Sag switch/sag emulation?

Don't bother with it. IMO of course. I have a bias for stiff power sections though, so your taste may vary.

Oh and you can do that mod with $10 worth of parts BTW.

Sag is what happens when the demand for more power from the amp causes the supply votage to drop in response. This reduces headroom, so the attack of the note is more heavily distorted. The sustain is less heavily overdriven because it is lower level, thus demands less current, so the supply voltage goes up again.

The result is sometimes called "sweet sustain". It's kind of more dynamic tone response with less dynamic level output. Compression with mojo.

Power supplies using tube rectifiers did this automatically, because the tube diodes weren't fast enough to respond to sharply increased current demand. Silicon rectifiers are pretty much instantaneous in their response, so if sag is desired it has to introduced some other way.

Maybe the ReValver plugin would give you an idea of the effect, I think it lets you change rectifier types at will. Just an idea.

It pretty much has the same effect as switching a Recto from Bold to Spongy.

No dude, the "Bold/Spongy" switch just gives a set reduction in the supply voltage.

This is more like switching a Recto from "Silicon Diodes" to "Tube Rectifier".

Don't bother with it. IMO of course. I have a bias for stiff power sections though, so your taste may vary.

Oh and you can do that mod with $10 worth of parts BTW.

So its reqlly just a personal preference thing? What advantage does a stiff power section give you as aposed to something else? Good to know about the parts, but I know jack about anything of electronics and how to mod them haha

Sag is what happens when the demand for more power from the amp causes the supply votage to drop in response. This reduces headroom, so the attack of the note is more heavily distorted. The sustain is less heavily overdriven because it is lower level, thus demands less current, so the supply voltage goes up again.

The result is sometimes called "sweet sustain". It's kind of more dynamic tone response with less dynamic level output. Compression with mojo.

Power supplies using tube rectifiers did this automatically, because the tube diodes weren't fast enough to respond to sharply increased current demand. Silicon rectifiers are pretty much instantaneous in their response, so if sag is desired it has to introduced some other way.

Maybe the ReValver plugin would give you an idea of the effect, I think it lets you change rectifier types at will. Just an idea.

No dude, the "Bold/Spongy" switch just gives a set reduction in the supply voltage.

Thanks for the explanation and tip! I think I will download the trial of revalver to get a better grip on the effect

If you play metal, you won't like a sagging power section(most of the time). Most metal players want nice tight response, rectifiers and saggy power sections won't give you that. For blues and rock and some other things, a saggy power section sounds awesome

Sorry...I owned a Voodoo Amp modded 5150 for a while, and the switch definitely reminded me of the spongy/bold switch on the Recto.

Sorry...I owned a Voodoo Amp modded 5150 for a while, and the switch definitely reminded me of the spongy/bold switch on the Recto.

Oh, fair enough. I should say then that the sag mod is supposed to resemble the tube/silicon switch on the Recto, but doesn't really. :D

Thanks for clearing that up.