School me in metal.

LogicPhase

New Metal Member
Sep 22, 2015
Hello Ultimate Metal.

I wasn't sure if I should post this topic here, as reading the guidelines suggests the "recommendations thread" might be appropriate. However, clicking on the link pulls up a nonexistent thread.

So I'll post here, and trust in the Mods that be to properly locate my post. (Or remove it if it's not interesting enough)

I'm new to the Heavy Metal genre, having listened to pop most of my life. For some reason I randomly found a few songs on youtube and it struck a chord with me. A deep one. But these are modern bands, one was called Mastadon and the other Symphony X.

I'd like to get an education in heavy metal in it's purest form. I know nothing about the history of it, or the bands that defined it.

Certainly I could scour the Google and perhaps find an article or two, but I'd rather get guidance from people I can interact with, so I can ask questions. Etc.

I'm asking the diehard fans who thoroughly know the history and the roots of Metal, for recommendations on what bands/albums to listen to, in order to get a solid foundation to gain a deep insight into the roots and evolution of this highly technical form of music.

Start me at the beginning, the prototype bands. The ones that were playing Metal before it was so Named. Then I'd like to get into the best there was of the classics, in what I assume would be Classic Metal.

I'm easy going so if there is a recommended chronology in which to begin my listening education, I'd appreciate it. If you don't have that much time or interest on your hands, I'll gladly accept a quick list of who I should dive into to begin my journey.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel the expanded explanation might be helpful in getting the guidance I need.

Thanks!

Black Sabbath is probably the first band to have more than a few songs that could be called heavy metal. Their classic lineup albums are mandatory for anyone who wants to learn about the genre.

Judas Priest's first four albums are also monumentally influential.

Start me at the beginning, the prototype bands. The ones that were playing Metal before it was so Named.

Late 60's proto metal:
Blue Cheer
Iron Butterfly
Deep Purple

Then I'd like to get into the best there was of the classics, in what I assume would be Classic Metal.

Some influential names in the development of metal:

Early 70's:
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Budgie
Bang
Lucifer's Friend
Uriah Heep
Sir Lord Baltimore

Late 70's:
Iron Maiden
Rainbow
Motorhead

Scorpions

Early 80's:
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer

Anthrax
DRI
Venom
Suicidal Tendencies
Manowar
Angel Witch
Accept
Dio
Metal Church
Saint Vitus
Trouble
Diamond Head

Late 80's:
Death
Testament
Exodus
Celtic Frost
Napalm Death
Possessed
Kreator
Overkill
Sepultura
Candlemass
Coroner
Morbid Angel
Pestilence
Obituary
Voivod
Helloween

Early 90's:
Atheist
Pantera
Bathory
Burzum
Sleep
Dream Theater
Dissection
Carcass
Amorphis
Immolation
Immortal
Korn

Late 60's proto metal:
Blue Cheer
Iron Butterfly
Deep Purple

Some influential names in the development of metal:

Early 70's:
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Budgie
Bang
Lucifer's Friend
Uriah Heep
Sir Lord Baltimore

How in the world is Deep Purple not in that second part of your list?? mindblowing. Only band that was more influential on the development of metal from the ones you mentioned is BS.

edit: Also, none of their 60's work is heavy metal. That all started with the first mark II lineup album, which was DPiR(1970).

How in the world is Deep Purple not in that second part of your list?? mindblowing. Only band that was more influential on the development of metal from the ones you mentioned is BS.

Feel free to make your own list. I consider them hard rock/proto metal. I didn't list any band twice, though black sabbath could have been up there multiple times among others.

None of their 60's work is metal. That all started with the first mark II lineup album, which was DPiR(1970).

When most people think of early 70's heavy metal, the first two bands that come to mind are Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. But let me get this straight, are you saying that Uriah Heep, Sir Baltimore, Budgie, Bang and Lucifer's Friend were heavy metal bands, but Purple wasn't????

Also, they're far more influential than most of the bands you mentioned there.

Okay we get it, we all know you thump deep purple albums like a redneck with a bible. So focused on just 1 band. I guess you don't need to make a list because it will look like this:

Late 60's:
Deep Purple

Early 70's:
Deep Purple
maybe Black Sabbath

Late 70's:
Deep Purple

Early 80's:
Deep Purple
maybe Megadeth

yeah man, you nailed it. :rolleyes:

you need help pulling that stick out of your ass?

also lol at you trying to take a shot at what one of my lists would look like when you were asking us for those same types of recs just a few years back. I'm basically one of your metal teachers, so you should know better. You were just a thumb-sucking clueless little lad when you showed up here. :lol: Now go to sleep, son.

EDIT: oh and thanks for dodging everything i mentioned with your potshot response.

None of their 60's work is metal. That all started with the first mark II lineup album, which was DPiR(1970).

When most people think of early 70's heavy metal, the first two bands that come to mind are Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. But let me get this straight, are you saying that Uriah Heep, Sir Baltimore, Budgie, Bang and Lucifer's Friend were heavy metal bands, but Purple wasn't????

I said influential to metal. Yes some of those are more metal than DP.

they're far more influential than most of the bands you mentioned there.

Yeah man, Deep Purple is more influential than Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer and Death for sure :rolleyes:

Deep Purple also created Black Metal. and then single handedly created the internet just so we can praise them. There's nothing more metal than Deep Purple man.

I said feel free to make your own list, but instead you just proceeded to continue ranting at me about Purple. I'm done with it, I don't care about the band nor like their music, so this is what you get. Pushing it constantly like this doesn't make me like them any more that's for sure.

I don't know about this teacher stuff either, maybe you showed me 3 or 4 bands from that list but I found most of it myself or from other sources. I'm going to bed anyway, work in the morning. Like I said, make your own better list mr. miyagi.

Thanks guys, especially Baroque for the list!

The discussion is a little confusing to me. It looks like there's some disagreement about a few bands being influential or not influential. I guess it can't hurt to check them out regardless, if nothing else to get a better sense of the history of metal.

He has a good list, but you shouldnt listen to ANYONE that flushes their own credibility down the toilet by questioning the influence of one of the forefathers of the genre.

@ baroque : "but he does it tooo" :rolleyes: yeah bro, you're officialy on my shit list. And I didn't "do" shit here, it's not like i was even praising the band .... just being factual and pointing out your mistakes.

Ahh and Exmortus, just another one of the countless number of bands that i introduced you to.

Thanks guys, especially Baroque for the list!

The discussion is a little confusing to me. It looks like there's some disagreement about a few bands being influential or not influential. I guess it can't hurt to check them out regardless, if nothing else to get a better sense of the history of metal.

All of those bands are very influential in some shape or form. Even the ones from the early 70's that he called into question, if only because of the time frame they were in. If a listener from the early 70's got into Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Deep Purple, and then started looking for more heavy music, what do you think they would find? Those bands.

And yeah even Deep Purple deserves to be on there. I'm just not so sure about them being focused on so heavily. They still have a lot of rock elements and are less metal than BS and JP in the same time frame.

It's just needless forum bickering really, you'll see a lot of it around here but if you look past that there is some valuable knowledge.