scarlett 18i6

Only if the hi-z input can't handle the high output of your guitar pickups and starts clipping. Going through a DI box -> mic input solves that.

i have scarlet 2i4 and clips sometimes but i don't care because when i add ''distortion'' the ''clipping'' doesnt seem to change the overall sound as well ;)

i have scarlet 2i4 and clips sometimes but i don't care because when i add ''distortion'' the ''clipping'' doesnt seem to change the overall sound as well ;)

The 2i4 is the interface that I'm looking to buy this week but your comment made me a little nervous. This isn't the forst comment I've read about the input clipping but they have good reviews and the mic pres are supposed to be excellent for the price range.

Is there any way to know wether or not an interfaces input can handle the output of guitar pickups before buying the unit? I'm sort of a tech noob so I don't know what specs to look at.

Sorry, hope I haven't derailed the original post.

~scott

The 2i4 is the interface that I'm looking to buy this week but your comment made me a little nervous. This isn't the forst comment I've read about the input clipping but they have good reviews and the mic pres are supposed to be excellent for the price range.

Is there any way to know wether or not an interfaces input can handle the output of guitar pickups before buying the unit? I'm sort of a tech noob so I don't know what specs to look at.

Sorry, hope I haven't derailed the original post.

~scott

I've had scarlett 2i2, idk if 2i4 using the same preamp as 2i2. My interface is clipping so bad even with gain setting at ZERO. I'm using PRS SE with emg 81/85 pickup. I tought using di box will avoid clipping, so I ordered orchid micro di box. funny thing is it's still clipping even with di box lol (actually it would clipping if you pick your guitar HARD but still I cant get that "-6db headroom" things) I ended that clipping problem with lowering my vol knob.

Damn, that worries me even more...

I have a Gibson SG w/ stock 490R/490T pu's in it. I certainly don't want clipping going in and lower vol knob on the guitar changes the output of the guitar and I don't want that.

Hmm... what to do.

~scott

You guys are using the instrument setting on the input switch, there's two options line and instrument, my guess is the line setting works as a pad (2i2 has no pad button, the other models do), I had no clipping with input at 12o'clock and EMG81/85 with the 2i2 interface. Seems kinda backwards but sadly it's the only way to avoid clipping with humbuckers.

They're fine, see what I wrote above. Whether or not using line instead of instrument on the interface affects the tone I can't tell because mine clips too with instrument setting and 0 gain, either way seems like a design flaw. I compared the specs of the 2i series to the saffire 6 and the latter has a proper instrument switch (can handle higher voltages). If you're uncertain check out the saffire line, the saffire 6 seems to be better than the 2i4 and it's much cheaper.

Thank you for your response Ascendant, I appreciate it. I'll check out the saffire!

~scott