Scald (the Irish one)

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Pulled out my Headworm today (HAHA, yeah lame is me) and it fookin' ruled as always. I think Vermaculatis or whatever is my most anticipated release of '05 at the moment. A fucked up instrumental Scald track. YES! Paul, what's the latest news?

Sorry, just got on my grind habit with old Carcass, Brutal Truth and Scald. I love Headworm. Total mindfuck music for the shadow-dwellers.

Uh, so anyone else still playing Headworm?

I'm going to right now. Whenever I yank it out it makes me want to, you know, yank it out. :loco:

I saw Paul listening to "unmixed vermitronic" the other day, I hope that means it's coming soon.

I love the build-up to the first real track on Headworm. Man, what fucked up grind this is, haha.

I'm just really curious as to what an super-long instrumental will sound like. As much as I lke Pete's rasp and growl, and yes, I even like his tazmanian devil vocals, I think Scald could really make something special with Vermaculatis. And maybe with code666's help, they can take off as one of metal's premier truly "fucked up" bands.

Paul, any idea on the artwork?

The key to this band is the atmosphere. They just sound fucking creepy to me, and I'd have to say that turns them from a good grind band into an one of UNRULY proportions.

some dodgy review

"lots of creepy artwork to compliment it, but not all out vileness."

Yes. I don't like that gore-grind bullshit (except Carcass).

And I'm glad you mentioned the distorted bass. Man, I love that thing. It's like a thick layer of fuckeduppedness.

And yeah, it's creepy. That red slipcase artwork is brilliant. Very spooky

Have you watched the CD-ROM boner stuff? Man that intro with the Headworm and the drums fucking rules, I start spinning around like that dude (chick?) whenever I toss it in the ol' 'puter.

The distorted bass is key to their sound, that's what really solidifies their wall of sound.

hoho- updates is it?
Vermiculatus will be released september

I've really been too busy / lazy to do a web update on scald, I will soon (and the unhinged site is seriously out of date)

but look at this- www.vermiculatus.me.uk

this is where all the vermiculatus info, credits + stuff will go when it comes out,because theres not too much text on the packaging

all the artwork is complete
I finished it a couple of weeks back
its all digitally painted (not using photograhs)
and took me months

I think Emi wants to give a preview of the front part of the cover soon
but all the other art will wait till release time
I think its some of my best

right now I'm working on the movie part
I have about 2 minutes of animation done
it'll be about 3 I think, I could make it longer but i'm avoiding repetition
glad you like the intro part of the rom because its basically the same :tickled:
well its a lot better + more complex and I reckon weirder o_O

the soundtrack will again be mashed up loops of the main event but I have a lot more time + room to play with

as far as the music goes, its all going acording to plan
we recorded all the live parts in one day
with some other time for extra guitar

its now been sequenced and mixing starts tomorrow
even unmixed it sounds ok
its running at about half an hour
which isn't 'that' long for a track these days
but remember none of the riffs are repeated
the synths are in progress too
but don't worry we haven't gone all 'europe' + gay
its creeeepy eeeeerrie atmosphere shit

when my ambient mixed part is added to the end it'll be around 45-50 mins
it'll run as a single track because its relative
it should be experienced in one sitting :ill:

by the way we're planning something else to happen fairly soon after this that'll probably be recorded in the summer :loco:

unhinged said:
by the way we're planning something else to happen fairly soon after this that'll probably be recorded in the summer :loco:

So you've got a 50 minute song set for release in September, and you're recording something else in the summer?

Well, what is it????

And how are none of the riffs repeated on the 50-minute track? I'm no musician, but isn't that fairly difficult?

Headworm shows awesome potential , I'm not that fond of it to be frank (7 or 7.5/10 for me) BUT this new instrumental album is one of my most anticipated release of the year along with Blut Aus Nord , Kayo Dot , Pelican , Lunar Aurora and Sigur Ros.

7/7.5 is a pretty good score, methinks. But I also think there are only a handful of 10/10 albums, so...

Headworm was Album of the Year 2003 for me. Before then I had simply never heard anything like it. Total originality.

It's surprising (not really) the avant-garde metal groupies don't like it. Prog-Grind, ambient sounds, sludge, doom, what the hell else do they need? But those groupies usually like to play it safe with "avant-garde" like fucking Arcturus. pffffffftttttttt....

unhinged said:
glad you like the intro part of the rom because its basically the same :tickled:
well its a lot better + more complex and I reckon weirder o_O
:kickass:
J. said:
It's surprising (not really) the avant-garde metal groupies don't like it. Prog-Grind, ambient sounds, sludge, doom, what the hell else do they need? But those groupies usually like to play it safe with "avant-garde" like fucking Arcturus. pffffffftttttttt....
Yeah I think a lot more people would dig on Scald if they actually you know, listened to them. Especially in this forum, I think a ton of the death/doom types would dig on this.

I wanna get me some Scald. Hopefully in Ireland, there will be some Scald available. Nemtheanga tipped me off to the location of a record store where some older Primordial shitz can be bought, so maybe they'll have some Scald shitz too. Who knows? I remember listening to samples off Scald's website 2 years ago or something and thinking "WTF?" in the good way!

I'm just as amused as Paul at the mental image of someone listening to grind, especially of this form, in a tractor. It fucks with my head, which is what I expect the mammoth instrumental to do. And if you like album-length epic instrumentals from hell, check out the album in my signature (guapo - five suns). Just don't expect it to rotate eternally. :)

J. said:
Headworm was Album of the Year 2003 for me. Before then I had simply never heard anything like it. Total originality...

out of interest, have you heard anything like it since?

J. said:

interesting point
I think a lot of the so called avante garde, simply isn't, like a lot of prog isn't progressive but retrogressive reworking
nothing is 100% original, I think it must be down to the %

So you've got a 50 minute song set for release in September, and you're recording something else in the summer?

Well, what is it????

not telling, :cool: I think it'll surprise a few
it kind of balances up our spectrum with vermiculatus
we've been rehearsing it and the design was done ages ago
lets just say it could get us into some serious shit where we live

And how are none of the riffs repeated on the 50-minute track? I'm no musician, but isn't that fairly difficult?

well its not quite true i suppose, the bit that we all played totals about 28-29 minutes, maybe a bit longer
the ambient sectionat the end is created from individual sound files from that session and some extra bits that have been recorded and some i've created

to put it very simply the whole concept / track represents a life and all its turmoils compressed into a day
the live bit that we play represents awake time , the ambient is sleep

right back to the point, on the bit that we play there are riffs that are repeated, it may be played twice, three times , nine times or whatever
a part might be made from 1-3 riffs and these will interplay
but once that part is done we don't return to it
there are 40 parts
if this makes any sense? its kind of hard to explain

Yeah I think a lot more people would dig on Scald if they actually you know, listened to them. Especially in this forum, I think a ton of the death/doom types would dig on this.

this is a problem we have
I suppose things are too disposable these days and people expect everything to be instant
we get called death quite a bit but I think its kind of a false
I really don't feel much of a connection to death metal in our music
theres a lot more thrash in there than death
doom I'm fine with
grind and crust also, thats were are roots and sound are
prog we're pretty big on, you'll hear more rush + king crimson than death if you listen closely
and of course some hardcore punk, misfits, discharge , DRI, dead kennedys

Ditto.

I can't stop thinking about it.I sincerely hope the creepy ambient bits with guitars & stuff , like on the longer Headworm tracks will be exploited at 500% :)