Schecter guitars.

wicked_s

Sep 19, 2004
I'm planning to buy a couple of new guitars. I've been looking on the Schecter guitars and I have some questions... I've got the impression that some of the boarders here use Schecter. What's the difference between them? Like the 006... there is 006 Black jack, 006 Deluxe, 006 Elite. If anyone here have experience with these guitars, pleas give me some feedback.
:headbang:

Oh man, I'm drooling for that C1 Classic for months now! o_O
Now if only I had a chance of actually trying it out... :D
Its specs are fabulous on paper, as is her price, it sounds like mighty fine buy, but I'd rather try it out.

The Elite and Black Jack's have set necks, Deluxe is a bolt on.
Black Jack also has Duncans stock whilst the Elite has Duncan Designed pickups.
Ive tried a load of them out when I was looking to get a 006 and they all played great.. Found that two different guitars of the same model tended to sound differently though so try them out first if possible

fredrik-ablaze said:
Found that two different guitars of the same model tended to sound differently though so try them out first if possible

This is common with ALL guitar manufacturers. I own about 20 guitars, mostly USA made Gibsons, Jacksons, a custom shop USA Jackson, and USA Paul Reed Smiths, USA Fenders. In my collection is also some Ibanez, Schecter, and LTD guitars. ESP makes LTD. ESP also makes Schecter. I own an ESP/LTD EC-1000 deluxe black with dual EMG's, and I own a Schecter Hellraiser C7.

When I bought my EC-1000, I had bought it online sight unseen and never played one once. It arrived, and I started immediately comparing it to my 74 Les Paul Custom, and my PRS Custom 22 and 24, my USA Jackson Soloist, I mean, all the guitars I paid 3-4 times the price for. This guitar kicks ass. It's got remarkable workmanship put into it. The fretwork was immaculate, as well as all of the binding and abalone purfling on the entire body, neck and headstock. The action was perfect, low as possible without any buzz, and still in tune after a trip across 7 states in a truck. At first, I was sorry to say that it played JUST as well if not then BETTER than my guitars that cost me thousands of dollars. But now I'm happy that it does. It goes to show me, and anyone I talk to about them, how much of a quality product ESP is pumping out with seemingly absurd prices for what you are getting.

When I ordered my Schecter Hellraiser C7, I never played it once. I had gone to the store and played the BlackJack C7, and I liked it, but I was yearning for a 7-string with EMG's in it. The guy showed me their dealer's catalog they just got from Schecter at the time, and I was blown away. I immediately went home and got on the phone with DrumCityGuitarLand and pre-ordered a Hellraiser as soon as I could. It arrived on my doorstep, I took it inside, opened the box, opened the case, stepped back. I nearly applauded the guitar. It is perfect in every way. I couldn't ask for anything else from this guitar at all.

With that said. I have a little comment to make.

When I purchased my PRS Custom 22 adn 24, most of my USA Jacksons, my USA Fenders, and my USA Gibsons....I had to see and play them in person before I could buy them. Between Gibson's hit and miss production and Jackson's quality dropping due to Fender buying them out, I had to make sure I got the one I wanted. With the ESP, LTD, and Schecter...I could just order it, and when it got home, fucking play it and not worry about a thing.

Anyway, Schecter's guitars rock. With the exception of the Hellraiser series, the BlackJack series is probably the best version of any of their guitars you can buy. Very nice stuff.

~006

I totally agree with 006 there.

The C-series are the only Schecters I'd personally go for. Their entire catalogue is way too cheap for you to just fork out $100 less for a subpar model to their high-end ones.

If you're after a 6-string, I'd recommend 3 models to check out:

C1-Classic
C1-BlackJack
C1-Hellraiser

By memory, the Hellraiser has the highest quality all-round wood usage and an EMG 81 and 85 set in it.

The C1-Classic has the great Duncan JB/Jazz combo in it and looks totally stunning. There's also a 5 way pickup selector so you can coil tap.

One thing I'll cite amongst all the Schecter worship. I haven't played any other Schecters but on my C-7 Hellraiser I've found that the reach to the higher frets 22+ is a bit limited and it gets very hard to do good vibrato and bend up there. Along with that of course it seems none of their models are available with any kind of tremolo, stock.

