scandinavian folklore

lefay82

Per aspera ad astra
Apr 13, 2006
Italy
since some months I’ve been reading stuff about the folklore of northern countries.
Unfortunatly I can find only few books written in italian, mainly tales books from iceland, norway and sweden, so some things I’ve read i’ve found them on the net.
It’s a really interesting argument, i found a lot informations already passivly known through vintersorg or maybe more through otyg’s lyrics, I read about beings like vättar, myrdingar, älvor, älver, hulder, bäckahästen, näcken, nisse, troll, mossfolk, jättar, rå, draugen, irrbloss, mara and so on….

The most interesting thing is that some figures are present in folklores of also other coutries, of course with other names, but the characters and their features are still the same, so it’s really impressive how such different and distant cultures (in time and space) have generated similar toughts about world and nature.
The most clearing example that comes to my mind in this moment is the Mara. It can be found in nearly all cultures, first of all in ancients times as the Incubus. it can be found also in germany, I think is called Alp (so nighmare is called alptraum) .
The mara rides the breast of the sleeping person creating her/him difficulties to breath, nightmares, sleep paralisis and pavor nocturnus.
We do also have this figure in my region, I don’t know if also in any other of italy, but here it’s called the “LINCHETTO” (no chance I’m able to translate the meaning). The linchetto enters from the keyhole and makes a lot of tricks to the person who sleeps, including those already written, and also as the mara makes braids to domestic animals’ hair, like cows and horses.
It seems that also the english-speaking countries should have a such spiteful spirit, cause the word “ mare” appears in the composed word Night-mare.
So alp-traum for german, night-mare for england, mar-dröm (or marritt) for sweden, mar-tröð for iceland, and Incubo for italy (which is the only one term which doesn’t refer to the the ride or dream thing, but it’s linked with the old term Incubus)

It would be nice to know more about scandinavian folklore from people who lives there, and also about the folklore of the land of all of you….:kickass:

According to the native people of my land, a Rainbow Serpent once slithered its way across the country, which in turn carved the landscape. In its tracks were left deep valleys, rivers, waterholes and mountains. The Aboriginal people believe in 'the Dreamtime'. That we all exist in this world in a dream-like state; that we were, before the existence of plants and animals, spirits, that knew we would one day become personified, but did not know when, or where.

But then again, they're also the only primitive race not to have invented the wheel..

c.1290, "an evil female spirit afflicting sleepers with a feeling of suffocation," compounded from night + mare "goblin that causes nightmares, incubus," from O.E. mare "incubus," from mera, mære, from P.Gmc. *maron "goblin," from PIE *mora- "incubus," from base *mer- "to rub away, harm, seize" (cf. first element in O.Ir. Morrigain "demoness of the corpses," lit. "queen of the nightmare," also Bulg., Serb., Pol. mora "incubus;" Fr. cauchemar, with first element is from O.Fr. caucher "to trample"). Meaning shifted mid-16c. from the incubus to the suffocating sensation it causes. Sense of "any bad dream" first recorded 1829; that of "very distressing experience" is from 1831.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=nightmare

Since the spelling reform in Germany, Alptraum now can be written Albtraum which is more accurate, since "Alb" is the standard German version of that creature. It is raleted to swe. Alv and Englisch/German Elf and it's also the reason for "Elb" being the German counterpart of "elf" in Lord of the Rings :D

Another interesting connection (my favorite one): Both Hel and Huldra may be related to German Frau Holle (Mother Hulda in English) from the famous fairytale. In south Germany/Austria/Switzerland this person is called Percht(a) (the name is a cognate to English "bright"). "Holle" was also the nickname of the Norse goddess Frigg.

I pretty much use Wikipedia for a lot of stuff.
Books are difficult to find on this speicific subject, especially, in Italian.
I suggest search websites. If not in Italian, I'm almost positive there has to be websites in English, you seem like you understand that pretty well.

Here's a folklore story famous in the states of Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan in the USA. Growing up there, I heard about this guy A LOT.

And now, Paul Bunyan! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bunyan_(lumberjack)

"Lumberjack legends

Bunyan's birth was strange, as are the births of many mythic heroes, as it took 3 storks to carry the infant (ordinarily, one stork could carry several babies and drop them off at their parents' homes). When he was old enough to clap and laugh, the vibration broke every window in the house. When he was 7 months old he sawed the legs off of his parent's bed in the middle of the night. Paul and Babe the Blue Ox, his companion, dug the Grand Canyon when he dragged his axe behind him, and created Mount Hood by piling rocks on top of their campfire to put it out.

