3. Mayhem
4. Darkthrone
5. Enslaved
6. Gehenna
7. Immortal
8. Ulver
9. Gorgoroth
10. Satyricon

I still have not gotten around to hearing the new one.

My top Norwegian BM bands

1. Satyricon

I don't like any other ones and must suck(not dicks like chicks) that is Omni's job

I'd like to see your personal ranking of Norwegian black metal bands.
1. Emperor
2. Satyricon
3.Ulver
4. Mayhem
5. Darkthrone
6. Enslaved
7. Gorgoroth
8. Immortal
I'll reserve judgement for Dimmu Borgir's first 2 albums once I get them.

I wouldn't necessarily put Ildjarn on top, but the complete absence of the name from your list is one of many things about it that I disagree with. Then again, I sort of doubt that you've ever heard any of his albums to begin with.

It's not too shocking that Derek's list is really bizarre.

I really only ever found Ildjarn to be amusing, both musically and with his bitter attitude towards everything. I always thought his music was rather overrated for what it was. Though it's probably been a good five years or so since I've listened to any Ildjarn.

I'd say Emperor, Burzum, and Darkthrone are a good choice for top 3 given a balance between quality and significance.

Burzum
Darkthrone
Ildjarn
Mayhem
Immortal
Enslaved
Ulver
Strid
Gorgoroth
Emperor

I wouldn't necessarily put Ildjarn on top, but the complete absence of the name from your list is one of many things about it that I disagree with. Then again, I sort of doubt that you've ever heard any of his albums to begin with.

I've honestly never given Ildjarn a fair shot. I have Forest Poetry as mp3's from Mathias, but haven't worked up the gumption to sit through it. Like you said, it's appropriate only for certain moods, and I'm not sure what mood to be in.

Vossyrus said:
I'd say Emperor, Burzum, and Darkthrone are a good choice for top 3 given a balance between quality and significance.

Add Mayhem and they work in any order, according to personal tastes. But any others (potentially Ildjarn...) I wouldn't put before them.

I recommend starting with Ildjarn's earlier material, particularly the Ildjarn-Nidhogg recordings and the Det Frysende Nordariket compilation. It's easily his best work IMO and not as difficult to digest. I also definitely agree that Ildjarn belongs in the top three of early Norwegian black metal.

I'm listening to Forest Poetry now, and it feels rather claustrophobic. Hopefully I'll acclimatize, or just need a day when I get really pissed off.

It's not too shocking that Derek's list is really bizarre.
I accidentally left out Burzum because I edited the post and was in a hurry for class and wasn't thinking, they should be behind Mayhem in front of Darkthrone.

As for Ildjarn, I like what I heard from them, the stuff I heard off Forest Poetry and various compilations is good stuff. Where does Dimmu Borgir rank in everyone's top Norwegian 2nd Wave stuff? I'm more particular to their Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia material but like what I heard off For All Tid and Stormblast.

1.Darkthrone
2.Burzum
3.Emperor
4.Mayhem
5.Dimmu Borgir

I don't have much BM as you can see.

Any of the bottom four can change.

Actually, I would put Emperor as 2nd.