SCAR SYMMETRY parts ways with vocalist :(

I dunno, Scar Symmetry reminds me of new Soilwork and In Flames. I'm just not into vocal driven music. I LOVE the first 2 Soilwork records, I love Darkane, At The Gates (I have their fuckin' logo tattoo'd on my leg!), Dimension Zero, In Thy Dreams, Dark Tranquillity, Edge of Sanity, etc, I'm a big fan of swedish melodeath. But this stuff just sounds like a european, slightly harder/metalled out version of Elton John or something. There's no balls, aggression, and most of all no RIFFS! Everything is so predictable and boring, nothing ever catches you by surprise and they never play one of those riffs that makes your hairs stand on end because of how badass it is... I dunno, band just seems mindlessly half assed and generic in every way.

EDIT: Listening to Morphogenesis now, seriously this is radio rock with a little growling in the verse... Seriously fuck, it annoys the shit out of me that a band with such cool artwork, lyric concepts, album titles and musicians can write such lackluster shit. I WANT to like this band because the image they put forward looks like some fucking awesome technical/futuristic melodic death metal band, but it's a complete tease.

Okay. I'm a huge Swedish metal freak, I listen to tons of it but I cannot understand why someone who likes all of the bands that you previously listed cannot get into Scar Symmetry.

Perhaps, because it's...Melodic...? Aaaaand catchy?

I'm not here to flame, but this is the problem I have with most metal elitists, which is what it this is, by the way. It's not "radio rock". I don't understand why we have to box ourselves in this teeny tiny little corner of liking music. Christian is an amazing vocalist, that wanted to show the world what he could do with his talent, not just ONE aspect of it, which apparently is all you want to listen to when it comes to Swedish metal.

What is so wrong with accepting that? Is it because it's not grimm and nekkro or however the hell you spell it? Is it wrong that someone who likes metal wants to sing inside that genre as opposed to growl like a rabid dog ALL THE TIME? To me it sounds as if that's what you want, which is okay because you are by all means entitled to your opinion. However, why would you come into a thread about a subject that you cannot stand, and start bashing away like typical 17 year old armed with an internet connection?

I don't understand it, I certainly have bands I don't like, but I don't seek threads about them just to post my opinion to rain on people's parades. But then again, this is a forum for metal fans, so let's do the world a favor and paint ourselves into the solidified picture that they already see us as, which would be the typical leather jacket wearing, long greasy haired, arrogant as fuck, "no one understands the political injustices in the world but me! But all I'm gun' do is sit here and shred and drink a 24 pack of beer" attitude whilest we listen to our droning, monotone, incredibly one dimensional kick+snare, pissed off music, loser mold.

Once again, not bashing you, but seriously? Seriously. As soon as you can come up with something as noteworthy as these guys who started this band to do something for fun and turn it into success? Tell us about it, until then, step outside your comfort zone and enjoy a little bit more than the Dethklok way of life. The sun won't hurtcha.

I dunno, Scar Symmetry reminds me of new Soilwork and In Flames. I'm just not into vocal driven music. I LOVE the first 2 Soilwork records, I love Darkane, At The Gates (I have their fuckin' logo tattoo'd on my leg!), Dimension Zero, In Thy Dreams, Dark Tranquillity, Edge of Sanity, etc, I'm a big fan of swedish melodeath. But this stuff just sounds like a european, slightly harder/metalled out version of Elton John or something. There's no balls, aggression, and most of all no RIFFS! Everything is so predictable and boring, nothing ever catches you by surprise and they never play one of those riffs that makes your hairs stand on end because of how badass it is... I dunno, band just seems mindlessly half assed and generic in every way.

EDIT: Listening to Morphogenesis now, seriously this is radio rock with a little growling in the verse... Seriously fuck, it annoys the shit out of me that a band with such cool artwork, lyric concepts, album titles and musicians can write such lackluster shit. I WANT to like this band because the image they put forward looks like some fucking awesome technical/futuristic melodic death metal band, but it's a complete tease.

Absolutely understand your point and I agree BUT you shouldn't compare them to such classic stuff you listed. It's kind of a new wave of swedish melodeath or whatever you may call it and should be treated totally different. I you are able to draw a line between these you might be able to enjoy their music from a different viewpoint. It's the subjectiveness that let's you interfere with your decision, last but not least, if the music doesn't give you any moments, then so be it ;)

It's a good solid band and I enjoy them but in no fucking way do they give me chills just like At The Gates, Edge of Sanity (insert other classic melodeath bands here...) do.

