Scion Rock Fest

this:
so-called black metal bands whoring themselves out
~gR~

Ok? So what? You don't have to whore yourself out (and certainly not to mainstream, crowd-friendly companies) in order to be known.

Actually, the problem is probably not that of bands whoring themselves out but rather of what this event signifies, namely that these so-called black metal bands are safe enough to be pimped out by some gay car company and are thus fucking fags. Not so sure if that means anything for black metal as a whole.

Ok? So what? You don't have to whore yourself out (and certainly not to mainstream, crowd-friendly companies) in order to be known.

Actually, the problem is probably not that of bands whoring themselves out but rather of what this event signifies, namely that these so-called black metal bands are safe enough to be pimped out by some gay car company and are thus fucking fags. Not so sure if that means anything for black metal as a whole.

I don't see why that matters. I don't listen to these bands but I don't see why them 'going commercial' matters as far as the music is concerned.

Probably it has to do with the fact that most bands that 'go commercial' also coincidentally decide to 'go gay' in terms of musical output, since that's part of 'going commercial' as far as I'm aware. Coincidentally, all of the bands on this think either suck now or have always sucked.

Probably it has to do with the fact that most bands that 'go commercial' also coincidentally decide to 'go gay' in terms of musical output, since that's part of 'going commercial' as far as I'm aware. Coincidentally, all of the bands on this think either suck now or have always sucked.

that's generally true.

I don't see why that matters. I don't listen to these bands but I don't see why them 'going commercial' matters as far as the music is concerned.

For me, being interested in music and musical subcultures is not just a matter of being interested in a series of organized sounds. I don't appreciate fake rebellion being marketed as black metal.

Then why, pray tell, is a company which has a friendly and socially acceptable image to uphold putting on a show featuring said bands?

theyre good

edit: i also wanna point out that nearly the entire relapse line up is on that bill. i bet someone has a hook up
~gR~

Uh, no. Neurosis is at the peak of their career right now.

Boris, Baroness, Zoroaster, Withered, Rwake, Converge, Pig Destoyer, and Coalese are all absolutely NOT bad in ANY way shape or form.

well, i dont think neurosis is at their peak. that was a few years back. but theyre totally awesome and they revolutionized metal
~gR~

They didn't revolutionize anything. They took the sound of bands like Swans and Godflesh and added post-hardcore influences. So revolutionary.