Definitive Shootout - Revalver vs 6505

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
(Hope you don't mind us using your DI tracks, Marcus)

So, in the attempt to see whether Revalver III really has what it takes to pull tones convincingly as similar as tube amps, abyssofdreams and I decided to put it to the ultimate test.

We both started with the exact same clean DI track. Our goal: get the modeled tone sounding as close to the analogue one as possible.

I ran mine analogue whilst abyssofdreams did his all within Revalver. We both also used the exact same cabinet impulse.

Analogue chain: RME Multiface > Little Labs Red Eye > Custom TubeScreamer > Peavey 6505 head > Preamp out back to Multiface > Metaltastic cab impulse

Digital chain: Revalver internal TS > 6505 Preamp Module > Metaltastic cab impulse

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/a.mp3

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/b.mp3

Oh... did I forget to mention? This is a BLIND shoot-out, so only the brave amongst ye need apply :Smokin:

Have fun and give us your answer as to which you think is real and which is emulated!

Based on:

1. a.mp3 has what sounds like amp noise; b.mp3 does not

2. a.mp3 has ambience; b.mp3 does not

3. a.mp3 gain is looser; b.mp3 gain is very fine grained and even

4. assuming that you did not add the noise and ambience to a.mp3 to misguide the listener

I pick a.mp3 as the amp.

'a' definitely sounds less honky, more dynamic and has a more pleasant in the high end to me. So I guess that is the real amp. I'm howering listening through crappy laptop speakers at the moment.

I'd agree with Keiffer. I'd say A is the amp.

Could be totally wrong though, that is seriously close.

quite difficult to say with impulses... both sound pretty good and "real".

amp + cab would have been more distinguishable [and more organic I believe.]

very interesting thread btw. a.mp3 is the amp to me too.

haha, this thread is too funny :lol:

first it's all b then Keiffer jumps in and backs his impression up and now it's all a, really funny :lol:

we won't reveal it just yet ;)

To be safe, I didn't read any of the responses.

The first sounds more dynamic to me, while the second sounds a bit more congested with that digital edge.

Hell, I could be wrong...:)

-Joe

Was gonna choose a @ 1st because of said amp noise. Then I said to my self "it's a trick!" :lol: No really, I just can't tell but I have gotten Revalver to make similar shity noise.

Waiting on the results. :Smug:

First thing I thought when I listened to "a", without having listened to "b", was "that's definitely the real amp".
After listening "b" I still believe "a" is the real amp.

I'll say right now that "a" to me sounds much better but as much as I think is the real amp I really hope it's revalver :)

edit: I listened to the samples some more and now I'm not sure. I still prefer "a" because it's kinda tighter but that could be because of the different overdrive pedals in front. Also "b" seems to have more low end during palm mutes and in my experience that's something revalver tends to lack.
Anyway, I guess I was fast to judge which is the real amp, but I do like "A" more. I believe that with some tweaking they can sound even more similar.

i would say that B is revalver and A is the amp.

B sound better to me .... A has a little fiz going on ....... hmmmm i want the real veredict now :d

I'd guess A is the real amp.

But this is really just a shootout between preamps, not real recording to modelling. I'd like to see a shootout between a full Revalver chain and a good mic'd up 5150 recording. This is interesting anyway, thanks for posting! :kickass: