sample library storage, once and for all

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
im a mac user

i need suggestions on how to store all of my massive sample libraries in one place

should i go multiple external drives? one big external drive?
several internal drives? one big internal drive?

i use a lot of libraries that use disk streaming
kontakt is my sampler of choice

Id suggest the biggest external hard drive you can get. I use a Western Digital 750 GB external usb 2.0 hard drive. I just saw this on best buy and if it works well it will be an extremely awesome deal.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western...5.p?id=1218070095789&skuId=9258885&st=western

If its just for samples (im assuming wav files) It should pretty much never run out. I'd also suggest firewire connection if possible (although usb 2.0 should be fine, Ive never had problems with mine via this connection.)

I keep all my samples and impulses (and any other random sound fx etc.) in a folder on an internal hard drive, which is separate from my OS drive. If your mixing on different machines however, I'd put them on an external. Better yet, why not both? All my sound goodies could fit on a DVD-R, so whats 4gigs out of 2 drives if it means added convenience

Not that I'm a big know it all computer nerd but what about a big external esata? Guess it depends if you have esata on your mac. I know nothing of macs...

zip disks :danceboy:

Pfftttt. Tape drives are the future man. Screw zip disk.

300px-Dds_tape_drive_01.jpg

im a mac user

i need suggestions on how to store all of my massive sample libraries in one place

should i go multiple external drives? one big external drive?
several internal drives? one big internal drive?

i use a lot of libraries that use disk streaming
kontakt is my sampler of choice

I'm not too familiar with mac's and how their peripherals work, but if it's similar to PC, I'd suggest using a 1 to 1.5 TB @ 7200RPM (~$75-90) Internal as your primary storage, and a 1 to 1.5 TB external for backup purposes only, in case internal were to fail (yes it does happen...:/)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145287

Once you have both drives, and you're looking to sync the files, Dirsync is a Mac-friendly alternative to some popular file sync programs. http://directorysync.sourceforge.net/index.html

DirSync Pro (Directory Synchronize Pro) is a small, but powerful utility for file and folder synchronization. DirSync Pro can be used to synchronize the content of one or many folders recursively.

Using DirSync Pro you can make incremental backups. In this way you'll spare lots of time because you don't have to copy all the files each time you want to update your backup; only new/modified/larger files would be copied.

Use DirSync Pro to easily synchronize files from your desktop PC to your USB-stick (PDA, Notebook, ...). Use this USB-stick (PDA, Notebook, ...) to synchronize files to another desktop PC.

Unlike many other synchronization software, DirSync Pro is Open Source; it is 100% free of charge, 100% free of commercial text, 100% free of advertisements and 100% free of spyware. You can use it as long as you like, without any limitations in time or funcationality. You can freely distribute it according to GPL3.

DirSync Pro is programmed completely in platform independent Java™ so it can be run under nearly every modern operating system including Windows™, Linux™ and Macintosh™.

I would say consider installing an Internal HD.
I base this off my experience with an External HD.
Although the External is gonna be ok - it just seems to me there is more speed with the Internal (even though both are 7200 RPM).
What I did recently was get a 1 Terabyte Internal drive for my Mac - and that is where I have placed my sound libraries.
Things are going well so far.
FWIW.
Take care,

Scott

so i've decided on a really large internal drive. i will sync an external if i find my self needing to reach out to other locations. thus far i pretty much sit at home, all year.

thanks for all the help and tips guys!