Scion Rock Fest

So they've finally achieved mediocrity?

Heh, how anyone can dislike Neurosis puzzles the shit out of me.

They're clearly one of the most creative and forward thinking bands in metal history. They display an understanding of how to experiment without going into uneXpect territories, they understand a display of how to convey emotions through channels not usually taken (for example how often are "hardcore vocals" used to convey an emotion other than anger?), and create an atmosphere that is simply theirs and no one elses. (Not even the Isis/Cult of Luna/Pelican/Insert Neurosis ripoff band #213 can claim to have replicated them properly.)

And perhaps they didn't hit their peak now career wise, that was perhaps a few years back, but I still will fight for Given to the Rising being their best release to date.

Read my previous post for the primary reason why what you just said is wrong.

They didn't revolutionize anything. They took the sound of bands like Swans and Godflesh and added post-hardcore influences. So revolutionary.

Uh, their sound has nothing to do with either band really. If they had stopped at Through Silver in Blood you MIGHT have a small case, but clearly you don't because simply put the influences of those bands on Neurosis over the years has been increasingly minuscule.

Even then TSiB is hardly Swans/Godflesh + post-hardcore.

If their sound has nothing to do with either band, why do they acknowledge both bands as key influences? Steven Von Till even compared his songwriting and musical approach on his new solo album to that of Michael Gira. There's nothing in their music aside from hardcore influences that isn't found on albums by those bands. I actually question whether or not you're very familiar with them.

Key influences doesn't mean key parts of their sound though. Hundreds of bands cite Black Sabbath as key influences, yet never take part of their sound. Take into consideration too that Neurosis draws from sludge as well.

Admittedly I'm speaking from the limitations of having heard only Children of God, Filth, and The Great Annihilator from Swans - and Streetcleaner and Hymns from Godflesh, but honestly I really don't get the same musical feel from Neurosis as I do from them (they might invoke a similar aesthetic feel, however.) Neither, from what I heard, are as "submersive."

I realize that a lot of you don't care about these bands to begin with. But I'm not even sure what the relevance of the sponsor is to some of you. People are always complaining about the lack of metal events in this country, and then one actually happens (yes, I realize all of these bands "suck", and Wacken or Inferno destroy this, blah blah) it's so terrible.

Even if you don't care for the bands playing, this is a positive thing, in general.

Mort: Please, tell me things in their music that neither of those bands have done prior aside from hardcore influences. Also, the feelings you get from the music have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it's obviously heavily influenced by something else, or else I'd love every Burzum clone, most of which clearly try to evoke an atmosphere that Burzum wasn't going for despite playing similar music.

Mort: Please, tell me things in their music that neither of those bands have done prior aside from hardcore influences. Also, the feelings you get from the music have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it's obviously heavily influenced by something else, or else I'd love every Burzum clone, most of which clearly try to evoke an atmosphere that Burzum wasn't going for despite playing similar music.

When have Swans or Godflesh made use of ambient and tribal elements to their music?

Also what all have you heard of Neurosis' work, I take it perhaps one or two albums?

When have Swans or Godflesh made use of ambient and tribal elements to their music?

Many of Swans' albums have tribal-styled drumming on several songs, including The Great Annihilator. That album, and Love of Life and Soundtracks of the Blind, also all make considerable use of ambience. Actually, it should also be obvious to anyone that's heard Soundtracks for the Blind that the members of Godspeed You! Black Emperor have heard the album before.

I've heard their most recent album, along with A Sun That Never Sets, Souls at Zero and the one with Jarboe.

Many of Swans' albums have tribal-styled drumming on several songs, including The Great Annihilator. That album, and Love of Life and Soundtracks of the Blind, also all make considerable use of ambience. Actually, it should also be obvious to anyone that's heard Soundtracks for the Blind that the members of Godspeed You! Black Emperor have heard the album before.

I've heard their most recent album, along with A Sun That Never Sets, Souls at Zero and the one with Jarboe.

Perhaps we should expand our knowledge of the bands being discussed here more, I with Swans and you with Neurosis, because there is clearly something being missed on both sides of the field.

I'd suggest you listen to Through Silver in Blood and Times of Grace, make sure to have it synced up with the Tribes of Neurot release Grace, if you wish I have a good quality rip of them merged. Aside from the newest, Given to the Rising, those are the two best. Souls At Zero was a big transitional record for them and the Jarboe release really was kind of bad.

How exactly are those albums any different from the ones that I've heard? Aside from the fact that the band recorded albums that can be played simultaneously, which is the only original thing that I'm aware of them doing.

I just relistened to all the music on their MySpace, and it sounds like a slow, even more drugged out version of 90's Swans with hardcore vocals. Excuse me while I fail to be impressed.

So you guys remember this fest is free right?

Seriously, no one likes Tyr? Zoroaster? Toxic Holocaust?
Getting there is not free, so....

I've already seen many of the bands that I would be interested in anyway. Zoroaster played a free show here Monday. They are good as far as that style goes.

I don't think there's much of a Southeast presence on this forum.

Through Silver in Blood is their full emergence into their unique identity. Dropping the oververt "We Play Unique D-Beat Hardcore" thing and stepping into the world of sludge. Times of Grace expanded upon the sound of TSiB and instead of going for the raw power of it they took the approach of making it meant to be heard with the Grace album played at the same time, for a more immersive approach - one that properly surrounds the listener with their soundscapes.

Getting there is not free, so....

I've already seen many of the bands that I would be interested in anyway. Zoroaster played a free show here Monday. They are good as far as that style goes.

I don't think there's much of a Southeast presence on this forum.

Good point. I would not be going to this if I wasn't living in South Carolina atm. I also wasn't trying to imply anyone should go if they live far away.

For me, being interested in music and musical subcultures is not just a matter of being interested in a series of organized sounds. I don't appreciate fake rebellion being marketed as black metal.

That's fine. I understand that... if I liked those bands though it certainly wouldn't stop me from going to see them whether it's fake rebellion or not.

Any of you who have said that these bands have gone commercial and gay...

Have you seen Withered, or even heard their music? I saw them on tour with Watain and they absolutely blew me away. They were like a heavier Xasthur.

Septicflesh... have you heard the new album? The orchestration is amazing. And the fact that they're back together after so many years is enough to make a big deal over.

No, it's based off of the songwriting. But I won't go into this more, there's no reason to cause controversy.