scott on illegal dl

Burger is a product, a form of food, but still a product.
Pay to enjoy it, taking and eating it for free from a burger stand is stealing.
Music is a product, a form of art, but still a product.
Pay to enjoy it, taking and listening to it for free is stealing.

But, what if your friend makes you a hamburger?
What if that same friend makes dozens of hamburgers with ingredients that he paid for and hands them out to random strangers.

Scott Ian is a businessman first and foremost. He is a very bad business man. Actually one of the worst businessmen in the industry. If he would just shut the fuck up and play music and not worry about the business side of things he might be a happier person. The reality is bands like Anthrax do just fine on the touring end. The already established bands with a big following like Anthrax are very successful in the touring department. Now that Joey is back hopefully Joey is getting a solid chunk of the profits from the tours as I know before he was back in the band the tours were dismal. Hiring Dan Nelson was the worst business decision he could have ever made. Thankfully for the fans his decision was terrible and they had to bring Joey Back which revitalized this band from the toilet.

All of that being said it really IS stealing when you download an album for free. Just like it is stealing when you save an image to your computer from a Google search. But there is no way that will ever be stopped unless some technology comes along that let's music be played in a different format or something far advanced that we don't even know about yet.

But in this day and age previewing an album before buying it is the norm. Only old people that don't know much about computers are the ones really purchasing albums blindly.

I do feel that record labels have stolen money from the consumer over the past 20 years buy releasing terrible albums, marketing them, and getting us to buy an album that we don't like.

This debate could go on forever but people like Scott that are old school will never let it go and just try to roll with the punches.

Maybe he and Lars can start some new campaign.

I get tired of the hypocrites bashing illegal downloading and sharing. We've ALL done it. Whether it's copying on cassette, CD, or free downloads, it's considered as stealing. I know damn well Scott and everyone else has done it at some point.

Downloading an album before buying to see if it's good enough for you is like going to a restaurant and after the meal deciding you're not going to pay because you didn't like the food you already ate.

Lame excuses.

I get tired of the hypocrites bashing illegal downloading and sharing. We've ALL done it. Whether it's copying on cassette, CD, or free downloads, it's considered as stealing. I know damn well Scott and everyone else has done it at some point.

home_taping_is_killing_music_and_its_illegal.jpg

But, what if your friend makes you a hamburger?
What if that same friend makes dozens of hamburgers with ingredients that he paid for and hands them out to random strangers.

wELL, if its his party & he is handing it out for free...go ahead enjoy it, but it would be a bit unfriendly of u to eventually, take the burger and sell it..eheh..

Some friends are willing to dish out free burgers for their friends once a year to celebrate..its normal..& giving the burgers to strangers, how nice of that fella, yep there are nice people in the world, and arent we lucky to meet some stranger giving away free stuff..

Downloading an album before buying to see if it's good enough for you is like going to a restaurant and after the meal deciding you're not going to pay because you didn't like the food you already ate.

Lame excuses.

I'm a bartender. If someone orders food at my bar and they don't like it. I don't charge them for it. Simple as that. And also, when I was a kid. I remember a music store that allowed you to return cd's if you didn't like it without charging a restocking fee.

Lame excuses.

If you could sample the food before you purchased it I am sure you would. It will make it so restaurants would have to cook quality food or they would be out of business.

This age of downloading/internet might not be how the labels want it to be but it's a reality. It is great for the consumer as we are able to listen to something before we decide to spend our money on it. It makes it so a band has to release a quality product or not many people will purchase the albums. Why would anyone purchase a product they don't like?

When you buy a new car you usually go test drive it before you buy it. You don't just blindly purchase any random car only to decide you don't like it and have wasted your money on it.

There are many people who simple purchase the CD only to support the band because they listened to it and want to give back. Thats just the reality world we live in now. Instead of complaining about it these bands and labels need to work with the technology and roll with the times.

I am sure many 60's artists are still pissed that 8 track and reel to reel players are not on the market.

The only bands and labels that are able to survive right now are the ones adapting to what is going on. There is no way possible you are going to stop the downloading. So there is no more room for labels to sign terrible bands and shove them down your throat. We the consumers have choices. Great for us, bad for the labels and in some cases the artists. That's just the way it is

I'm a bartender. If someone orders food at my bar and they don't like it. I don't charge them for it. Simple as that. And also, when I was a kid. I remember a music store that allowed you to return cd's if you didn't like it without charging a restocking fee.