Horus, while I generally agree with your sentiment, let me show you, from a less emotionally-charged outside perspective, what your post looks like:

Okay. I'm a huge Swedish metal freak, I listen to tons of it but I cannot understand why someone who likes all of the bands that you previously listed cannot get into Scar Symmetry.

Perhaps, because it's...Melodic...? Aaaaand catchy?

I'm not here to flame, but FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME (x100)

Once again, not bashing you, but BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH (x50)

If you're gonna start ripping on the guy, accusing him of being "an elitist," comparing him to a "typical 17 year old with an internet connection," and implying that he adopts "the typical leather jacket wearing, long greasy haired, arrogant as fuck, 'no one understands the political injustices in the world but me! But all I'm gun' do is sit here and shred and drink a 24 pack of beer' attitude," and that his music tastes consist only of "droning, monotone, incredibly one dimensional kick+snare, pissed off music, loser mold," then don't try to deny it with disclaimers that have no meaning.

It's like the classic teenage girl thing of saying "No offense, but your a blah-di-blah-di-blah..."

I'm going to DL the whole discography and give it a shot, I like lots of "gay" shit, I'm no elitist... Just really can't see what stands out about these songs to ANYONE... Every thing that this band does "okay" another band does infinitely better so I'm trying hard to get it to click and see what it is that makes this an "album of the year" contender.... Will report back tomorrow!

Watching the studio vids again now, shit is still interesting regardless... Heard a few cool riffs in a background so hopefully the album surprises me. Henrik Ohlsson is still the man, I love his lyrical concepts that he's carried over from TiP...

Personally, I don't feel "Holographic Universe" is perfect by any means - I bought the CD last weekend, and have listened to it quite extensively since then, and honestly, I feel that pretty much every song (other than "Morphogenesis," "Ghost Prototype Part 1," "Holographic Universe," and "Prism and Gate," with "Three Dimensional Shadow" as the runner-up) is lacking in the chorus department, which is really disappointing - they all have great, memorable moments within them (whether it be verses, pre-choruses, or usually solos, thank you Per), but it saddens me that the aforementioned songs can have such catchy, awesome choruses, and the others IMO fail so epically in that department. The choruses I especially hate are "Timewave Zero" (what the hell is up with all those bluesy chromaticisms? Does not work for me), "Quantumleaper" ("If you rise I'll fall?" sorry, forced) and the worst by far IMO, "Fear Catalyst" (I HATE how, I dunno, hokey that chorus sounds, ESPECIALLY highlighted when it transitions into it so hideously awkwardly after the solo section in a completely different tempo).

The album is great, with a shitload of awesome ideas and moments, but of all the places to fail so repeatedly in, why chorus? :cry:

So I can't confrim this but... I was looking at wiki just to see shit about SS members and whatnot, and according to wiki none other that Dan Swano will be the replacement for Christian. That would be really dank if it's true.

....................................................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Don't do that to me. I might just die and go to heaven if that actually happened!

from listening to dan. i am going to hate scar symmetry. great. i loved christians flows. dan from what i've heard. has barely anything unique or cool about his flows

Fuck my life

oh iam not bashing him this is just out of opinion and taste totally, he's a great vocalist but he isn't what scar symmetry is. you know what i mean? I like edge of sanity alot. but i love the shear Br00tality of christian

Swano is my fucking man, and he's way more brutal IMO because his growls sound much more unique than Christian's (Christian has great growls but they're not very identifiable to me). Now in singing, Christian destroys Swano; Swano sings like the hybrid of a Disney singer and Scott Stapp (with a lisp and a Swedish accent :heh: ), which actually works out ok but is no match for the soaring of Christian. Still, I would love Swano in SS.

i love christians voxs cause they aren't the usual uber growls that come from your gut that everyone can do. his is a mix of throat and that, and it sounds fucking ridiciously brutal

i think Swano can match Christians vocals, i think he´s more than capable, but why join to SS if he have Bloodbath, Nightingale Etc. Etc.

If there is even a shred of truth in the Swano rumour (this is Wikipedia we are talking about, it's worse than Blabbermouth for wrong facts and thats saying something!!) then it'll be interesting to hear what he does.