Scorpions call it a day after new album and tour!

Savage Pumpkin

AKA Mr. Future World
Sep 6, 2008
Skokie, IL
German rock legends the SCORPIONS have issued the following statement via their official website:

"Important message to our fans:

It was always our pleasure, our purpose in life, our passion and we were fortunate enough to make music for you - whether it was live on stage or in the studio, creating new songs.

While we were working on our album these past few months, we could literally feel how powerful and creative our work was – and how much fun we were still having, in the process. But there was also something else: We want to end the Scorpions' extraordinary career on a high note. We are extremely grateful for the fact that we still have the same passion for music we’ve always had since the beginning. This is why, especially now, we agree we have reached the end of the road. We finish our career with an album we consider to be one of the best we have ever recorded and with a tour that will start in our home country Germany and take us to five different continents over the next few years.

We want you, our fans, to be the first to know about this. Thank you for your never-ending support throughout the years!

All I can say is.....damn

Isn't it a little early to announce retirement when you have yet to release the album and complete a tour of 5 continents??? They have a lot of time to change their minds!!

And I still haven't seen em yet. I am definitely going to be seeing them multiple times during this tour, as long as they're coming to the US. I don't care how far I have to drive. One of my favorite bands of all time.

And I still haven't seen em yet. I am definitely going to be seeing them multiple times during this tour, as long as they're coming to the US. I don't care how far I have to drive. One of my favorite bands of all time.

They are headlining the M3 festival outside of Baltimore in the middle of June. It is an 80's themed show also featuring Cinderella, Vince Neil, Kix, Winger, LA Guns, Warrant, and a few more.

http://m3rock.webs.com/

Isn't it a little early to announce retirement when you have yet to release the album and complete a tour of 5 continents??? They have a lot of time to change their minds!!

Maybe Scorpions retirement will last as long as Ozzy's did. :lol:

woha!!! has anyone here been to the M3? that lineup sounds killers.

As for the Scorps, it caught me by surprise this news. The snippet sounds great and I thought that Humanity was one of their best records having a more modern sound yet keeping the Scorpions vibe and catchy choruses. Hopefully I get to see the Scorps in a non-American show, hopefully Germany since they seem to play a whole different set and have Uli onstage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think of it this way. They can still rock. Not like the 80s, but they can still deliver a hell of a show. At least, they're ending the career while still on "top". There are plenty of bands who are still doing it, and should have called it a day a looooong time ago so they at least wouldn't embarrass themselves.

they won't be changing their minds, Klaus has been thinking about this for the last few years. I know Rudolf is a crazed man still and lives for his music but if you've seen them live the last few years at times it appears they are only going thru the motions. Matthias looks bored onstage half the time, doesn't have the drive and excitement he used to.

The album is to his EU in April/May with a delay on the US release, hoping for a release before the June M3 show.

this is a two year tour plan, James will now have time to push his band KOTTAK more and who knows what Pawel will do. Rudolf has a book coming out soon in English "Rock your Life" and Matthias will be reopening MJ guitars in Germany where he sells vintage guitars as well as the Mastercaster and Galaxy guitars.

You all know I'm the "biggest" Scorps fan and I am truly sad but the time was drawing near.. better to go out on a high note than be an Ozzy who should've retired long ago.

At our age (okay my age) I think we should be seeing a lot of this in the next few years....but please dear Eddie; don't let Maiden be next.

The guys have been pounding the pavement since 1965....I was born in '66! 45 years is pretty good for any band. Let them enjoy their retirement. Who knows, we may get to see Rudi join Michael for a spell if he is bored.

I hope they come to the south. I've been trying to see them for a while, but could never schedule a trip. I'd also like it if they played a lot of their 70's stuff, but anything will do.

They are headlining the M3 festival outside of Baltimore in the middle of June. It is an 80's themed show also featuring Cinderella, Vince Neil, Kix, Winger, LA Guns, Warrant, and a few more.

http://m3rock.webs.com/
I must go to this! The line-up last year wasn't completely worth it for me, but I have never seen the Scorpions and come hell or high water I will see them (hopefully multiple times) before they call it a career.
Maybe Scorpions retirement will last as long as Ozzy's did. :lol:
Or Kiss'. Didn't their "Farewell Tour" last something like 10 years? Or is it still going? :lol:
The album is to his EU in April/May with a delay on the US release, hoping for a release before the June M3 show.
You should come visit Nick and I for that show. We live very close to the venue. ;)
You all know I'm the "biggest" Scorps fan and I am truly sad but the time was drawing near.. better to go out on a high note than be an Ozzy who should've retired long ago.

At our age (okay my age) I think we should be seeing a lot of this in the next few years....but please dear Eddie; don't let Maiden be next.
Sad as it is, I have to agree with you (and the Scorps) as far as going out on a high note is concerned. Who wants to be remembered as band that was basically beating a dead horse until no more money would come out? Unfortunately, it's a shame that one of the few bands to consider this, is also one of the bands I feel is still putting out great material I though Humanity: Hour One was an excellent album!

I think (and hope) Maiden still has a lot left in them, but I also wonder about the progression of this trend over the next 5-10 years. It's not something I'm looking forward to, but it will be interesting to see how various bands handle their approaching "retirements."

Damn, saw them in '08 and they were awesome.
07ScorpionsJK50.jpg

Got some great photos too. More here.

Looking forward to the last album and tour.