To use food as an analogy is a bit off. Music is an art form and it is also a business where the creator of the product (mostly) ends up giving their hardwork to others for profit gain.

Before the internet, the only way to steal music was to walk into a music store and physically walk out with something

I remember an interview where Lars was talking about making copis of his NWOBHM albums for James when they were younger. Same thing, no?

To use food as an analogy is a bit off. Music is an art form and it is also a business where the creator of the product (mostly) ends up giving their hardwork to others for profit gain.

I'm just responding to the other food analogies on here. Consumers have rights, especially in this tough economy. I'm not saying downloading music without paying for it is right. But it's just the way things are in this day and age. I've only ever done it for albums I can't wait to listen to before they come out. The industry has adjusted itself by the way. I've been going to concerts for over 20 years now. Ticket prices have gone up far faster than the rate of inflation. If a band puts on a shitty show, you don't get your money back. So reading about an artist being pissed at his own fans is a bit disturbing.

I haven't bought a DVD in ages because of Netflix, yet I don't see my favorite actors complaining about it in interviews. Hollywood seems to be doing fine at keeping up with technology.

I feel he's right about it. On the other hand, as someone else has said, the music business and the record companies did not go well with the sign of the times. It was pretty common to share music on tapes when I was young. Without it I would have never probably discovered metal in the first place.

I'm just responding to the other food analogies on here. Consumers have rights, especially in this tough economy. I'm not saying downloading music without paying for it is right. But it's just the way things are in this day and age. I've only ever done it for albums I can't wait to listen to before they come out. The industry has adjusted itself by the way. I've been going to concerts for over 20 years now. Ticket prices have gone up far faster than the rate of inflation. If a band puts on a shitty show, you don't get your money back. So reading about an artist being pissed at his own fans is a bit disturbing.

I haven't bought a DVD in ages because of Netflix, yet I don't see my favorite actors complaining about it in interviews. Hollywood seems to be doing fine at keeping up with technology.

I forgot to mention that merchandise at concerts has gone up drastically too faster than inflation. I've seen t-shirts as high $45.

Lame excuses.

Not sure about that. Back in the day, I would go to the music store and there listen to the new CDs coming out. I bought what I liked after listening to it.

Today, downloading an album can replace going to the music store.

Keeping the files and not buying the album after you decide you like the music is the problem. Not the downloading itself.

Back in the day, I would go to the music store and there listen to the new CDs coming out. I bought what I liked after listening to it.

Today, downloading an album can replace going to the music store.

Keeping the files and not buying the album after you decide you like the music is the problem. Not the downloading itself.

This, more or less. If you find something you like by downloading, make sure you buy the album. Support the goddamn artists!

The sense of entitlement that some people show and the "it's 2011"-argument is absolutely cringeworthy!

This, more or less. If you find something you like by downloading, make sure you buy the album. Support the goddamn artists!

The sense of entitlement that some people show and the "it's 2011"-argument is absolutely cringeworthy!

I wasn't presenting an argument when I stated its 2011. What the poster above me said, keeping the files after you decide you like something is wrong but it's the grim reality of the times. How about if a journalist poses this question to Scott: hypothetically speaking, if you were an average fifteen year old kid today, would your entire music collection be all purchased legally?

I wasn't presenting an argument when I stated its 2011. What the poster above me said, keeping the files after you decide you like something is wrong but it's the grim reality of the times. How about if a journalist poses this question to Scott: hypothetically speaking, if you were an average fifteen year old kid today, would your entire music collection be all purchased legally?

True; in this day and age, I guess nobody can say that their entire music collection is purchased legally. Also; I don't fully agree with Scott when he's saying "oh, don't bring up the 'I'm just checking out the stuff before I buy'-argument" because I some of us (a dwindling minority, it seems) actually do that. I'm all for downloading stuff to see if you like it, but if you DO like it; support the artist and buy the album!

However, to a certain extent, Scott is not wrong: He is the artist; this is his (their) work, and I think he should be paid. All these people that go into an uproar and curse his name because he wants to get paid for doing his job ... I just don't get it! Just because it's easier to steal than ever before, doesn't make it right ... :loco:

To conclude: I'd say that he definitely has a point. There's no rational way of denying it. Saying "It's so easy" or "It's the music industry's fault" or "he's a millionaire, so he doesn't deserve getting paid" doesn't make his point less valid. You're stealing a commercial product that easily can be purchased legally. I mean, if you can download it, you can also buy it.

I also downloaded some CDs that I already had bought, because I wanted to listen to them in my mp3player and didn't want to wait till I get home :lol: