scouts thread

The legal issues with the BSA is that they receive federal funds and get free passes to use air force bases for jamborees and stuff.

In my troop I knew one other atheist and I'm sure his dad, who was committee chair was as well. I just never said anything and participated in the religious things as little as I could. I was only an atheist for the final 1.5 years of it though, before that I guess you could say I was an agnostic believer in that I had never seriously considered the subject.

The only time I really felt bad was at Philmont when our Scoutmaster/Crew Leader made us say grace and have nightly prayer things. Luckily our chaplain was a cool guy and made them hilarious.

I guess overall, BSA made me a stronger person despite its bigotry, and for that I'm thankful. I just wish they would think rationally and learn that their policies are ignorant and hateful.

yeah, i always avoided the chapel services. theyre all optional, and since theyre usually at the end of camp, id just stay back and pack up my gear. the only exception was at the last camp i did in okinawa. the entire camp went to services. i went to the handy craft tent (where i taught most of my classes) and chowed down on some japanese family mart food. oh so bad, but oh so good. no one really asked where i was. the camp chaplain was also my squadron chaplain, so he knew what was up.
~gR~