Saffire Pro, 8pre, Digimax, Mackie Onyx, etc

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
So I want to get a new interface, and my original plan was to get something that is ProTools compatible. However, I think for the moment, I'm just goign to get a nice interface, and then maybe in the summer buy a Profire 2626 with ProTools M-powered. That way, for the itme being, I can run things nice and smooth with Sonar, and then when I want to use ProTools, I can use the preamps int he interface I get now hooking them up ADAT to the Profire 2626.

So I need some help deciding.

It looks like I can get a Focusrite Saffire Pro io 26 for $450.

In 006's thread - http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...amped-8pre-vs-saffire-pro-comp-test-clip.html
he compares the preamps to the 8pre. I find the the saffire pro preamps to sound a bit bassier or maybe a little fuller based on that clip, and at $450, it's cheaper than the MOTU 8pre anyway.
Then there's also Digimax preamps and the Mackie 1200f. The Mackie seems to be a bit out of my price range though. Has anyone compared the digimax preamps to the saffire pro or the onyx preamps?

Are there some other preamps or interface that I should maybe consider?

I've heard good things about the focusrite Octopre, sounding better than the RME quadpres, (based on LSD-Studio's thread comparing API vs. RME pre) and I believe the Octopres are "green series based" and the pres int he saffire pro are green series.

Thanks for your input!

i have a saffire pro 26 and i really love it. It's very reliable and well built and i can use very low buffer sizes on my macbook in logic. The amount of gain on the pre-amps is the only downturn to it. They sound amazing (they are indeed the green series), but they clip really easy (especially on snaredrum). Having 2 amplified headphone outs is nice too.

So then they have a lot of gain? Nothing an in-line pad can't fix
I'm used to a really low gain preamp interface (50 dB)

Also, isn't the green series technically mid-range?

Yeah I like the pres on the Saffire a lot more. The Onyx pres are amazing though...if you can swing a 1200F, do it. Thats what I plan on getting to replace the Saffire+8Pre setup, maybe keep the Saffire as an 8 channel expansion via ADAT into the 1200F. Otherwise it'll be 1200F and another 8-channel preamp with ADAT...or a nice ass unit like the True Systems Precision 8 and then get an analog->ADAT unit. Dunno yet.

BTW I'm a little flattered that my thread was useful for you! Glad it helped though :kickass:

~006

Haha, yeah. You linked to that thread from a more recent one (probably regarding impulses or something). Your thread put the saffire pro back on my radar. It was originally one of the interfaces I wanted to get, but it was just too expensive so I wound up getting the Alesis io26, and then I completely forgot about the Saffire Pro. But now I've found it for $450 new, and that seems like it would be a big step up from my Alesis interface.

The 1200f looks great, but it's almost 4 times as expensive as the Saffire Pro :lol:

True, but I feel that the 1200F is an awesome bang for the buck unit. The preamps are solid and great. The connectivity options are ideal for me as well. Just all around great interface. I've been aiming for a PRS early next year but I think I may cut my savings short and just snag a 1200F instead...tough decision for me at this point.

~006

Have any of you tried to CEntrance ASIO latency tool on the Saffire Pro? I'm curious about the latency.

Are the drivers stable?

i have a mackie onyx 1620 with the firewire extension, i cannot compare to the Saffire Pro, 8pre, Digimax, but i´m very satisfied with the quality of the onyx and also the preamps. it was worth evey cent i´ve paid imho.
i assume the technolgy, preamps are similar as the 1200F, so i would give that a shot.

cheers
exoslime

I'm not directly familiar with the sound quality of the other units you mentioned, but I have the Mackie 1200F myself and I can tell you I love the thing.

I went from a MOTU2408II to the 1200F and the audio quality of the Mackie has been a giant improvement and it's flexibility has been excellent.

Have any of you tried to CEntrance ASIO latency tool on the Saffire Pro? I'm curious about the latency.

Are the drivers stable?

i had some problems on my pc when using it. The saffire is very picky about you firewire card. I had a VIA one and i got insane latency in XP SP2. I actually had to download a fix from microsoft to cut out the spikes.

But everything is really awesome since i moved to a mac.

The Saffire website says the preamps are 60 dB. I think that's pretty standard. My Alesis preamps were 50 dB and I got by.
Why do you say they clip really easily if you also say they are low gain?

I'll be using it on a PC, but I've got a TI card, maybe that will help.

Random question: are the line-ins on the 1200f routed through the preamp, or are they completely separate?

Apparently the Saffire pres start at like +10 dB of gain (and don't have pads), hence their clip-prone tendencies

You WILL want to get some in-line pads for the Saffire if you ever plan on recording a snare drum. ;)

~006

Hold up, im not 100% about this but it might be true that the Saffire range and the Platinum range have different pre's. Ive got a feeling the Platinum stuff might be slightly better quality but im not sure, I just hear a fair bit of "platinum pres" not much on the "saffire pres" for band recording specs.

I own a saffy myself, but wouldnt mind getting this clear. Anybody?