<- screwed most completely by my university

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
blahh blaah blah livejournal-style post

starting next week, I have to teach (pre-prac) one day per week at an area high school. since I need to keep my full-time (five days per week) job, I spent the past several months doing a whole lot of juggling and cajoling in order to get my boss to allow me to flex my schedule around the pre-prac. Thursdays at Brighton High seemed best, because BH is about 20 minutes' bike ride from BC (less on the T) so I could end my day at 1:40 and then head to BC to put in my hours. so I requested it. It's also five minutes from my house.

over the summer I kept calling and visiting to see if pre-prac placements had been assigned yet, and they kept saying No, but I was surely going to get the one I requested, so calm down.

two weeks ago they said they would be contacting us within two weeks with our final placements and I again asked and they said everything's fine, just wait two weeks before bothering us again.

today I got an e-mail placing me at a school in fucking SOUTH BOSTON, an hour and a half away by T and, as far as I can tell, generally unbikeable (especially with fall/winter approaching).

when I brought it to their attention, they were very friendly and helpful, but there wasn't much they could do. why not? because Brighton High's program started last week. why didn't anyone tell me that?! they're very sorry, they don't know why not.

sooo instead of having a five-minute commute in the morning, i'll now have an hour-and-a-half commute, and the 9am to 9pm day (9-midnight on days I work part-time, too) at my paying job will become a reality because I won't be able to make it back to BC in time to work a half-day, so i'll have to make the hours up on pretty much two other days.

what the fuck!

I'll be much less physically-fit because instead of biking as I prefer, i'll have to take the fucking T.

and yeah, the alumni fund-raising letters are getting the shred treatment. Not that I seriously considered them anyway at this point. (after the parking-ticket fiasco which is STILL ON MY STUDENT ACCOUNT, UNPAID)

southie.jpg

I don't care about how crappy an area South Boston is--in fact I would rather teach in a crappy school than a privileged one (Brighton High verges toward crappier than privileged, though). It's the location, location, location.

Aw honey I'm sorry that you are not having a good day with all of this. Because my new boss is a prick and won't stop staring at my boobs and making inapropriate comments about my legs I have to leave my job and start somewhere else. Thus my commute goes from 3 minutes to an hour. Yippy skippy. You should get a cell phone and we can talk while we commute.

That really does suck. I thought stuff like that only happened to me.

That commute sounds ridiculous though - why so long? I don't really know much about traveling in cities, and I've never been to Boston, but isn't the T some sort of train/subway system? How can it take so long to get from one side of the city to the other?

Well, if xfer plans on taking the subway like I do (hungover) he'll end up asleep and at the end of the line being woken up like a hobo who seeks shelter during a snowstorm and forced to realize how far past his destination he is and completely reverse directions, nearly doubling his travel time.

I live at the end of the Green Line (the slowest route--B) so I have to walk to the T (10 minutes) wait for the T (0-45 minutes) take the T all the way into the city (50 minutes) transfer to a different line (0-15 minutes), take the T out to Southie (unknown minutes) and possibly then transfer to a bus (unknown minutes).

Anyway, I thought about this and I decided I am feeling sorry for myself, so let's hear no more expressions of sympathy. Thanks, though.

Well then, to be positive about the whole thing, it's one of the major steps along your chosen path and you're getting it done one way or another, which is never a bad thing.

like a hobo who seeks shelter during a snowstorm and forced to realize how far past his destination he is and completely reverse directions, nearly doubling his travel time.

The worst is when nobody wakes you up, all intimidated by the long hairs. As if if so much as touch you, you'd wake up and savagely stab them with the aids-infested needle that just has to be stuck in a festering wound on your arm somewher inside your jacket >: (

Once, I told the lady in the opposite seat from mine that I was gonna doze off for a while and if she could wake me up when we arrive at that station, I'd greatly appreciate it (kinda stupid thing to do I guess, but I was so so tired) and she was all ok right and when I woke up (thankfully in time) she had switched seats all the way in the back and all I had time to do was the scary evil eye thing >: (