Schoenberg the metalhead?

Nagle

poser, not guitarist
Aug 19, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
bathotaxe.com
The beginning of his 3rd string 4-tet sounds very much like Cynic with its quick doubling of the notes in the ostinato.

There are also blast beats to be found in the Violin Concerto - a passage where the percussion hits a crash cymbal and snare drum rapidly together.

Pretty metal, huh? This realization has been making my day today.

Oh dope.

I've been on a big Schoenberg kick for quite some time now - listening, studying scores, reading about him, reading his writings, etc. Milton Babbitt's essays about him (and about his own music but that's a different animal altogether) have been indespensible in my study.

He has a book on Tonal Harmony that I'm going through right now just for shits and to refresh my memory of freshman year theory. It contains a lot more than was ever covered in class too. His book's not only useful for the technical stuff that it demonstrates but interesting if one wants to get the opinions and ideas of his quirky genius firsthand with funny analogies, his tastes or distastes for certain progressions, and intimations of the demise of tonality.

Actually, I'm more just interested in twelve-tone music in general and it's extensions in the more compositionally complex (and often more virtuostic and out sounding) modern classical music.

Babbitt's the man in this arena and I'm starting to get a pretty good grasp on his music as difficult to understand as it was when I first encountered it. It required quite a bit of brute intellectual force (how's that for an oxymoron?) to get me where I am in relation to it but I'm really happy I've made the effort. He's quite a composer's composer and his bag o' twelve-tone tricks is pretty much unsurpassed in terms of complexity and depth of compositional thought but I was originally drawn to his music for purely sonic reasons, not it's "techness", if you will. I definitely need to take lots of math courses when I go back to school - making up for lost time in high school and learning more stuff about set theory, combinatory theory, partitioning and other things that have direct musical applications.

What's the name of the Schoenberg book?
I took a composition class my junior yr where we used 12-tone rows; we got to where we were mixing several 12-tone rows together in & out of each other to create pieces. Nothing very extravagant, but it was really interesting. I'd kind of like to read more about it.

What sorts of configurations were you using to go between rows?

Right now, I'm working on teaching myself how to build all-partition arrays which are an extension of the inversionally combinatorial hexachordal arrays Schoenberg used for aggregate formation between two rows.

I know how to make trichordal arrays with various properties but Babbitt kind of milked those things of most all possible compositional possibilities. All-partition arrays (which use all the possible ways of dividing an aggregate into a given number of parts or less - hence the name) are much more compositionally suggestive rhythmically and flexible.

As for books, the Schoenberg book is just his treatise on tonal harmony - no twelve tone stuff whatsoever.

Books I would suggest on twelve tone composition and atonal theory in general:

An Introduction to Post-Tonal Theory by Joseph Straus - talks about all the basics of post-tonal theory. Totally indespensible and should be the first thing you read if you're interested in this stuff. Also check out Allen Forte, George Pearle and John Rahn's books on the subject. The content is pretty much the same but the one I have the most experience with (and own) is the Straus book so that's why I recommend it.

Simple Composition by Charles Wuorinen - Great step-by-step approach to teaching how to compose twelve tone music with serialized rhythm from one of my favorite composers. Sometimes he gets dogmatic but that can be overlooked, IMO. This is a practical guide rather than an analytic one. Great exercises - many of which are geared toward cultivating an aesthetic sense when writing this type of music. It's definitely short on theory though. It demonstrates certain concepts and shows you ways of using them but doesn't explain the reasoning behind those concepts all that much. It is a practical guide though, after all.

Words About Music - Lectures by Milton Babbitt edited into a book. Absolutely indespensible. Great stuff about Schoenberg and Webern and his own music which is based, in large part, upon generalizations and extensions of the original theories. There's even some stuff about Stravinsky, Wagner, Bach, and Schenkerian approaches to tonal theory. This book is full of witticisms and the material is presented in an engaging manner. Sometimes Babbitt goes off on wonderful tangents that are seemingly unrelated to the topic of the chapter but he always manages to relate these to his point in a fascinating way - sort of like his own music.

