Satyricon

I can only comment on DME and The Shadowthrone, as I haven't got Nemesis Divina. Personally, I prefer Dark Medieval Times, don't know why, actually. I think that DME has a more medieval feel to it, but I've always considered it a black metal album. I agree with you when it comes to the drumming on The Shadowthrone, they aren't so aggressive and intense as the ones on the DME album. I also agree with your view on Vikingland, I never thought that that song was "black" metal. But still, I think it's one of the best tracks on the album.

Of course Nemesis Divina is black.
I think all of the Satyricon albums are black, but in different forms. As I listen to the latest, Volcano, it's easy to hear that they didn't take anything from the standard, low quality in production black metal that we all heard in Shadowthrone, but still i refuse to call them anything else but black metal.
Anyway...Every single one of Satyricon's albums is brilliant, even though they are not the same as they used to be.

I must say that I still have a hard time coping with the fact that Satyricon has become popular outside the Metal sircle...
Why the hell did they suddenly become so popular?
Ok Dimmu went away from their early stuff and started to make synth pop, so I see why they became popular, but Satyricon still havent done this.
And all these poser shows on TV starts sending the Fuel For Hatred video :s

And everytime someone asks me what kind of music I like and I say Black Metal, their first reply is "...ahh Satyricon..."

I have myself Shadowthrone and Nemesis Divina and like them a lot. My friend borrowed me the new album too and for me it sounded good from first listening. Actually next time when i play stereos have to put new Satyricon:)

Originally posted by Aggressor
I must say that I still have a hard time coping with the fact that Satyricon has become popular outside the Metal sircle...
Why the hell did they suddenly become so popular?
Ok Dimmu went away from their early stuff and started to make synth pop, so I see why they became popular, but Satyricon still havent done this.
And all these poser shows on TV starts sending the Fuel For Hatred video :s

And everytime someone asks me what kind of music I like and I say Black Metal, their first reply is "...ahh Satyricon..."

Satyricon are on a larger label now, with a lot of popular
bands, so they use a lot of money on a Satyricon video,
hyping it and all that. They also have lots of connections
so that Satyricon get to go to these popular tv-shows.
No way a 14 year old into Britney Spears sits down to
listen to the Satyicon album, but you have to face it:
"Fuel for Hatred" is a damn catchy song...! :eek:)

All I'm saying is that Satyricon finally has the backup from
a company with a lot of money. And people are getting
curious as to what this black metal is.... :eek:)

As for the real topic of this thread: I have no clue! hehe...
I have yet to really get into Satyricon.

Haven't really heard that new album yet, I'm fan of especially "Nemesis Divina" and "The Shadowthrone", the production (read: guitarsound) of DMT is too "harsh" for me, though the album has its moments.

I was also listening to "Rebel Extravaganza" again the other day, not bad, quite good really.

Personally I like it very much, and it's my favourite Satyricon album together with Nemesis Dividia.. Rebel Extravaganza is very orginal and diffrent from the past albums, but I don't see it as a "mainstreem" album, as many people do....
So what's your thoughts on the album ?

It took a long, long time, but I was just finally able to find 'Volcano' at a metal shop here in the USA. And I paid full import price for it ($25), but you know what? The album's fucking brilliant. I could care less if it's not necro or tr00 or cv1t or whatever. It's fucking brilliant metal, and is my #2 of the year 2002. If you haven't yet, get it.

"Viking ligr veldi" and "The Shadowthrone" were my 2 fav black metal releases.

But then came "Volcano"! Orgininal, simple, melodic, raw, good production, great vocals, even "groovy" for black metal terms, aggressive, athmospheric, suitable electronica,...

A true masterpiece! I saw the guys in '96 with Dissection > super. And in February I'll be in the frontline again! Hell yeah!

Originally posted by markgugs
It took a long, long time, but I was just finally able to find 'Volcano' at a metal shop here in the USA. And I paid full import price for it ($25), but you know what? The album's fucking brilliant. I could care less if it's not necro or tr00 or cv1t or whatever. It's fucking brilliant metal, and is my #2 of the year 2002. If you haven't yet, get it.

Here in Europe it's expensive too. I thought I payed somewhat around €20. Thanx to their major label.