Sampling/Keyboards Live

Syle

Aug 29, 2007
Hey all, I am a pretty big amateur when it comes to the ins-and-outs of sampling/keyboard effects in a live situation. I am in a heavy melodic rock band (think Tool mixed with Metallica mixed with Deftones, for modern tastes), and what I want to do is add sampling/sound effects/keyboards to the live setting, BUT, I am not sure the easiest/correct way to go about it. I have just a few basic questions:

1) Can I record/edit/create things on a computer in my DAW and then play those sounds through a keyboard or pad in real-time in a live show?

2) If so, is there some sort of unit that would work great for this? (I am imagining something that has both pads and a keyboard that can be customized to a great degree...? Like I said, i don't know much about it, hence why I am asking these dumb questions).

3) I already own a korg triton rack (though it has some older/probably outdated memory cards in it), is that very user friendly for what I am wanting to do? After messing around with it for a while, it's tough to zip back and forth between settings and presets; I am looking for something that either has pedal control or big buttons to click back and forth between presets.

Anyways, I know these questions are really dumb, but I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. Again, I need to know if I can transfer created sounds from my computer to a unit of some sort, and then play those sounds in real time using a pad or keyboard.

Thanks so much

1) Can I record/edit/create things on a computer in my DAW and then play those sounds through a keyboard or pad in real-time in a live show?

That's what electronic bands have been doing for the past 20 - 25 years ;) A sampler is what you'll need.

But if you just need a background backing thingy, and not a instrument one of you will play, then it would be wiser to just playback a backing track through a minidisk/mp3 player, or through a DAW running on a laptop.

That's what electronic bands have been doing for the past 20 - 25 years ;) A sampler is what you'll need.

But if you just need a background backing thingy, and not a instrument one of you will play, then it would be wiser to just playback a backing track through a minidisk/mp3 player, or through a DAW running on a laptop.

no, i definently want to institute a keyboard into it so I can play my samples in different notes/keys/etc.

do you have any direction to point me in for samplers? i am completely lost in this stuff...and thanks for the reply, i have been posting all over 10 different forums for a week now, and you are my first response :lol:

hit me back

no, i definently want to institute a keyboard into it so I can play my samples in different notes/keys/etc.

do you have any direction to point me in for samplers?

The problem with hardware samplers, is the RAM memory. I'd say use a Midi keyboard (choose the price/number of keys that's good for you), a laptop (that you carry in your "hand luggage"), and a firewire/pci soundcard with analogue outputs (I use the RME Multiface w. 8 balanced tele out)) and a maximum of 6ms latency. With that, you can have samples as big as your harddrive, and be able to do demos on the road. Or watch a movie, play games? I'm writing this on my live-laptop (LG 17" dual core 2ghz/2gb ram), but pretty much anyone will work nowadays.