Screen Shots Guitar Chains

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
Do not reply with whatever sounds good, or my settings wont help you.

I was thinking we could get some in the box guitar chains going here with some screen shots. I'm very interested in seeing some post eq screen shots, i know mine can have some pretty gnarly looking cuts. This would be so helpful for some of us new to all in the box guitar/bass processing.

I don't have screen shots but i will post them later. my last chain i tried was

Great River 1NV -> Fireface 800 ->

Plugin Chain

- Digi eq3 (roll off sub lows (40hz ish) and extreme highs (16khz ish)
- Podfarm (Gate, Tube Screamer, Criminal Amp Head)
- Recabinet (Oversize, 57 Close)
- Digi eq3 (drastic cuts around 3.8khz and 4.3khz) Roll off around 110hz and roll highs around 8khz)
- Waves C4 (only compressing 80 - 300 area a couple db)
- Waves L1

I double tracked and hard panned and used the same chain on both tracks.
Although it sounded "realistic" is seemed quite "thin" sounding almost. Im sure this has to do with cab blending and such. Thats what im here to learn.

Im wondering how many layers of cabinets and stuff most people are doing. I think this is going to be a helpful thread toward the future of In the box mixing.

\m/\m/

index.php
:)

Im not looking for "presets" im more interested in the way you blend cabs and such. I hate the my presets wont help answer, presets/screen shots are a great way for people to begin experimenting. I obviously wasnt going to "steal" your preset, it wouldnt work for my material. But i could study why you made the decisions you did, and theres a lot to be learnt doing that.

not to really get into this debate but in all seriousness, how could knowing what decisions I or anyone else made in regards to EQing a guitar track be beneficial to you in any way if you yourself admit that it wouldn't work for your material?

I'm being completely serious here

Far better to just learn the fundamentals of EQing and what it does than to look at screenshots of settings that are so far removed from your context they can't do much more than confuse you, especially when you see 5 sets of screen shots and every EQ is set different

You are looking to deep into it this. Im used to micing cabs the old fashion way, a little bit of "modern" in the box guitar help would benefit me. I was just curious as to if most of us are doing radical eq cuts all the time or usually doesnt need it? ( I know when i use podfarm it doesnt matter what the material is im generally removing offensive frequencies, and they are usually relatively in similar spots. I was also hoping for some ir advice, ex. If most of us prefer to use 1 cab per side of the spectrum.
Not trying to debate either but if you read my first post it said
"Do not reply with whatever sounds good, or my settings wont help you." If you didnt want to participate/help then don't. I think people including myself would benefit from some starting points and general guidelines. This whole my settings debate wont help you is kind of stupid. If starting points and guidelines were not helpful than amazing tutorial books and presets wouldn't exist. I don't open my compressor plugin click "vocal" and that's it. But i might click "vocal" and begin working from there. Just my 2 cents.

not to really get into this debate but in all seriousness, how could knowing what decisions I or anyone else made in regards to EQing a guitar track be beneficial to you in any way if you yourself admit that it wouldn't work for your material?

I'm being completely serious here

Far better to just learn the fundamentals of EQing and what it does than to look at screenshots of settings that are so far removed from your context they can't do much more than confuse you, especially when you see 5 sets of screen shots and every EQ is set different

It gives you a better vision of how other people do their thing, which may be beneficial for you if you want to change your mixing approach in the future, you may even discover that a guitar tone you really like has a not common pedal in front of the amp, or a plugin nobody uses. You never know, you might end up going for a similar guitar chain or approach that another guy has for your next album.

Fey88vl.png

This is the chain for when I push my ENGL E530 hard. I start by going DI into my interface, where I clip the signal with a TS and add a slight boost at 800hz and 1600hz and a bass/treble roll-off.

After that, the sound goes out of the interface into the ENGL, where the gain is about 4-5, the bass is about 3, low mids maxed, high mids about level 9, and the treble about 5.

Going back into the interface, I put KeFir on there with Catharsis's spreshigh impulse. I then put a multiband compressor on there, keeping the lows tamed. Next, I tackle all the peaks created by the preamp and the impulse. Finally, I gate that fucker.

HQaEB2Q.png

This is my current clean chain, though it might be changing. I go straight into my ENGL for this one, with the low gain clean channel on and the bass at 3, mids at max and treble at max, and brightness on. I add a nice ENGL cab impulse, followed by an EQ to remove problem areas. I then add KarmaFX's verb, which gives me a nice, shimmery clean tone.

YMMV.

Guitars used:
Driven Hard: Jackson DKMG with EMG81 in the bridge
Clean: PRS SE Custom with Liquifire in the neck