Scar Culture - Inscribe

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
SCAR CULTURE - INSCRIBE
Century Media - 2001

By Rodrigo

Scar Culture is one of the latest new signings for Century Media and a big push has been made by them to get their name out in the metal world. Scar Culture were even part of the Ten Year Anniversary Party in late September at the Roxy. Their inclusion to that bill was kind of surprising and their short 20-minute performance really didn’t do much of an impression for me. But that was the first time I heard them and maybe if I listened to the album my opinion would change. Well that wasn’t the case.

Sure Scar Culture play aggressive, fast and brutal death metal but does all that make you a great band? This album was produced by Billy Milano of S.O.D. and when he was asked to describe Scar Culture all he could say was, "Fucking brutal." Well, isn’t that a bit vague. It’s like describing the action of a football game as "Fucking brutal." That doesn’t tell you much about the intricacies and the way the game is played. Well Billy’s description doesn’t really describe the little things about Scar Culture. Maybe its because there is nothing really positive to talk about Scar Culture.

Pheroze Karai’s singing remind me of the guy from Catastrophic and if you read my review of that album you must know that I am not giving Pheroze a compliment. It seems that if you are a singer from New York and are part of a death metal, grind core band you must sound like a dog barking or like some dying animal that needs to be put out of its misery. Well, could the music work without the singing? Sadly the answer is no.

To me these hybrid bands that combine death metal with grind core and hardcore sounds just don’t work. To some other ears this might be awesome but this is such an annoying style of music geared for teenagers who just want to get rowdy in the pit. This much is true, Inscribe is an assault to your ears and it doesn’t stop. I can see how people can get excited and head bang to this music and start moshing. But there has to be more to the music than just that aspect to it and Scar Culture really don’t offer anything else to the listener. It’s brutal music and that’s it.

Either you like it or you don’t. That’s what it boils down to it with bands like Scar Culture. What bothers me is how a band like this can get such a big push but a more deserving band like Sigh gets nary a mention.

Century Media Website
Scar Culture Official Website