School me in metal.

:lol: you just keep proving how completely clueless you are. Lucifer's Friend have ONE album that barely falls under the title of heavy metal. And have you even listened to it all the way through before saying something so ridiculous?

But, why encourage anyone to listen to them? That's like saying people should check out Hitler because he created an influential. way of thinking.

Yeah I was actually trying to remain objective. Hitler could be interesting and influential from a truly objective perspective. Otherwise I wouldn't have listed the black metal influences and many other bands. It wasn't just bands I like.

Yeah I was actually trying to remain objective. Hitler could be interesting and influential from a truly objective perspective. Otherwise I wouldn't have listed the black metal influences and many other bands. It wasn't just bands I like.

If that's the case, you weren't inclusive enough.

Just to get my feet wet I got into Black Sabbath today.

I found a recording on youtube of a live performance in 1970, which seems to have the songs from their album "Black Sabbath."

The momentum of these guys on stage was amazing, and their drive was powerful. Almost as if they were pushing through the songs with some kind of dark energy. That probably sounds dumb, but I can't think of any other analogy for what I felt.

The only two words I can think of to sum up my listening experience are: Fucking. Brilliant.

Sabbath is one of those bands where most of their discography is superb. Their first eleven plus Dehumanizer are amazing.

Just to get my feet wet I got into Black Sabbath today.

I found a recording on youtube of a live performance in 1970, which seems to have the songs from their album "Black Sabbath."

The momentum of these guys on stage was amazing, and their drive was powerful. Almost as if they were pushing through the songs with some kind of dark energy. That probably sounds dumb, but I can't think of any other analogy for what I felt.

The only two words I can think of to sum up my listening experience are: Fucking. Brilliant.

Sabbath are the true originators of metal and to be completely honest almost nothing else from the 70's is worth your time. It wasn't until the 80's that any band clearly surpassed sabbath in terms of metalness. Rainbow and Motörhead in the late 70's maybe.

Nice that you guys not only introduced the OP to the origins of heavy metal but also the online world of metalheads, where fuckwits incoherently bicker about trivial details.

Just listen to Bathory.

:lol:

Sabbath are the true originators of metal and to be completely honest almost nothing else from the 70's is worth your time. It wasn't until the 80's that any band clearly surpassed sabbath in terms of metalness. Rainbow and Motörhead in the late 70's maybe.

1970s Judas Priest would like a word with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

1970s Judas Priest would like a word with you.

Still just sounds happy/Rock and rolly compared to even the first black sabbath song. Or compared to any of the early 80's thrash. Sabbath was singing about Satan with sinister vocals and tritone guitar riffs while DP and JP were playing happy upbeat rock riffs just a bit faster, and singing about cars and such. Point is that sabbath released 5 metal albums by 1973, and no one came close to that level of heaviness for years. Maybe 1978 or 1979 at the earliest. I'd say slayer was the first band to actually make a guitar riff heavier sounding than the song 'black sabbath'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I have yet to earn my Metalness, or whatever, I did listen to some early Judas Priest just to compare.

I have to agree that it does feel like hard rock, especially if I listen to Sabbath right before it etc. Their riffs are good, rhythm is interesting, but nowhere near as dark and just--enthralling as that first Sabbath album. I was instantly drawn in by Ozzy's vocals and the (and this surprised me the most) very SLOW cadence to the songs.

It's so much different than the modern stuff I've been sampling, but somehow, because of this slower underpinning of rhythm, it feels even darker and more sinister. Like the horns of hell itself were playing in the background.

It was eerie. It made my hair stand on end, and I am forever a Sabbath fan because of it.

What's important is, take a lot of these bands listed, and then branch off on your own looking for similar or related bands. Back in the day, there was no better feeling then rummaging through records and the local music bins looking for cool music, and when you find it, it's that much sweeter.

Baroque had a pretty good starter list to work from for you. Once you work your way into the 80s revisit and let us know, I can recommend some great stuff from that time onward.

@MetalAges

Sounds good. Should I continue this thread then, or start a new one for the 80s?