Screaming tips? (since there's a thread about growling...)

Oinkness said:
There is no transition smoothly from speaking voice to screams. I find that screams take a lot more effort than speaking normally, and it takes different efforts in different areas depending on the kind of scream. I wouldn't mind recording a MP3 "tutorial" type crap thing for you guys but it will have to wait until the weekdays when I'll have some free, private time. A video tutorial really wouldn't help you at all except for a few giggles, as you get to see the wide opened mouths and pained faces of people screaming their balls off! :lol: You can't actually see inside their throat to see what is blocking and where it's hitting, so it wouldn't work out for you. I'll see what I can come up with, is there anything in particular you guys would like recorded?

I beg to differ. The transition I make can be pretty smooth. But then again this is all of a matter of opinion.

Hmm I'm not too familiar with Enslaved screams, but I'll most-likely be recording this thing tommorow, so I'll listen and see what I can come up with. :)

Ok, here it is. A lot of goofing off in there too. :)

http://yukki.no-ip.org/satanicdirge/secret/oinkness_screamintut_sneap128.mp3

I didn't hear Enslaved's vocalist overnight so I have no idea what he sounds like. And incase you were wondering, making noises and doing different voices does help develop voice strength, and my voice is very weak so I make a lot of noise. I didn't do it on the mp3 but I'm always walking around doing loud falsetto screams / and priest-like falsetto... :)

:guh: Wow! Freaky. Funny stuff. You would be great at cartoon voice over work. Your screams are killer. At one point for a second you sounded like Chuck Schuldner to me. :kickass: The end sounds like a didgeridoo.

This is no knock on you at all but to me your method sounds so forced. It sounds like you have no clue what your doing. I repeat though this is no knock on you. This type of voice has prove to be a stable in a lot of metal vocals. Its just not my cup of tee. Like you said its impossible to explain but I am pretty sure I know what your doing. It sounds like you are using way more throat then body. You make mention that you can not transition between your talking voice and your yelling, correct? To me this seems like a dead give away for poor technique. But then again if it works for you then who am to say diffrent.

EDIT: Serious don't take what I said personally. For real, its just not my cup of tea.

What you say is true, man. I have no idea what the heck I'm doing and my technique is probably bad. I just close my throat a bit and push. I don't really know much about the proper technique, I just do what works I guess. :cool: I can do a lower pitched scream, but it takes a lot more focus because the high pitch ones are what I'm used to doing.

Thanks Radd, hehe... I'd love to do Cartoon voiceover work. The end is some kind of "throat singing" type stuff. Not really sure what it's called but I learned how to do it from a Futurama commentary, really. On that episode where they're rustling beetles on Mars or something.

I have no idea why my microphone can't record normal talking, but it's fine for screaming. Maybe because the screams are so much louder... I talk very quiet. Haha I'm playing this back and I totally sound like Forrest Gump or Cleveland from Family Guy :p

And check out da brilliant improv leericks...

There is a dude named Andy Sneap, his forum's very good!
Sneap! Why you got to teach me all that crap? Why! AHH! Sneap!
Whawhawhawha-what! I don't know what to say! Wow! Snoop!

Wooow! Sneap, sneap, sneap sneap, snipe! Roar!

Also I put some clean vocals in there near the end just for fun... Sneap is my friend, sneap is my friend, yeah! ...