screams and grunts precision on tips

wraithless

New Metal Member
Dec 4, 2008
hi,this is probably one of the 100 topics about vocals but i need some help,first of all,can someone explain to me how wayne static (static-x) does his screams if anyone knows or jeff walker (carcass) does his snarling thing,however i've been trying to growl for some time now,i'm quite sure that i use my diaphragm,but there's something i'm missing because diaphragm control won't give me a monster voice by itself,so..if anyone has some good tips,help please

I'll give you a couple short tips. I do deathcore vocals...highs/lows/gutterals/squeals. Drink luke warm water when you want to practice. If it's too cold it closes up your throat a bit. The number one thing you need to be careful about is do NOT use voice. You will RUIN your throat. That technique is called vocal fry and you will be screwed for life if you do that. The most obvious tip is that all of your support should come from your diaphragm. If you scream for a few minutes and your throat hurts, you're either using too much voice or stressing your throat/trying too hard. Don't think of screaming as a noise produced from your throat up...think of it as throat down...stomach muscles all that...mainly diaphragm. That being said, screaming is a big work out so your chest should be super tired after you do so. I don't know if any of that will help you, but screaming is all about technique, not yelling at the top of your lungs. Just be careful and work on it. Hope some of that is helpful.