Seymour Duncan Blackout Bridge vs. EMG81 - ROUND 2!! (and DTB content :D)

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So some may remember my last shootout between the Blackout bridge and 81, but the difference now is A) I have the pickups at proper height (they were too low last time) and B) I feel my tones have drastically improved since then ;) (though like last time I'll give you all the DI's so you can re-amp them for yourselves!). The guitar was my Ibanez Prestige RGA321 (Mahogany Body, thick maple top, bolt-on maple neck), and I ran it into my Little Labs Redeye as a DI and then into one of the preamp on my Onyx Satellite.

So without further ado, here are the files (I won't bother making the pickups blind, since everyone will know which is which, but it is blind as to which is the 9v and which is 18v ;))

81 a.mp3
81 b.mp3
BO a.mp3
BO b.mp3

(or all 4 in a zip file, which also includes the 4 without drums)

And I know this is the umpteenth time I've said this, but I really do think this is my best tone yet! :D Also, needless to say I once again prefer the 81 (to me the Blackout sounds like it needs to hit the Stairmaster :lol: )

EDIT: And while I realize I didn't play it exactly right, I picked this riff cuz I feel it has a good mix of open stuff, palm mutes, etc., to give a fuller picture of the pickups!

And for those wondering about how to do the 18v mod, I just made an easily-removable harness of sorts (got the idea from this page) so I wouldn't have to do annoying soldering. Observe

DSC00269.jpg

The bottom clip connects to the clip already wired in the guitar, and voila!

And for those wondering about how to do the 18v mod, I just made an easily-removable harness of sorts (got the idea from this page) so I wouldn't have to do annoying soldering. Observe

DSC00269.jpg

The bottom clip connects to the clip already wired in the guitar, and voila!

hahahaha that's so neat compared to mine. It works though, although it did crackle a bit at first, something was touching something is wasn't meant to be. That seems to have gone away now though :p

Great playing man!! I feel Blackout clips are punchier and more powerful. But when put them in the mix, the clips of EMG seem to fit better.

a>>>>b so I guess "a" it's 18V... or I'll have to remove the second battery from my guitar...

Nice comparison. I think the 81 sounds more clear and balanced with better mids.
The BO seems too scooped on the mids, not as aggressive as the 81, but I'm digging the lows (although they make the amp sound muddy with these settings). Overall the BO seems to have a more "passive" feel, which I don't think is a bad thing, in the end, it would probably need different settings on the amp to suit it better...

I would like to have a look at those DIs and yes, this is the best tone I've heard from you till now...
Good work and thanks

I think i like the BO better. BO a has an awesome feel to it, although it would need different amp settings to reach it's full potential.

BO b is way too muddy though.

Of the 81s i'd say that i prefer b, it has a chunkier feel to the palm mutes that a doesn't have

Thanks a lot guys! First post updated with a link to the DI's! :)

And btw, the bass knob was at 10:30 for this test (and mid at 10:00), so I don't think one would want it much lower, even if using the Blackouts! ;)

The 81 sounds much better to my ears, seems like there'd be more bass on tap to be used for thickness before things started getting rumbly, where as the blackouts are already at that point where'd I'd be getting annoyed with the rumble, and you know I likes my thick tonez.

However, I'm not gonna comment on the question of which clips are the 9v and 18v ones, as I basically have no idea how that affects the sound, despite all your shoot-outs haha.

And this IS your best tone yet. Your shit improves every time you post something new dude.

Thanks for the shootout Marcus! 81A for me! I have to come up with a different rig for the 18volt mod on my Hellraiser though. It doesn't have the typical 9volt connector. The battery just slides into the battery compartment. I'll have to make a "dummy battery" with leads coming out for the two real 9v batteries.

Lazzari, yessir, indeed I do! :) It seemed a good song for a pickup shootout, cuz it has a nice mixture of open chords, palm mutes, etc.

Joe and Gareth, thanks a ton guys! It's thanks to the awesome feedback I've gotten that I'm always improving, as well as judicious use of a Low-Pass Filter :D Mark, you might not necessarily need to that if you could tap into the leads going to the battery case from the control cavity...however, since I don't have room for two 9v's in my cavity, what I'm gonna do is just run my 81 at 9v normally (with the cavity cover on), and when doing serious recording, take it off and have the two 9v's just dangling on my lap outside the cavity (which is what I did for this test! :D)

I just put blackouts in my LTD 251FM, which is not the thickest sounding of my guitars and it brought the chunk out. So I believe EMGs will be better in a Mahogany/Maple guitar such as your prestege or an LTD EC-1000 than a Blackout, but id you have an entry level basswood or agathas guitar that is a little weak in the bass the Blackouts will get you further.

The EMG 18v mod is also very cool. My Schecter Devil Custom has a big enough cavity to fit the extra battery but my rhythm Guitarist's Iommi SG didn't have enough space so he just built a battery pack out of a zippo case and attached it to his strap via velcro. Then drilled a hole in the cavity plate and threaded the battery clip through it for easy hookup.

Next thing to try is put the Neck Blackout in the Bridge to see if it gets an 85 type deal in that location.

Just been in academic hell unfortunately, the end of the semester is really killing me! And yes, I still find time to do these tests, but it's a different kinda mindset, I dunno...I'll be back soon though! :)

Just been in academic hell unfortunately, the end of the semester is really killing me! And yes, I still find time to do these tests, but it's a different kinda mindset, I dunno...I'll be back soon though! :)

Haha cool man, get on in a little bit, I want your thoughts on some stuff!

Still down with those stuffy sinuses and only listening on cans but I think I prefer 81B above all of them. Is this the 9v version? The transients seem more defined in A, which implies greater headroom to me. I like the extra compression of B. Never thought I'd say this but I dig the extra low-mids it seems to bump up, makes the tone seem fuller and less dynamic at the same time (which is great if you're thinking mix-wise). Gah, wish my hearing weren't screwy.

BTW Your tones have indeed improved dude, nice job on taking all the criticism and pushing forward :)

Also, the Blackouts really suck to my ears. I'm so glad you've done these shoot-outs because I'd never entertain the thought of getting them.