He is a classic American "big man" who was popular in 19th century America. Further, the Bunyan myths sprang from lumber camp tales, sometimes bawdy ones, to put it mildly. In one such tale, extreme cold forced bears to look for food; one wandered into a lumber camp. It chased the lumberjacks up a tree on which they had a ladder. To keep the bear from climbing after them (despite the fact that bears do not need ladders to climb trees), they kicked down the ladder. This saved them from the bear, but trapped them in the tree. To escape, the lumberjacks urinated in unison and created a frozen pole, which they slid down. Such tall tales, though later watered down, were attributed to a single character, Bunyan, and became the stories known today.

Babe the Blue Ox, Bunyan's companion, was a massive creature with exceptional strength. [1] Most imagery of Bunyan shows Babe the Blue Ox as being of proportionate size (meaning massive compared to everything else). Babe the Blue Ox became a regular part of the Bunyan stories because oxen were the preferred domestic animal (over horses or donkeys) for logging during the turn of the century, noted their ability to haul heavy loads in teams in areas of uneven footing."

Wisconsin was founded by, in part, grumpy Swedish, Norwegian, French, and Cornish immigrants, many of which became lumberjacks. The legends grew, and Paul Bunyan became famous as a myth. Every schoolkid in Wisconsin hears of Paul Bunyan a thousand times. And his trusty pal, Babe the Blue Ox!

we have a quite famous legend, here in tuscany, about the devil's bridge...then speaking with people from other regions i discovered that there are so many devil's bridges in italy, each one with its own story.
the real name of the bridge is "ponte della maddalena" but is known with the name of "ponte del diavolo" (devil's bridge) because it's quite old and quite odd.
it's situated in garfagnana, a mountain zone of tuscany, near the city of Borgo a Mozzano.
it's a medieval bridge, with a classic donkey-back shape, but its peculiarity is the asymmetric lenght and hight of its arches.
the legend tells about the constructor who promised to finish the bridge within a certain date but he soon noticed he wasn't able to do that. so he asked the help to the devil who of course gave him an hand, but with the promise to have the soul of the first person who will pass the bridge.
the brigde was finished in time and thanks to the devil's help is still there after centuries, but the contructor full of remorse talked with a preist who gave him the advice to put on the bridge, as first passer-by, a pig.
so the pact with the devil was absolved, the devil was forced to take the pig's soul and he disappeared very angry into the river's water
Il%20Ponte%20del%20Diavolo%20a%20Borgo%20a%20Mozzano.jpg

p7226.jpg

We also have a devil's bridge in my "capoluogo di provincia" btw the story you were telling us is typical also in norwegian folklore related to St. Olav and the Gygra (ogress, female troll)

i've been collecting troll since some time....
i totally love lommedalen trolls, especially the viking serie, but if i'm right the firm have closed....
only the nyform trolls reach italy now, and there're really expensive :cry:

i've been collecting troll since some time....
i totally love lommedalen trolls, especially the viking serie, but if i'm right the firm have closed....
only the nyform trolls reach italy now, and there're really expensive :cry:

Aren't these trolls getting even more dusty than LP collections? scnr ;)

Aren't these trolls getting even more dusty than LP collections? scnr ;)

ahahahah :lol:

the difference is:
trolls are born to collect dust!
lps NO!

i mean, an object as a troll has no other meaning of life than to stay on a shelf...this doesn't work for something that should be played and listened :)

we have a quite famous legend, here in tuscany, about the devil's bridge...then speaking with people from other regions i discovered that there are so many devil's bridges in italy, each one with its own story.

Those are beautiful pictures!

My great grandmother came from Italy; I should find out where she's from. I'd love to visit over there!

Those are beautiful pictures!

My great grandmother came from Italy; I should find out where she's from. I'd love to visit over there!

tuscany is beautiful, and not for i am born here....because it is! :p

what i love mostly are those sweet hills landskapes full of colours and sunlight....with wine or sunflower or grain fields and cypress rows, and with old and rural mansions on the top of those hills...
more or less this is what i'm speaking about
Beautiful+Tuscany_+Italy.jpg

tuscany%20fields.jpg

and of course i like the little medieval towns up the montains, with those tiny and cobbled paving streets where no car can pass 'cause too small

this is one of the most beautiful (and maybe famous) towns, san gimignano....all the city is pedestrian and the medieval feeling was also preserved by the presence of artigianal shops where old crafts are still practiced
sangimignano.jpg

sangimignano2.jpg

san%20gimignano4.jpg

san-gimignano.jpg

unfortunatly i do live on the sea and it's not so charming :erk: