Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
From: http://www.the-scorpions.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27725

-----------------------------------------

Important Message to our Fans
It was always our pleasure, our purpose in life, our passion and we were fortunate enough to make music for you - whether it was live on stage or in the studio, creating new songs.

While we were working on our album these past few months, we could literally feel how powerful and creative our work was – and how much fun we were still having, in the process. But there was also something else: We want to end the Scorpion’s extraordinary career on a high note. We are extremely grateful for the fact that we still have the same passion for music we’ve always had since the beginning. This is why, especially now, we agree we have reached the end of the road. We finish our career with an album we consider to be one of the best we have ever recorded and with a tour that will start in our home country Germany and take us to five different continents over the next few years.

We want you, our fans, to be the first to know about this. Thank you for your never-ending support throughout the years!

We uploaded the very first snippets from our new album for you.

And now… let’s get the party started and get ready for a “Sting in the Tail”!

See you on the world tour,

Yours

Scorpions

---------------------------------------------------

I got this from one of the German fans on the Scorps board who translated the German news article about the retiring.. I don't know German so I'm taking his Translation.

We retire. This will be our last album.

We don’t want that it becomes undeserving.

You can be embarrassed, dear reader, but to be honest: You can whistle it! As soon as you read the words ‘wind of change’, it begins again in your head. And, sorry for that, it won’t disappear so soon from your head … Täääähäääääke miiiii (the way germans speak ‘take me’)

The Scorpions, europe’s most successful rock band, inventors of the power ballad and not treated good by the german Feuilleton, just like Modern Talking or ‘Pur’ (other german band)

But, respect- more than 100 million sold records. 200 times gold, platinum and diamond awards, 3000 concerts world wide. And now this news: In this ‘Bild am Sonntag’ (name of the newspaper) the scorpions announce their separation after a 40 years lasting career.

‘Yes, we quit’ says the guitarist Rudolf Schenker, who founded the band, when he came with singer Klaus Meine (both 61 years old) und guitarist Matthias Jabs (54) this week as guests to our newspaper. We are working on our last album and prepare our last tour.

The Scorpions become pensionists. Why? ‘We don’t want that it becomes undeserving’, says Schenker. He says:” We aren’t that young anymore”. Singer Klaus Meine says the same:” We calculated a little. Now comes our new album, afterwards two, three years of touring. And in this time we won’t become younger”.

That’s true, of course

And:” We don’t want that our fans will say ‘in former they made kick-ass albums’ …”, explains Klaus Meine. “We retire better now with a hammer album and follow our hearts.” And the collective heart is beating to the same tact. It can’t be better! This album, then the tour over five continents, over two, three years – that’s the highlight, everything else after this is just a replication.

The name of the mentioned hammer album will be ‘Sting in the tail’ and will be released on the 19th of march. The last album, the last of 22. They will play about 200 concerts.
The last concert will probably be in the Madison Square garden in New York. Finally we want to make something real huge to the end and will finish this career with a strong album and a spectacular tour, says Meine and clenches his fist, just like he does it on stage when singing a power ballad like ‘wind of change’ or ‘still loving you’.

The answers to the question for the reason for the separation are different:

‘Because we are creative and physical (still (?)) on top’ (Klaus Meine)

‘A concert has also got to do with bodily activity. One day the body the body doesn’t act like you want. Before you reach that point, you should go. It’s better, when it is still kick ass in the end than having to retire’ (Rudolf Schenker)

‘Withdrawal symptoms will appear, but in what kind, that’s not clear yet’ (Matthias Jabs)

The Scorpions were founded 1965 by Rudolf Schenker and drummer Wolfgang Dziony (he was the drummer ‘til 1973). After some separations Klaus Meine sang on the new years eve 1969 the first time for the Scorpions. This had been at a gig in the Beat Club in Langelsheim near Goslar (german villages). 1971 they recorded the first album ‘lonesome crow’, that was releases in 1972. The first top ten hit was ‘still loving you’ – but first only in Switzerland.

The first No. 1 album was 1990 Crazy World. Nowadays the Scorpions are besides Meine, Schenker and Jabs the bass player from Poland Pawel Maciwoda and the American drummer James Kottak. Four bass players were exchanged, six drummers, two guitarists (Michael Schenker, brother of Rudolf, and the legendary Uli Jon Roth).

Besides big numbers you find also impressive names in the history of the band. “Bon Jovi were apprenticed to us”, Meine says “They opened for us and during our tour in 1984 they had to watch each and every show of us. Their manager told them to do it”. But we had the same experiences. When we were on our first U.S. tour in 1979 we opened for Ted Nugent. And we studied Ted Nugent who he catches the crowd.

‘Iron Maiden’ have been opener, Sepultura call the Scorpions ‘idols’, just like Axl Rose, singer of Guns’n’Roses, of whom the story is known, that he became musician because of the Scorpions. And Shakira made a commercial video wearing a Scorpions T-Shirt.

What will you do, when you are all of a sudden, after 40 years, no Scorpion anymore?
‘Who knows, what he will be doing in three years?’ Matthias Jabs asks back. “We don’t know, what we will be doing. There will be something different, something that give our lifes a meaning.

Rudolf Schenker, who just showed his trained body in an advertisement, uses a comparison: When you are climbing in the mountains, you don’t think about your breakfast you will have the next morning.
Singer Klaus Meine adds “It will be a complete new part of our life”

At least for the families the end of the Scorpions is a welcomed event, Meine says. With my wife Gabi I’m nearly as long together as with the Scorpions. 1972 we met each other for the first time, we married 1977, son Christian Julien was born 1985. Rudolf Schenker is divorced from his wife Margret after 37 years. Now he loves Tanja, 27 years old, former Miss Novosibirsk. Matthias Jabs is married with Beate in second marriage. His son, who was 18 years old to this time, was his groomsman.

Meine: “We were lucky that this friendship, that is typical for this band, never ended. I think this is something very extraordinary.”
But the band had not only good times. For example 1999, they were thinking seriously of retiring. At the end of the 90s, when alternative music came up, we had to fight, Klaus Meine remembers “the world of music had changed and we didn’t hit the spot anymore”

Jabs: To this time everybody thought he had to tell us what kind of music we had to do. They said it was old fashioned what we were doing, we had to do something new. That was the reason why we made music that didn’t fit to us.
Meine:” That was not an easy time for us and it took a while ‘til we came back to our success.

What kind of dreams are left after a 40 years lasting career as musician?
“We lived our dream’, says Meine, “We accomplished everything you can accomplish as rockband”.
They played on every continent (?) and in front of all prominents (for example 1991 Michael Gorbatschow in the Kreml). And what about the money? How rich are the Scorpions?
Rudolf Schenker:” It’s enough for life”

What is left to say? “We are happy, that we had the possibility as a german band, to make a world wide career and to find world wide so many fans. It’s meaning a lot to us, to begin the tour here in germany. Here, where everything began. The heart is beating fast, when you play at home.

A really nice final sentence. Now the right music and we all will be whistling.

I honestly believe this is the right thing to do for the band. I do not know if I can call it "retiring while on top" (even though Humanity was a good album for me) but the band is making the right decision. They have already given us 40 years of music and I'll always be grateful for their 80's period and for the great songs that they wrote. As a rock fan, their songs always brought back great memories and I think that's the measure of good music. :headbang:

Blackout was the first Scorps album I purchased back in '82 and I still play it from time to time.. truly a classic. I also bought LAFS when it came out and then went back and got Lovedrive and Animal Magnetism. All of which define what the Scorpions are to me. I never could get into their early work or much of their later stuff. Sad to see them go...

:headbang:

This does not surprise me. We must remember that the band has been around since 1972! Most fans became aware of them in the early 80's with the Blackout album and suppose, as I did back then, that they're an 80's band.
Looking forward to the album and also hoping that they lean more to the hard rock side on this last one and leave the ballads alone.

I was thinking that too. The cynic in me says this is just a ploy to increase album & ticket sales.

It's a probability as good as any other. But I think some bands/musicians feel they need to end while still in shape instead of going the Ozzy path.

Sentenced quitted but their own decision while still playing good IMO.

Jon Lord quit Deep Purple because he felt it was enough on the road.

Jason Newsted left Metallica even when the band was already baaaad but commercially succesful, he felt it was his time to go.

Algy Ward left Tank but he gave his blessing for them to continue without him (ludicrous..ehem).

And finally Dio left Black Sabbath (2nd time) in the "Dehumanizer" tour like we're never going to play again together and there's Heaven And Hell :Smug:

So make your bets ;)

Wyv, let's not forget KISS's Farewell tour. I'm glad it wasn't, but pissed I forked over $125 for that concert! (well, it was 1 helluva concert, but still)

I'd imagine this to be the Scorps last and would like to see them. They better come to London or Detroit.

i saw MSG thought it was about michael schenker group joining them
Me too :lol: If it's at MSG I'm going. i put off seeing them all these years and now if what they say is true then im there. But in reality I think someday they will miss not being together or be bored or need the money or won't like their post-scorpions projects that they will return.... :kickass:

Me too :lol: If it's at MSG I'm going. i put off seeing them all these years and now if what they say is true then im there. But in reality I think someday they will miss not being together or be bored or need the money or won't like their post-scorpions projects that they will return.... :kickass:

come see them in maryland