006 said:
ESP also makes Schecter
*EEEEEEEEEE* wrong answer.

Schecter_website said:
Q: Is Schecter Guitar affiliated with ESP guitars??
A: F*ck No!
http://schecterguitars.com/faq.asp

Moonlapse said:
Along with that of course it seems none of their models are available with any kind of tremolo, stock.
There's at least 6 models that have one:

http://schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=14 C-1 FR
http://schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=140 Hellraiser C-1 FR
http://schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=34 Damien FR
http://schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=158 Banshee
http://schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=75 Ultra III
http://schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=149 Corsair

I'm almost certain they're made in the same factory though :)

I really like some of the new c series- especially the c-1 exotic. It has a full maple cap instead of a veneer so it probably sounds a bit different. Of course, as was mentioned all of them play/sound a little different anyway. When I bought mine I ended up choosing the c-1 elite over the classic despite having worse pickups because it sounded better unplugged, and the action just felt "right." Slapped some new duncans in and voila- awesome guitar.

As a sidenote, schecter USA is IMO a cut above esp. Their custom shop churns out some of the sexiest guitars available anywhere and if I had that type of money I'd be all over it. The korean series are, I believe, of about the same quality as the korean esp's. Doesn't cort own all the big factories in korea anyway? At least I think it was cort...

Actually Schecter is a wholly-owned subsidiary of ESP Guitars:

http://p222.ezboard.com/fespguitarsmessageboardfrm16.showMessage?topicID=1.topic

Take it straight from ESP. Schecter wants to pretend they're independent, and in many ways they are autonomous, but their guitars are made in the LTD factory in Korea and exactly NONE of them match up with ESP's quality standards.

That being said, some of the higher end Schecters are decent guitars, and in no way would I ever try to discourage somebody from getting a Schecter. The Hellraiser C7 looks sweet in particular!

Does the C1 Hellraiser play/ feel different to the C1 Classic/Plus/ Exotic?

I cant remember which modle i played (Classic, Plus or Exotic) but if thats how the Helraiser feels, im not all that impressed, can anyone help me out here?

I'd love the new C1 Hellraiser FR \m/, as long s it plays better than the affore mentioned models.

Daniel

Kazrog said:
Actually Schecter is a wholly-owned subsidiary of ESP Guitars:

http://p222.ezboard.com/fespguitarsmessageboardfrm16.showMessage?topicID=1.topic

Take it straight from ESP. Schecter wants to pretend they're independent, and in many ways they are autonomous, but their guitars are made in the LTD factory in Korea and exactly NONE of them match up with ESP's quality standards.

That being said, some of the higher end Schecters are decent guitars, and in no way would I ever try to discourage somebody from getting a Schecter. The Hellraiser C7 looks sweet in particular!

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Related models (006, C, etc.) but in different formats (classic, exotic, blackjack, hellraiser, etc.) tend to be the exact same guitar, size and feel wise, just with different bells and whistles. The BlackJack C7 feels exactly, plays exactly, and is basically the same exact thing as the Hellraiser C7, only the Hellraiser comes with EMG's, and different aesthetics. I'm not keen on their other models, the super-strat body of the C series catches my attention the most. Although, I wouldn't mind a nice series 006 or 007 :).

As mentioned the Hellraiser is probably the top of the line Schecter series at the moment. For the sheer fact that they put about $200 more worth of pickups in them, and have some more articulate inlay work than the other series (besdies the exotics). I almost bought a BlackJack C7, but I love my active pickups, so I went with the Hellraiser. If I was a passives guy, I would've easily picked up the BlackJack instead. I mean, it was my first choice and probably would have bought it anyway until I saw the Hellraiser.

General consensus is that Schecters fucking rock and you get a helluva bang for your hard earned buck when it comes to their nicer guitars. Their lower-end models aren't all that bad either, but like Moonlapse said, why buy a cheaper model when you can spend like $100-200 more and get their nice ones? :)

~006

I've yet to play an ESP/LTD that I don't want to launch at the wall out of frustration, so I'll hold my thoughts on them until I play a decent one in the same price range I got my Hellraiser for.

