Satyricon-The Age of Nero

here's one: this band has always sucked. easily the worst of the early norwegian bands

well ok, the first three are at least average.

and satyr is a pompous prick who cannot see that his time is over.

This is an album for those who enjoy listening to Now, Diabolical.

If you don't like it, don't waste your time trying The Age of Nero.

I like both albums, and don't get tired of listening to them. Most people who don't like them seem to dislike their roots and the way their sound changed with time. Is it Black Metal? Fuck no. Is it good? Yes, I have a blast every single time I listen to it :kickass:

I don't really care if it's BM or not, it just sounds great.

I dig the production. Probably the worst Satyricon, but certainly it can be enjoyed.

Satyricon has a tendancies of making grower albums I've noticed.
It started with Rebel Extravaganza. When I first heard it I couldn't stand it. Nowadays I think it is a masterpeice. It could turn out that Nero, may grow on me just like the others pretty much did. Nero actually did have that affect as I liked it a lot more the more I listened to it.
:zombie: :saint:

here's one: this band has always sucked. easily the worst of the early norwegian bands

My sentiments exactly.

Also, why do people keep mentioning the fact that it's not black metal, as if it has something to do with the reason people dislike it? I'm sure if they returned to their 'roots' they'd still suck just as much.

My sentiments exactly.

Also, why do people keep mentioning the fact that it's not black metal, as if it has something to do with the reason people dislike it?
It does because some hate the black n roll era and like their BM era...
I'm sure if they returned to their 'roots' they'd still suck just as much.
I'm no... their first 3 albums were/are classics... they were a very good BM band but anything after the first 3 sucks big time...

It does because some hate the black n roll era and like their BM era... I'm no... their first 3 albums were/are classics... they were a very good BM band but anything after the first 3 sucks big time...

No. Dark Medieval times was decent, but the songwriting wasn't up to par (too choppy). Nemesis Divina was the best they ever got and even that one is not entirely consistent.

yeah, they were never up to par with the rest. they just happen to be at the right place, right time and know the right people. but that cant hide the fact the band simply was never very good.

Satyricon is easily in the top 3 of the Norwegian 2nd Wave, the Shadowthrone is their best album and Dark Medieval Times and Nemesis Divina are great albums but a step below The Shadowthrone. Now, Diabolical is very good also.

Nemesis Divina is easily my favorite album of any keyboard saturated Black Metal band. Rebel Extravaganza is fucking awesome, and Volcano has some great tracks. Other than that, I'm not a fan.

Dark Medieval Times is worthy of more respect than that I think.

Satyricon is easily in the top 3 of the Norwegian 2nd Wave.

I certainly wouldn't put them above Mayhem, Emperor, Darkthrone or Burzum.