An Introduction to the Music of Milton Babbitt by Andrew Mead - Analytic text about Babbitt's music (although a lot of practical knowledge can be gained by infrence and analyzing parts of the music that the text doesn't explain). I feel like assumes a little too much knowledge on the part of the reader. If I didn't read the Straus book before this one, I'd be totally lost. I'm on my 3rd or 4th time through that book and I'm still learning new things from it. If you're into Babbitt, this book is absolutely necessary as it's the best single source on his music available.

Misc. articles by Babbitt (such as the link I posted) - extremely technical and not easy to get through but once you understand his theorems and whatnot, you'll have a better idea of the possibilities inherent in certain twelve tone structures than from reading any of the other books. I haven't read all his technical writings but I certainly intend to. There's very powerful information for both analysis and practical compositon contained within these articles.

Well, I should emphasize that I was NOT a music major. And it was an early, freshman level composition class. Hopefully i can find a decent school to take some more classes around here, because it really interested me- i just didn't have the space in my major's schedule to do more music classes without doing a double major (which would've been an extra year or two).

so, basically, we just learned a bit about the possibilities of writing using 12-tone rows, and experimented with them. No specific configurations or patterns going between rows or anything- it was all just real experimental. I tried using a 12-tone type way of thinking when i was working on writing the beginning slow part of Reaping Forest Calm on ND's Sculptured Ivy.. It's not a whole 12-tone row, but that's what was in my head when i worked on it.
But I'd really like to read more about specific formulaic developments people have used. Thanks a TON for the book recommendationz. I'll check out a library to see if they have any- wish i still had access to northwestern's stacks.

what we did in class was basically a haphazard organization of 12-tone rows- some paid attention to the order they were using to create a somewhat listenable end product, and some just did it more methodically (although no actual predefined methods were introduced in that class). rhythms were left up to the discretion of the student- which probably also ended up like the tone order selection (listenable vs. methodical).

the class was only like 12 weeks (NU's on a quarter system), so there was not much time, and then i never really picked it up much after that. but it's time to try some new stuff i think.

yo Nagle...you gots the new Jarzombek CD (I suppose you are into him)

it's called Solitarily Speaking of Theoretical Confinment

45 short tracks that are more like excercises than songs...but still a pretty whacked out cd....tons o chops.

Azal: Yeah. I think that disc is rad. I'm a huge Spastic/'Tower/Jarz. fan.

Eric: The whole point of the methodology is to creat musical structures that lead the listener's ear through the chromatic world of a piece. Sorry if I sounded completely corny. Rows are abstract structures. They're not just sources of thematic material. To write music using an exclusively twelve tone language you must realize that and build certain characteristics that you want in your piece into the row then use the row class as a large-scale orgainzer. Then you still have to worry about the composition of the surface details of your music.

Ideally, there shouldn't be any division between listenable and methodical because the methods are geared towards creating chains of recurrences (like a particular ordered or unordered collection of pitches or a transposition or inversion of it). You can explore a single idea in a twelve tone piece as Webern did in the second movement of his Op. 27 piano variations (he kept the index number of inversion between two row forms constant and composed out a canon so that one would always hear the same pitch-class dyads occuring throughout the piece albiet occuring in different orders) or you can go farther afield and exploit a number of relationships inherent in your row in a single piece. Babbitt does this and, through different ways of partitioning the aggregate and various tricks of inversion of array lynes (twelve tone jargon) within partitional structures, can create a musical surface where the row class of the work often never literally appears with lots of repeated pitch classes happening before all twelve tones have been sounded. It would be WAY beyond the scope of a message board post to explain this stuff but my point is that you use the methodical stuff to create a web of associations through a piece. You can be as literal or go as far afield as you like while always being able to keep your bearings in relation to the original row.