Saxon UK dates.

Paxoman

Sep 10, 2002
A stranger in a strange land!
Visit site
Don't get too excited, these dates are from 1979! I just thought it was interesting looking at the venues that Saxon played before 'the dam burst'! -

Saxon play;
Dudley JB's September 15
Dundee Technical College 21
Nottingham Boat Club 22
Brighton New Regent 23
London Music Machine 24
Glasgow University 25
Port Talbot Nine Volts 28
Tonypandy Naval Club 29
Newbridge Memorial Club 30
Wolverhampton Lafayette October 5
Middlesborough Rock Garden 12
Manchester University 13.
(Sounds, 15/09/79)

And then the dam started to burst! -

They start again at Oxford New Theatre on May 21 and continue at;
Chatham Central Hall 22
Bristol Colston Hall 23
Bracknell Sports Centre 24
Southampton Gaumont 25
Plymouth Fiesta 26
Yeovil Johnson Hall 27
Cardiff Top Rank 28
Leicester De Montfort Hall 29
Blackburn King George's Hall 30
Manchester Apollo 31
Edinburgh Odeon June 1
Aberdeen Capitol Theatre 2
Glasgow Apollo 3
Liverpool Royal Court 5
Dunstable Queensway Hall 7
(Sounds, 26/04/80)

Well and truly burst now! -

They start at St. Austell Cornish Riviera on November 20 and continue at;
Taunton Odeon 21
Swindon Leisure Centre 22
Chelmsford Odeon 23
Hemel Hempstead Pavilion 24
Wolverhampton Civic Hall 25
Cardiff Sophia Gardens 26
Sheffield City Hall 27
Bradford St. Georges Hall 29
Blackburn King Georges Hall 30
Manchester Apollo December 1
Liverpool Empire 2
Bristol Colston Hall 3
Leicester De Montfort Hall 4
Coventry Theatre 5
Oxford New Theatre 6
Ipswich Gaumont 7
Southampton Gaumont 8
Derby Assembly Rooms 9
Hanley Victoria Hall 10
Middlesbrough Town Hall 11
Edinburgh Odeon 13
Glasgow Apollo 14
Dundee Caird Hall 15
Newcastle City Hall 16
Birmingham Odeon 17
Gloucester Leisure Centre 18
London Hammersmith Odeon 19
Tickets at most venues go on sale this week and the top price is generally £3.25
(Sounds, 06/09/80)

£3.50 for a ticket!

One of the best things about this old info is it highlights an age when a UK tour was a proper tour.

Not three dates and stuff the rest of you.

I do consider myself lucky to see most bands that I want to see living as I do in close proximity to London Village (copyright Mark & Lard).

Intrestingly though Lemmy mentions in his autobiography that Motorhead during the early to mid 90's would have had to finance the tour themselves as promotors would not stump up the cash for full blown tours.

There's something missing! I still have my W of S Tour t-shirt from 1980 and it says they played from April 21st Newcastle City Hall through to May 11th at Stroud Leisure Centre. I saw them at Bradford on either 5th or 6th May. The dates have faded and it appears to have shrunk! I'm thinking of taking it back for a refund!

Fingers - Yeah your dead right, bands don't do extensive tours like they used to. Day's of touring North, South, East and West seem to have gone unfortunately.

Bert - yeah your right about the missing dates, because I saw Saxon at the Rainbow Theatre in 1980, think it was in april. These dates have been taken out of Sounds magazine and it was probably printed after the april dates.

Yeah I thought about that Lagoon. :(

Still, it happens to most bands really. And most bands would never have been going all these years. Just think of all the NWOBHM bands that were going, and how many are still going now? Just a handful. And not only are Saxon still going, they are BETTER now then ever! Both live and in the studio. :)

THOSE OLD TOURS USED TO BE FUCKING ACE. EVERY YEAR BANDS WOULD TOUR UP AND DOWN THE COUNTRY PLAYING EVERY SHITHOLE THEY CAME TO.NOW IT JUST LONDON BIRMINGHAM,GLASGOW MANCHESTER AND CARDIFF.THANKS FOR YER MONEY BYE.