sales report

J. said:
why is this surprising? all those bands suck
gasp! wha? nevermore are awesome. you dont like jeff loomis? i used to think they sucked too but i forced myself to listen to them. it took a few tries.

a band that genuinely sucks: ulver. Man, i listened to "themes from blah blah blah" today. terrible. what's so special about them? anyone? anyone?

dorian gray said:
a band that genuinely sucks: ulver. Man, i listened to "themes from blah blah blah" today. terrible. what's so special about them? anyone? anyone?
Everything. :) William Blake isn't the best place to start with them though, probably their most inaccessible album.

If you want to see what the big deal is, get Bergtatt for their metal days and Perdition City for their electronica days. How you feel about those two releases can safely steer you toward or away from that marvelously brilliant and brilliantly marvelous group.

dorian gray said:
a band that genuinely sucks: ulver. what's so special about them?

Other than the fact that they defy categorization, have put out landmark albums in the realm of folk, black metal, industrial, electronica, and film scores, something which very few bands have accomplished, let alone even strived for, and having been around for over a decade putting out quality piece after piece annually... nothing, nothing at all.

Furious B said:
Other than the fact that they defy categorization, have put out landmark albums in the realm of folk, black metal, industrial, electronica, and film scores

maybe landmark albums if compared to ones put out by every other previously BM band (which is how many?) , but compared to everything else ? hardly........

I'll give them landmark BM, though.

Demonspell said:
The new Nevermore also lacks a marketable track for whatever audience still gets excited over AE, I'm pretty sure they chose Final Product at random as the album is anything but commercial.
I think a band like Nevermore is in a tough spot. Their style just isn't commercial. If they wrote a song, just to be marketable, they'd be criticized for it. That being said, I think "Final Product" is a good choice. I think it's got a good hook, and the song moves at a good pace. Plus, for the guitar players out there, the solo is just sick:

:worship:Loomis:worship:

Zod

General Zod said:
Defying categorization doesn't equate to quality.

You're right, but it does in conjunction with the other things I've pointed out and thus why there is such a fuss about them and why they're so "special."

Chromatose said:
maybe landmark albums if compared to ones put out by every other previously BM band (which is how many?) , but compared to everything else ? hardly........

Fair enough. I guess landmark is stretching it. But will you not concede that in spite of that, they are still good albums?

In any event, just the fact they were revolutionaries within the black metal scene is enough to label them as such.

Furious B said:
Fair enough. I guess landmark is stretching it. But will you not concede that in spite of that, they are still good albums?

yes :cool:

Furious B said:
In any event, just the fact they were revolutionaries within the black metal scene is enough to label them as such.

also, I guess I can agree there: revolutionaries within their scene , however not particularly for the styles they can be categorized as.

I agree, while Perdition City and everything since Themes certainly is a radical departure from the scene they originated, it isn't revolutionary when taken on its own...I'm sure some fans of electronic music who got wind of it thought it was just a random series of bleeps. That said, I think Blood Inside may become their first truly ahead of its time album since Kveldssanger (correct me if I'm wrong on that one, neofolk existed before then after all)...

zod: Medicated Nation would have been my choice, the chorus is certainly the closest thing to Dead Heart's unstoppable hooks.

Hails...allow me to put my 2 cents in. Well in my neck of the woods (H-town) if you go to any Target store, you will see AE on sale, but no Nevermore. Basically if you get on Ozzfest then Target will carry it. But in my opinion Nevermore is superior to AE.

J. said:
why is this surprising? all those bands suck

Quoted for 100% truth.

Personally I can't imagine being a huge Nevermore fan and seeing nothing in Ulver, it defies everything human in me.

lurch70 said:
never ceases to amaze me how little established metal bands sell.
case in point is next weeks Billboard chart:

(snip)
DOPE - "American Apathy": 9,000
(snip)

:OMG: What kind of asshole would buy this????? I remember getting a demo cassette from Edsel himself back in 98. I used a cigeratte lighter to burn it so nobody would endure the torture again.