Saint Vitus

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Is it just me, or is this band superb in every way? Ever since I started really hearing doom, none of the bands have really struck me the way Vitus has. The other contender would be Penance, where each of these bands' releases hits me in an entirely different way. Don't get me wrong, I love Rev Biz, Solitude Aeturnus, and all the Hellhound bands.

But for me, Saint Vitus is where it's at. The slow dirge of the self-titled is perfection. The more rockin' Born Too Late with Wino is solid, and C.O.D. is one of my favorites. Not to mention, the lyrics are a great read.

The only one I lack is Hallow's Victim. Is this thing even on CD?

Out of those early bands, Vitus is easily the best, in my opinion. Pentagram is not far behind, but Trouble and Candlemass don't match up, though Candlemass is a different beast altogether.

Saint Vitus is utterly fucking amazing. I love every single song I've heard!

Good luck getting Hallow's Victim on CD, unless you want a bootleg.

One of my favourite Saint Vitus parts is on V, when it goes from When Emotion Dies to Patra (Petra). The emotion and pure melancholic doom just slays me every time!

Oddly, I listened to Born Too Late yesterday and Saint Vitus today. For some reason, whenever I listen to the self-titled, I never really fully get into it until The Psychopath comes on, and then that and Burial at Sea completely floor me, and then I have to listen to it over again to get the full impact. It sounds like they used an electric kit on that album though...

As per the inevitable Reagers vs Wino discussion that will inevitably ensue, for me personally, Saint Vitus has and will always be about Dave fucking Chandler. His soulful playing and that ridiculously dense and murky guitar tone is what makes Saint Vitus for me. Reagers to me was always a good singer who had certain scattered moments of brilliance. Wino is just...well, Wino. I don't like to get into the discussion of which is better. I personally like everything the band has done, and I think Wino does an excellent job on the early material, so there's no problem for me. Hallow's Victim and Born Too Late are my favorites, though.

I would wait on that...there was an interview with Chandler late last year in which he mentioned that he regained the rights to those early albums.

ill wait then.

i still think COD is one of their better ones. Lindersson isnt near as Ozzy-like as he is on CR's first album, and he fits the music very well.

speaking of wino, i still havent checked out the obsessed.

"born too late" is super cool with only great songs, "v" is worse, the live album is a bit rubbish, and those are the only albums i have (hope this helps.)

The only full albums I've heard are s/t and Hallow's Victim, they're both top quality albums, with the s/t probably being top 3 all time doom for me.

ESPECIALLY The Psychopath and Burial at Sea. Those two songs are just unbeatable.

The ones I listen to these days:

40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room (I actually prefer this to Warning's "Watching From a Distance")
Apocalypse Orchestra - The End is Nigh (I think this one is brilliant)
Blood Farmers - s/t and Permanent Brain Damage
Ereb Altor - By Honour
Gods Tower - The Eerie and The Turns (vocals are an acquired taste)
Mirror of Deception - Mirrorsoil and Foregone
Ogre - Dawn of the proto Man, Seven Hells, and Plague of the Planet (more doom rock, but great stuff)
Pagan Altar - Lords of Hypocrisy and Mythical & Magical (get this before anything else)
Reverend Bizarre - Harbinger of Metal and Crush the Insects
Solstice - White Horse Hill and New Dark Age
Unsilence - Under a Torn Sky

Anytime I listen to Born Too Late I say "this shit is my life" because about 30 years ago I saw a photo of St. Vitus in a magazine and immediately knew that someday if I rocked real hard I'd grow up to be a graying burnout headbanger.

Anytime I listen to Born Too Late I say "this shit is my life" because about 30 years ago I saw a photo of St. Vitus in a magazine and immediately knew that someday if I rocked real hard I'd grow up to be a graying burnout headbanger.

Livin' the dream.

Scott Reagers-led Saint Vitus or NO Saint Vitus for me. Thx.

I also prefer Reagers, but "Born Too Late" is the bee's knees. Wino is probably better in The Obsessed.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
I never got into Wino's vocals, not for lack of trying. I do agree he was best in The Obsessed.

Reagers and COD is where Vitus shines

Reactions: SonOfNun