Chances are that I'd still be a Jackson user if it wasn't for the insane pricing of their USA Select Series and that there isn't a stock 7-string model I like.

The great thing about Schecter is that they offer fantastic hardware for the price. I have no doubts that I'd most likely be playing a different guitar if I had insane amounts of money... but for their price bracket, Schecter are hard to beat.

@Torniojaws: Thanks for making me aware of that. I searched their site extensively but never ran into those models.

I have a custom shop USA ESP Eclipse, and it's not all that great. I bought it back a few years ago in the false pretense of thinking that they were actually nice. It stays in it's case 90% of the time. Every once in a while when a band comes into the studio, I'll make them use it, I mean it's nice n all, but for me...it's just not up to *my* standards.

That said, my LTD EC-1000 is one of my favorite guitars. It's probably my most played 6-string of all. It usually stays at home with me, I leave the eye candy (USA Jacksons and PRS) at the studio. I like a guitar that I can feel comfortable beating the shit out of. I just can't bring myself to do that to my PRS Custom 22. Or my RR-1. Even though the EC-1000 is, to me, a really nice guitar. Honestly, I can't stand their other models. I absolute hate all of the other guitars that LTD makes. It's like they try *too* hard or something. I got my EC-1000 for like $796 new with case when they first came out. My Hellraiser C7 was $769 new with case. In my opinion, they are both very nice guitars and should cost a lot more than they do. Can't say the same for the other LTD models though :(.

~006

I think you just get that sometimes, 006. You get a 'dud' low-end model that just shines completely. A friend's dad, who lives a few houses away from me here has about 10-15 or so guitars. One of them is an old Samick. Man that thing ROCKS. It seriously plays (and sounds) better than high-end Gibsons that I've played in the past. I don't know what it is, but every once in a while, one of those guitars just tends to pop up.

I suppose this is true. But the other EC-1000's that I have played in stores are the same to me. They all are just as good. When I go to try out the JSX, I always grab an EC-1000 black, just like mine, to plug into the amp with. It's identical to the one I have. But even still, the other "deluxe" series blow. The H-1000, the MH-1000, etc. all really don't even compare somehow to the EC-1000. Maybe it's just me...

~006

006 said:
Related models (006, C, etc.) but in different formats (classic, exotic, blackjack, hellraiser, etc.) tend to be the exact same guitar, size and feel wise, just with different bells and whistles. The BlackJack C7 feels exactly, plays exactly, and is basically the same exact thing as the Hellraiser C7, only the Hellraiser comes with EMG's, and different aesthetics. I'm not keen on their other models, the super-strat body of the C series catches my attention the most. Although, I wouldn't mind a nice series 006 or 007 :).

As mentioned the Hellraiser is probably the top of the line Schecter series at the moment. For the sheer fact that they put about $200 more worth of pickups in them, and have some more articulate inlay work than the other series (besdies the exotics). I almost bought a BlackJack C7, but I love my active pickups, so I went with the Hellraiser. If I was a passives guy, I would've easily picked up the BlackJack instead. I mean, it was my first choice and probably would have bought it anyway until I saw the Hellraiser.

General consensus is that Schecters fucking rock and you get a helluva bang for your hard earned buck when it comes to their nicer guitars. Their lower-end models aren't all that bad either, but like Moonlapse said, why buy a cheaper model when you can spend like $100-200 more and get their nice ones? :)

~006

Cheers man

Kazrog said:
but their guitars are made in the LTD factory in Korea and exactly NONE of them match up with ESP's quality standards.

Well Shane do you think that with 500$ you can get a decent LTD?
Well with 500 dollars I bought a brand new schecter C7 blackjack, with that amount of money I can't get a good LTD, as you said here LTD are good from 400 series and up.
200's and 300's suck !!!
Guys pay attention: LTD is good just for their 400 series and 1000 series, the rest is shit.
Anyway the anniversary stuff is cool, very cool.

Maurizio