Savage Circus DVD observation (stagehand nerd content)

WarriorOfMetal

Shroud of Bereavement
Nov 22, 2005
Boston, MA // Northern VA
the truss supporting the mover on the SL side is put together incorrectly. not a big deal since it's not supporting a ton of weight or over anyone's head or anything, but i noticed it when i was watching the DVD the other night. :lol:

congratscares.jpg

I actually find that interesting, although I'd find it more interesting if you'd explain what you just said to a layman like me.

What is the truss, what is the mover, and what is the SL side?

I actually find that interesting, although I'd find it more interesting if you'd explain what you just said to a layman like me.

What is the truss, what is the mover, and what is the SL side?

SL = stage left
truss = a support of some kind, sometimes a belt used to fasten large items in one place to keep from shifting (I believe)
mover = my ed-u-ma-cated guess :D is that this is like a dolly or rolling ("moving") platform of some kind which the truss fastens a piece of equipment to

To anyone with some more stagehand experience than me (that's probably about 80% of you), please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

SL = stage left
truss = a support of some kind, sometimes a belt used to fasten large items in one place to keep from shifting (I believe)
mover = my ed-u-ma-cated guess :D is that this is like a dolly or rolling ("moving") platform of some kind which the truss fastens a piece of equipment to

To anyone with some more stagehand experience than me (that's probably about 80% of you), please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

well, you had the first one right :p

truss would be the metal....uh....truss, i dunno how else to describe it, but it's what the lights are typically hung from in temporary lighting installs. in this case, there are two 4' vertical sticks (each made from two 2' pieces), one on either side of the drum riser. the one on the SL side has the ladder of one piece facing the audience, while the bracing on the other is facing the audience, while the ladder faces the side of the stage. both pieces should be the same, for structural integrity and aesthetic appeal.

found a pic of truss:
Lighting%20Truss%20Set%20up.jpg

mover: moving light...generally looks something like this:
studiospot250_sm.jpg

there's a moving light sitting on top of each of the vertical sticks of truss i described.

that'd be pretty brutal. looked more like a VL-something to me on the dvd though....but either way :zombie::erk:

I haven't seen the dvd so I wouldn't be able to tell.

Btw - we're thinking about changing all our Mac500's at my club ... would the VL's be a good option? They aren't nearly as expensive as the Martin ones, and they are much easier to move around (don't weigh as much, and you're actually able to change the lightbulb yourself w/o the danger of having glas everywhere, haha).

c.

to be honest, i don't really know a whole lot about lighting design and the benefits of particular fixtures. i know more about the setup and teardown of this stuff in the physical sense...i'm sure i could find out for you, though, if you really want to know.

Speaking of lighting, I noticed something at PP this year that I'd been kinda expecting, but hadn't seen before:

LED spotlights.

I figure they've gotta be more efficient and cooler-running than regular lights....plus, since they don't fade slowly, you can get some really fast effects with 'em. TSO used a lot of LED spots, too, to amazing effect.

Speaking of lighting, I noticed something at PP this year that I'd been kinda expecting, but hadn't seen before:

LED spotlights.

I figure they've gotta be more efficient and cooler-running than regular lights....plus, since they don't fade slowly, you can get some really fast effects with 'em. TSO used a lot of LED spots, too, to amazing effect.

They are very nice. Plus, they have the added benefit of not being white hot for hours after the show/set, so you don't have to worry about getting burned when moving around them. :hotjump:

--Mike