Definitive Shootout - Revalver vs 6505

IMHO A is the real deal. B sounds flat and synthetic.
even on laptop speakers lol.
but whatever, surprise me :lol:

Ok guys, mind you my initial Revalver tone was just a quick test. I wasn't on my proper workstation, was "monitoring" with cheap headphones and overall I might have spend like 5 minutes searching a tone that comes close ;)

On the other hand, I just A/B'd a lot and put more effort into finding a Revalver tone that sounds better and here is the result in a mix with drums:

http://www.keinezeit.de/mp3s/revalver/Revalver_85.mp3

A is RevmkIII, B is 6505. IMO.

Not that I'll win anything if I'm right though.... :p

Sweet deal guys. Thanks for the effort and time! Whence completed revmkIII settings would be nice ;)

Not trying to come off as having an attitude or anything...I was just saying.

~006

Hey Ermin sure you're not fooling us so it's just an ampsim or a real amp on both clips lol
Seriously I can't get my revalver to sound like that...
maybe it's A the real amp... I really don't know anyway
That's for sure seems like B has the revalver kind of nast top end

Ok guys, mind you my initial Revalver tone was just a quick test. I wasn't on my proper workstation, was "monitoring" with cheap headphones and overall I might have spend like 5 minutes searching a tone that comes close ;)

On the other hand, I just A/B'd a lot and put more effort into finding a Revalver tone that sounds better and here is the result in a mix with drums:

http://www.keinezeit.de/mp3s/revalver/Revalver_85.mp3

I dont care which is which, I'd use either in a mix to tell you the truth:headbang:

I have like 2 minutes of experience with the revalver demo, and zero 6505/5150 preamp w/ impulses experience, so I don't really know the subtle differences that would be apparent in each, so I don't feel qualified to make an informed guess.

I'm hoping though, that A is the real amp, because B sounds muddy and a little poopy to me, and considering the fact that I'm getting ready to spend quite a bit of dough on a 5150, I'd hate to think that I prefer the revalver clip.

I'll just throw an uneducated guess out and say A is the real amp, for the mere fact that I hope it is so. Part of me kind of thinks I could be wrong, though, as Revalver is made to sound good with impulses, while the 6505 doesn't even know what an impulse is, so that might give revalver an edge clarity wise.

Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the real amp clip be missing a power amp stage simulation? Unless of course a power amp stage is part of the impulse file, but that would mean (I'm guessing) that Revalver would be modeling the poweramp stage twice, which may or may not have much of an audible impact. If I'm right on either of these notions, though, I would say if there is an audible difference from either the presence of power amp simulation or double power amp simulation, it would be in the form of added "softness" which may be percieved as mud, and the "power ampless" or "single power amp" clip would seem to sound a bit clearer and tighter in my imagination. A! Fuck I don't know.

Oh, and can we give Marcus some props for making such a catchy riff to listen to for this comparison? Thats a seriously sweet riff. I'll have it in my head all day. Unless it's a cover of a riff from a popular song I have not heard, in which case I retract my statement, and redirect it to the original creator of the riff, and leave Marcus with kudos for the good performance of it. :kickass:

Hahaha, thanks a bunch man! That's indeed my riff, it's one of my band's old songs (www.myspace.com/halcyonnight, the song is "Death Comes to the Dead"), I may have sucked at production when we recorded it (Spring 2007), but I still think the songs are some of the best I've written! And I haven't been able to listen to this yet cuz my parents are waiting until tonight to give me my monitors for my birthday/XMAS present (I left my computer speakers at school in anticipation), but I can't wait! Thanks Ermin and Bernhard for doing this! :) :headbang: