroy everything.

It's really very easy. I'm pretty crap at soldering and it only took me a few minutes. Just wire two battery clips in series. eg. unsolder the black the goes to the first clip. connect it to the red from the second clip. Then connect the black from the second one to where the black from the first one originally was.

A very worthwhile mod

Yup, at least to try! And skeksis, the 81 in the neck fucking RULES, I always despise the 85 there cuz I find it too woofy, but man does the 81 kick ass in the neck of any axe :headbang: And you can make a detachable clip for quick-swapping between 9- and 18-volts, check out this thread for details! So Erkan, any comments on the tones? ;)

So doubling the voltage gives it more headroom, thus, makes the sound less compressed and defeating the whole purpose of the EMG microphones? :D

And to answer this, most definitely not, because to me one of the biggest purposes of EMG's is the buffered signal, which means lower impedance for less impact from the DI box used as well as longer cable runs without signal loss! :headbang:

Thanks for doing this Marcus. I think you've convinced me to swap the pickups around on my Hellraiser...putting the 81 in the neck and the 85 in bridge (never liked it in the neck either) and try the 18V mod. Sounds really good!

Honestly I don't mind the sound of the 9v version. The tone is more compressed and voiced closer to the region it would be sitting on in the mix anyway. Seems fuller in some way. I see no issue there!

Thanks for the test again, Marcus. You really have a lot of spare time to do these things eh?

One thing I do like about the 18v is the extra transient detail. That's always nice.

Thanks Mark! And greyskull, yeah, honestly I'm not so sure about which I prefer, cuz while the 18v has the openness and extended response, I do prefer the mid-emphasis of the 9v! Also, though, I'm finding both have something of an unpleasant (to my ears) upper-mid emphasis that I think is coming from the guitar (it has that kind of sound even when unplugged, probably owing to the really thick maple top :erk: ). I think I'll try eq'ing the DI files with a slight cut around 2k before re-amping to see if that helps.

And Ermz, yeah dude, since I'm a college student, I'm only responsible for a total of 14 hours of classes per week, so that leaves me with plenty of time indeed! Of course, I have schoolwork that I should be doing, but ahhh, sweet denial :D

So Erkan, any comments on the tones? ;)

I seem to like "a" better, but they're both good. It just feels like it'd sit slightly better in that mix, even if it might not be a full and complete mix.

But really, you don't want my opinion on guitars, I'm not very good when it comes to the level of detail you're at :) I'm just obsessed with the "character" of the distortion, and I tend to disregard alot of frequency-issues, mostly because I've never made a guitar tone that I was happy with, so that I could bother going deeper and deeper into smaller details. And that makes me simply not as aware as you or any of you are, when it comes to small bumps and dips in the frequency range.

I seem to like "a" better, but they're both good. It just feels like it'd sit slightly better in that mix, even if it might not be a full and complete mix.

But really, you don't want my opinion on guitars, I'm not very good when it comes to the level of detail you're at :) I'm just obsessed with the "character" of the distortion, and I tend to disregard alot of frequency-issues, mostly because I've never made a guitar tone that I was happy with, so that I could bother going deeper and deeper into smaller details. And that makes me simply not as aware as you or any of you are, when it comes to small bumps and dips in the frequency range.

Hey, no worries man, all opinions are welcome, and all that matters is whether you like it or not, so don't hesitate if you don't think you can get too specific! :)

And thanks Joe! Anyone else?