Saint Vitus

OK, I'm currently on the Born Too Late is the best Vitus album bandwagon. I dig Reagers, but I don't think this album would've worked as well with him on vocals. I listened to him do the title track (which I guess he co-wrote?) on Let the End Begin (Live album - 1995 show) and it doesn't sound right. I'm not sure why. Perhaps because there was a significant lyrical shift (and a bit of a musical one as well) to a grittier, more personal sound. I think, perhaps, that Reagers's voice is a little more theatric while Wino really does sound like the gruff druggie narrating songs like "Dying Inside."

With Vitus I end up playing certain songs individually on repeat a lot rather than full albums. Not sure why.

Top 3:
1. Burial at Sea
2. Born Too Late
3. Zombie Hunger (even though The Psychopath is a better song)

Reagers was so much better. My fave was always Die Healing

I've come to think that there is enough difference that they're hard to compare. I listen to Wino more but Reagers does impart a kind of magic on his stuff. I couldn't really get into Die Healing for a long time. I think it's because it's one of their two slowest albums (similar issue with Mournful Cries). I gave it some more concentrated listens recently and it started to sink in. The only song I don't care for now is "In the Asylum." Everything else on there is ace. It may move up another spot in time.

Patra (Petra) is one of my top 10 fav songs of all time. That along with Jack Frost easily make V my fav Vitus album. I dig when doom is that extra bit slower (Open Tomb is a great example of a more recent band who achieved that).

This cover of the song is incredible: