real 6505 vs. revalver 6505 - machinated style

haha well i guess that will do then!

pretty split responses, quite a few of you were right,

RESULTS ARE:

left side = real 6505
right side = revalver

ill just make the point that i didn't use any eq's after revalver or the amp track to make them sound more similar, just did it quickly by ear. i think even just spending more time with it i could get these 2 closer (and using an eq or matching eq would make it closer still).

i will also say that it was much easier to get the revalver tone close to the mic'ed one - starting from scratch may have made it harder to get a tone like that.

pretty convinced with this though!

cheers for your guesses guys.

EDIT: also revalver is REALLY midrange heavy I have found, i have noticed it in a lot of other peoples clips too. the revalver clip in this case had more mids than the mic'd one

OH YEAH WHO DA FUCKIN MAN!!!!!!!!! :heh: I think the biggest giveaway for me was you used a GH impulse that he made with his Traditional cab, and I know those nasty mids when I hear 'em! (though Revalver also seems to be very middy)

I am still impressed with this clip.
Sounds realy realy nice!. For a moment, I thought it was two tracks from a real 6505 XD
Anyway, thanks for this. Makes me want to put my pod on ebay and get Revalver as soon as posible

Greetings!

Haha, Ed, nice to see you putting it to use right away! Great tone btw...honestly there is nothing wrong with it at all...to those saying "well in a dense mix..." wow is all I gotta say. How many albums do you listen to of JUST distorted guitars? That's what I thought...

~006

Song 8! :)
Thanks for this test, I've tried to guess before reading the result and I guessed wrong -.-'

I liked more the left tone (more pleasant to listen, still a bit too gainy and undefined on the palm mutings), but I thought it was Revalver. The right one sounded more raw and defined, so I thought it was the 6505... been fooled by the punchy mids, I failed...

They don't sound THAT similar anyway.
Nice tone, not my cup of tea as I've told you some time ago, but still good. Matter of taste. I would try to lower the guitars volume a lil' bit...

Thanks!

Haha, Ed, nice to see you putting it to use right away! Great tone btw...honestly there is nothing wrong with it at all...to those saying "well in a dense mix..." wow is all I gotta say. How many albums do you listen to of JUST distorted guitars? That's what I thought...

~006

All I'm saying is comparing between one side and the other is hard to do when it's a dense mix, and if both tracks were to be Revalver, I think I might have slightly greater reservations (but then again maybe not!) But for example, Ronnie Rocker's "Hate Ammo" EP is all Revalver on the guitars, and even though it's a badass mix (and fucking awesome music), I can definitely tell :erk:

EDIT : OK, i'm a douche, i made my guess after only reading the first page.. haha

Fuck! I guessed on the Left being Revalver, based on the high mids that I'm used to with Revalver when I've been trying to get a good tone with it. Although, I've never tried my tones in a mix, I always go like "Nah fuck this" and start over.

There is this general harshness that Revalver has on the upper mids, and to my surprise... those were the REAL 6505 in your clip, hahaha. Maybe Revalver's 6505 is pretty accurate to 6505 after all then :) I liked the Right one better so I must say in this particular clip, your Revalver chain works better than the real deal.

I'd love to hear more blind tests like this! :p

I don't find Revalver to have too much upper mids; if anything, it's more the 1k (middle-mids, if you will) that it seems to have an abundance of IMO...